Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

TexasAg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
The rumors are coming fast and furious these days. Hopefully that's a good sign release is imminent!

Comment

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
woah, man, so many rumors and it's only may [day] with release not expected until june - even end of june if to be released on the 1 yr anniversary . . . would be nice if at WWDC, the steve just releases it into the wild!!

Comment

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
This seems to fit in quite well with 9to5Mac's story below. I certainly hope it is true, and 9to5Mac have a good track record for accurate rumours.
9to5Mac said:
Apple's plans iPhone diversity for June
Apple’s iPhone plans continue to leak, or so it seems as the pre-June rumour mill continues to drive through the gears - now a new report claims we’re going to see not one, not two but three different models of the device.
These reports confirm our earlier “Apple plots iPhone diversity roadmap” story, which claimed Apple plans to diversify its iPhone product range in order to widen its reach in the mobile phone market.
The latest leak comes from the Taiwan Economic News, which claims three models of the iPhone may appear. The first will be a smaller, lighter handset with a plastic rather than aluminium magnesium case.
This device will weigh just 110-120g, less than the 135g weight of the current model. It will also offer a 2.8-inch screen, rather than the 3.5-inch screen currently offered on the iPhone.
The smaller model won’t offer 3G support. Instead, Apple intends selling a higher-specified iPhone equipped with such support. This handset will also offer GPS and will have a larger case, presumably more or less the same dimensions as the existing handset.
Finally, Apple plans to maintain its current generation iPhone as a third middle option.
“Components suppliers in Asia pointed out that Apple has asked them to ready materials for the new phones by the end of next month. They are asked to deliver components enough for 300,000 phones in the initial stage and components enough for three million phones in June,” reports the Taiwan Economic News.
Multiple rumours meanwhile suggest Apple will also mark June’s introduction of the new generation iPhones - and the next version of the software that runs all iPhones - with a widespread launch of the device to multiple companies, perhaps on a carrier-agnostic sales model.
Australia, South America, Canada, India, Russia, many European states, Korea and more all seem set to see the product launch, perhaps as part of an overweaning push to help Apple secure the level of sales it requires in order to meet its ten million sales target by the end of the financial year.
Link.

Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Black or white instead of metal? Meh. If they do that, it had better at least reduce the weight.

Comment

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
The future is....

boring. All this insider information is going to make the release anti-climatic. Seems like we know everything already. Shape, size, color, features. Can someone please develop a software so i can control my car James Bond style with it?

All joking aside, can't wait for WDDC. Bring on the goods Steve!

Comment

hondje

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
South Bend, IN
this is getting tiresome

.............but I guess this is why we call it macRUMORS!!! Keep it coming! I'll get my 3G iPhone soon! Can't wait!

Ddub

Comment

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I'm not sure about it looking more like a Blackberry... but I'll go with a sleeker look, which I'm sure Apple will deliver!

I'm hoping it's got a frontside camera - sounds like it may have. This would go well with 3G video calls but also opens possibilities for iChat video as they suggest!

Counting down the days...! :cool:

Comment

Shasterball

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Bah. too much speculation. Does it matter if it has a possible 3rd sensor near the ear piece? Is that a deal breaker?

Comment

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
When was the last time Apple chose plastic over aluminium? Rumors of an aluminium encased MacBook make a lot more sense than an iPhone with a plastic backing.

Comment

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
If high quality polymer based materials make the iphone lighter and give better reception... bring it on. It is currently a bit heavy in the pocket.

"Plastic" doesn't necessarily mean cheap or less durable. Perhaps I have too much faith in Apple, but I don't think they will make (at least on the outside) this new iPhone have a cheaper feel (unless of course it is a cheaper version).

Comment

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Definitely exciting times!

I hope they dont put more plastic on it, that would cheapen it in my opinion. I like my metal backing and mine has no dents or scratches at all. I also hope my nice Vaja case still works with the new dimensions.

Comment

scotty56

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Oregon
This is 100% bulls****, Apple will never replace the aluminum for plastic.

End of this rumor.

Agree 100% here. After all, Stevie was the one who was making a point to go totally environmentally friendly. Putting more plastic on the iPhone will certainly raise the hairs of the environmentalist.

Comment

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Agree 100% here. After all, Stevie was the one who was making a point to go totally environmentally friendly. Putting more plastic on the iPhone will certainly raise the hairs of the environmentalist.

Yes, but putting aluminum over all the additional antenna will certainly raise the hairs of all those poor radio signals trying to make their way out of the phone.

Comment

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Well, if the third sensor is a camera, as some have anticipated, then it might be something worth holding out for.

if the phone is 3G then video calls are pretty much part of the deal so a camera on the front of the phone is a necessity. The one I have on my current 3G phone is about as good as you'd expect it to be for video calls, it makes everyone look like Mr Bean.

Comment

nixtacy8

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2008

I also 100% agree as well. No way will it be plastic. If they do anything to the back, I do like the idea of giving it a more tapered feel. It will be easier to get out of my pocket... ;) For some reason I feel like making it a glossy plastic, it would give it a cheap overall feeling, I don't care what people say about "good plastic". Apple isn't one for making things look cheap...

Comment

bruk201ib

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
London, UK
As usual I promise myself not to read anymore rumors on the iPhone, but it's harder thank I thought. Everyday a new thing comes out... and there is still a month (or probably more) to go

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
For weight, can be lightened up a bit, but I don't really care. If they need to increase the weight to add GPS, 3G, radio, I don't mind as long as it only raises the weight by a few grams.

I would like GPS, 3G, radio (AM, FM, XM & internet) as well as a second camera (both still & video) on the front for video chats & self pictures. I tried taking a picture of me w/ my dog and it was at some weird angle.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.