I'm cutting my sim down to a micro sim Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nwlondonlad, Jun 17, 2010.

1. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Thought I'd make a thread for all the people who will be trimming down their sim cards to a micro sim on the 24th.

Ideally the networks should be sending out micro sims, but due to one reason or another a lot of us may have to resort to doing it ourselves.

I'm with t-mobile uk and the chances of me getting a micro sim before the 24th seem slim or should I say sim.

Please feel free to post any tips, links, suggestions or thought here.

For me personally a good pair of scissors seems to do the trick.:)

2. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

http://www.cutmysim.com/ Doesn't appear to ship until early July though.

I guess freestyle with scissors will have to suit your needs before then.

3. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

huh this makes no sense to me what...:confused: all iphone come with a micro sim....

4. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Haha, yeah good point. Unless there's some funny business going on in the UK that I don't know about?

5. Pennine macrumors 6502

What even unlocked ones from Apple store?

6. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I'm thinking a stanley knife and a ruler will be more accurate than scissors.

7. Stiss macrumors 6502a

I've ordered 5 free sims from T-Mobile UK to practice on!

Should be here in a few days time.

8. nwlondonlad thread starter macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

This applies if you already have an existing standard sim card on pay as you go or on contract and need to get your info ported to a micro sim.

A lot of the networks in the UK are new players to the iPhone and are clueless bout the whole micro sim thing

9. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

well without contract ones would be from att not apple. well i guess if your going that way might be easier to ask the other carrier if they have micro sims :S

10. nwlondonlad thread starter macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Same here. You can also order a free iPad micro sim from o2 and 3 just to give you a rough idea of the size and dimension

http://freesim.o2.co.uk/sKTLPi92

11. BForstall macrumors newbie

I\'m planning on cutting down a T-mo sim. I practiced on an old AT&T sim I had...it\'s not too hard to do.

12. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

The funny business in the UK is we're getting unlocked iPhones so they don't have to supply a micro-sim.

Nobody seems sure if they'll be available to us on launch day.

13. lawrencelaptop macrumors member

Anyone gonna go use an O2 Text and Web Sim?

I've got a text and web sim that I'm planning on cutting down to shove in my iPhone when it arrives and was just wondering if you think it would work on the normal instructions shown below?

• Go to settings menu, choose General
    • Choose Network, then Cellular Data Network
    • In the cellular data APN box, change idata.o2.co.uk to payandgo.o2.co.uk - you don't need to change the username and password.
    • Then, in the MMS APN box, change idata.o2.co.uk to payandgo.o2.co.uk - you don't need to change the username and password.
    • Visual voicemail isn't available for Pay & Go customers. You don't need to update the APN in this box.
    • When finished, switch your iPhone off and back on again
    • Finally top-up by a minimum of £10 if you've not topped up already.

Just a curiosity- I don't think I'd be able to cope if after this long wait (7 whole days left :'() I couldn't get it working with the sims I have

14. Lauting macrumors member

You could probably use this on the iPhone 4 if you buy it sim free and then visit:

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

To swap your existing 02 number over to the micro sim.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The best way to cut your sim is with a sharp knife like a Stanley blade and a chopping board. Use the edge of the board so you can push the whole blade down to it chops rather than slices. I found scissors are ok but bend the sim as you cut.

I've done 5-6 sims this way for my iPad all work perfectly.

For any virgins the long straight side does pass through two sim contact points. Don't worry there no longer used.

16. nwlondonlad thread starter macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Ive heard this wont work as the ipad micro sims are registered with data only and thus 'computer says no'

On another note my 4 free payg sims have just arrived from T-mobile. Time to get the scissors out :D

17. nlr macrumors 6502

I would practise aswell but what are the sizes of a micro sim? and is there a template I could use as I heard it requires advanced engineering skills to perform the task successfully.

18. iguigy macrumors member

19. nlr macrumors 6502

20. iguigy macrumors member

21. germanjulian macrumors regular

mhhh hopefully I will get my new vodafone simplicity plan soon with my micro-sim I asked for

22. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Hehe, your chances are sim indeed. :p

OK that's good to know! Seems that all the other "Edward Scissorhands" are ignoring your advice. :D

23. nlr macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if my vodafone UK blackberry unlimited plan will work on my iphone 4 (internet) once I cut it?

24. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Just attempted to cut my first T-Mobile sim to size. Worked fine. Didn't even use a template.

However, the metal contacts on the T-Mobile sim are smaller so I'm only cutting through plastic. Not the best test then.

25. nwlondonlad thread starter macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

I would go with the knife option but I don't have a Stanley blade. Maybe I could pick one up from one of the pound shops?

Or is it one those type of blades you have to get from a hardware shop and probably retails for £15 cos you have to buy a pack when you only need one for a few seconds?