I'm Getting Really Annoyed with Not Having Multi-Tasking (Idea)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Dec 14, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Even on my 5S, I'm beginning to get vexed that in iOS 8 we still don't have the option to at least watch YouTube and browse Safari. With my 6 Plus box in the other room (waiting until my birthday to open because I'm like that with gifts to myself ;)), the situation is just going to be exacerbated and made more ridiculous.

If I worked at Apple I would do this: have developers create optimized apps that have a split-screen version so that multi-tasking is incredibly fine-tuned, and make the quality of this version part of the approval process if a developer chooses to make an app split-screen ready. Boom. (Feel free to contact me to work out a deal to purchase this idea, Tim.)

2. 100 macrumors member

Return your gift and go android. Why buy something that is going to annoy you?

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've owned every iPhone to date. One missing feature doesn't break the experience for me but it does sour it a bit.

4. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

I owned iphones since the first one came out, I finally had enough so I switched to the Note 4 and it is GREAT!! Many things I always said "maybe the next iphone will have/do this", this phone has it or does it.

True multi-tasking, yes, expandable memory, yes, higher resolution, yup, a better camera, that too...and it has so much more too.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think you will get multitasking on IPhones and iPads, just not now. Rumors say the iPad Pro is support "true" multitasking.

6. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

If you rally want the multitasking coming with ios 9 wait. It is going to be a less than ideal experience with 1gb ram. I am predicting it will be Apple's upgrade "gotcha" next year.

If you need a phone now, buy the 6 and prepare for an upgrade or go Nexus/Note for a year.

7. sunking101, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

A wobbly volume button too.

8. dkh587 macrumors regular

Try Tubex

It allows you to play YouTube videos in the background

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have no need for multitasking at this time.

10. Technarchy, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

95% of smartphones on the market don't have multitasking as you're defining it.

So what you are really saying is you are sick for your wanting of an LG or Samsung.

That's fine, but no need for these sleeper threads.

11. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Sorry directed at op. Always hit the wrong button on moble.

But you will wonder how you lived without multitasking when it comes! Just like cut and paste, front facing camera, bigger screen, ect

12. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Lagfest, yes, horrible Touchwiz UI, yes, substandard build quality, yes.

I'd rather omit split-screen if it comes with a side of lag, thank you very much.

13. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The multitasking I'm defining is the way I would do it if I were Apple.

But yes, most smartphones don't have actual multitasking.

----------

Unfortunately only audio.

14. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

Apple is like a big annoying lady you at DMV, She knows people want something, but just wouldn't do or choose to do it at the slowest pace possible.

nothing you can do other than switch. It's the only way to get Apple to take its customers seriously.

15. HenryDJP macrumors 603

LOL, love lines like this. "If I worked at Apple....blah blah blah". Uh, the reality is it's a team of people that come up with these ideas. It's not just one employee of any level that tells the developers what to do.

And think about it for a second. YOU have an iPhone, right? By YOU buying an iPhone the way it is, that tells Apple YOU are satisfied with what they are offering. So if you want change, vote with your wallet. And thankfully you're not an Apple employee, I hate this multitasking idea. Apple's phones are already laggy enough. The OS needs more optimizing, certainly not more bloat.

16. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

I dont know what lag you speak of, oh the on that comes with 1GB of RAM, yeah I don't have that anymore.

17. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Exactly. I feel sorry for those around here who are so blinded by Apple loyalty. They are opposed to change until Apple serves it to them first, then they act like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Multitasking is not bloat and could be a smooth experience with more RAM. It is time for Apple to make use of these tablet sized screens! I did vote with my wallet on this round.

18. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Maybe, Apple prefers you to concentrate on one task at a time. It's best to focus and complete a given task before taking on another. There really is no such thing as multi-tasking if you think about it, because you're delaying one task while focusing on another and not really working on both tasks concurrently.

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Lol.
    I can multi-task several menial efforts at once, but a brain surgeon possibly couldn't whilst on the job.

20. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

LOL! What you're doing is called "Task shifting" several projects, but not multi-tasking.

21. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

While I agree, there can be uses in specific types of multitasking. Frankly all I want is to be able to watch a video while browsing the web. Not too much to ask. Using Safari with iWork on an iPad would be nice too.

22. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Aaaand bye bye credibility.

23. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Would you legitimately be able to concentrate on doing both well at the same time? I do this at home on my desktop and it's invariably one or the other. If I am watching YouTube, I am not reading and vice versa.

I think a better solution might be to reduce the friction of switching between multiple tasks. For your iWork's scenario, I know that the editorial app has an inbuilt browser which you can use for research.

Better than having to contend with 2 squashed apps on a tablet or smartphone, imo.

24. code137 macrumors newbie

I'd like a bit of multitasking specifically on the iPads, but the 6 plus might be nice as well. That said it's not near enough to drive me away from the 6 plus. I debated getting the Note 4 and 6 plus for quite a while. I don't know what they are using for the Samsung demo software in most of the stores, but if its any indication of the performance of the device then I wasn't interested. If its just the demo software, then they are doing themselves a disservice running it because almost every time I'd walk up to one try to get out of the demo it would lock up before lagging it's way back to the home screen. Once there it wasn't so bad, but it always left me with a negative opinion.

25. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

I never really used multitasking on my note 3 I had for like a week but I guess I can see how simple video / other task might be a good thing. Just never really used it myself, felt sort of gimicky considering how tiny the display was on the note 3 for two apps.

Would be nice to have though. Could be implemented in a good way that doesn't scream feature overload. (Apple never has this problem actually hah)