Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
If I worked at Apple I would do this: have developers create optimized apps that have a split-screen version so that multi-tasking is incredibly fine-tuned, and make the quality of this version part of the approval process if a developer chooses to make an app split-screen ready. Boom. (Feel free to contact me to work out a deal to purchase this idea, Tim.)

Genuinely curious, on what scenario would you want to watch a YouTube video playing while you doing something else on the screen? Sure someone could find it useful but personally I have tried on my galaxy S5 and I thought it was a bit of gimmick.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
Genuinely curious, on what scenario would you want to watch a YouTube video playing while you doing something else on the screen? Sure someone could find it useful but y I have tried on my galaxy S5 and I thought ita bit of gimmick.

Doing quick tasks.... Reply to a message or email. Or browse the Web while listening to music. Check Wikipedia or Imdb to reference something. Go to notes to write down an ingredient watching a cooking demo. Loads of uses on YouTube alone. Would be great to have it a floating window.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Multitasking would defeat the basic idea behind the iPhone. Apple deliberately chose to build a phone that's simple to use. Seniors and others who fear computers will only buy the simplest of devices. Apple fills that need quite nicely. Offering multitasking is far too intimidating and complicated.

Also app sales are a crucial aspect of Apples business model and revenue stream. "There's an app for that" is Apple's mantra, one that's made them extremely successful. Few people do real work on an iPhone it's a consumer focused product where game playing is one area they focus on very seriously.

For moms there's a great camera, a crucial feature that Apple has marketed so heavily they've got most everyone addicted to using it as one criteria of great importance when choosing a phone. Highlighting the consumer entertainment aspect of the phone.

One look at Apple's success reveals they've got a good handle on mass market sales just like Walmart and other big box retailers.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Doing quick tasks.... Reply to a message or email. Or browse the Web while listening to music. Check Wikipedia or Imdb to reference something. Go to notes to write down an ingredient watching a cooking demo. Loads of uses on YouTube alone. Would be great to have it a floating window.

I get the part about listening to the music but I find watching the video a bit distracting if I am writing email or reading something. Brain is good at multitasking but eyes not so good at looking too many things at once. But maybe that's just me. About YouTube, not sure why they don't add the background sound for it.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
Multitasking would defeat the basic idea behind the iPhone. Apple deliberately chose to build a phone that's sight has to use. Seniors and others who fear computers will only buy the simplest of devices. Apple fills that need quite nicely. Offering multitasking is far too intimidating and complicated.

Also app sales are a crucial aspect of Apples business model and revenue stream. "There's an app for that" is Apple's mantra, one that's made them extremely successful. Few people do real work on an iPhone it's a consumer focused product where game playing is one area they focus on very seriously.

For moms there's a great camera, a crucial feature that Apple has marketed so heavily they've got most everyone addicted to using it as one criteria of great importance when choosing a phone. Highlighting the consumer entertainment aspect of the phone.

One look at Apple's success reveals they've got a good handle on mass market sales just like Walmart and other big box retailers.

Apple will implement it in an intuitive way for grandma. They are usually pretty good at that. It isn't that complicated. Anyone who has used a computer understands application windows.

----------

I get the part about listening to the music but I find watching the video a bit distracting if I am writing email or reading something. Brain is good at multitasking but eyes not so good at looking too many things at once. But maybe that's just me. About YouTube, not sure why they don't add the background sound for it.

Texting back something quickly isn't that distracting. I do it with my phone all the time while watching TV. My guess is most people do.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Multitasking would defeat the basic idea behind the iPhone. Apple deliberately chose to build a phone that's simple to use. Seniors and others who fear computers will only buy the simplest of devices. Apple fills that need quite nicely. Offering multitasking is far too intimidating and complicated.

I think this is pretty accurate. Apple only adds features once they can make it intuitive and easy to use for the masses. It's a big key to their success.

That being said I fail to see the need or desire for multi-window multitasking on an iPhone. Even with the 6 Plus the screen is too small for it to really be useful. I can't imagine a single scenario where I'd want to be watching a video on my phone while simultaneously surfing the net. Who wants to squeeze two apps onto such a tiny display? Even on the Galaxy phones I rarely find anyone actually use this. I think some people let their inner geek takeover practicality at times. Apple isn't interested in serving the 0.5% of iPhone owners who would use this, only the 99.5% who wouldn't.

Now multiple windows on iPad is a different story. It actually has the screen real estate for it to be useful and practical.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
As of right now, I'm not missing "true" multitasking on my iPhone. It would be nice to have on my iPad, but on a phone, I tend to want to focus on one service at a time. There are far more important issues on the iPhone side of thing than "true" multitasking.
But, if it really is a deal breaker, then just go Android. Then, you can have your multitasking. Just know that you will also give up a lot of the little things you take for granted with iOS.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I just love when people act like they really NEED multitasking on a tablet when they truly know they can do only ONE thing at a time. I watch a movie on my Plasma while messing around on my iPad. It takes very little time to miss much of the movie when I'm infused with what I'm doing on the iPad.

Funny how a difference of opinion ends up with people being insulted saying people have undying blind loyalty for Apple. Well then those people who criticize Apple can be known as Apple haters then. Just because some people don't like multitasking doesn't mean they accept everything Apple does. I happen to dislike some things about OS X and iOS but guess what, I don't feel the need to go on live forums saying how much I hate certain things that Apple does or does not do in order to show that I don't have blind loyalty. :rolleyes:

I just love how MR is SUPPOSE to be a once-upon-a-time Mac enthusiasts board, then became Apple enthusiasts to now plummeted to an Apple-hater fest, and unless some us of join that Apple-hater fest people are called blind loyalists. Herp.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
I just love when people act like they really NEED multitasking on a tablet when they truly know they can do only ONE thing at a time. I watch a movie on my Plasma while messing around on my iPad. It takes very little time to miss much of the movie when I'm infused with what I'm doing on the iPad.

Funny how a difference of opinion ends up with people being insulted saying people have undying blind loyalty for Apple. Well then those people who criticize Apple can be known as Apple haters then. Just because some people don't like multitasking doesn't mean they accept everything Apple does. I happen to dislike some things about OS X and iOS but guess what, I don't feel the need to go on live forums saying how much I hate certain things that Apple does or does not do in order to show that I don't have blind loyalty. :rolleyes:

I just love how MR is SUPPOSE to be a once-upon-a-time Mac enthusiasts board, then became Apple enthusiasts to now plummeted to an Apple-hater fest, and unless some us of join that Apple-hater fest people are called blind loyalists. Herp.

I absolutely don't hate Apple bro. Try again. I am just objective and can see where Apple needs to innovate. But don't worry, this post will come up again when you are lapping up multiasking next year ;)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I never really used multitasking on my note 3 I had for like a week but I guess I can see how simple video / other task might be a good thing. Just never really used it myself, felt sort of gimicky considering how tiny the display was on the note 3 for two apps.

Would be nice to have though. Could be implemented in a good way that doesn't scream feature overload. (Apple never has this problem actually hah)

I used this feature pretty often on my S5. Enough that windowed multitasking was a factor in my choosing the Note 4 over the 6+ a couple of days ago.

Then you have the Note Edge, where you can have two apps running in windows, with a scrolling live feed going as well.

These devices are getting VERY capable, and far beyond rudimentary task switching. Personally, I think Apple is missing the boat on this.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I agree with what you said (watching a movie and surfing the web), but having fantasy football open and surfing the web or watching a movie would be nice :)

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I used this feature pretty often on my S5. Enough that windowed multitasking was a factor in my choosing the Note 4 over the 6+ a couple of days ago.

Then you have the Note Edge, where you can have two apps running in windows, with a scrolling live feed going as well.

These devices are getting VERY capable, and far beyond rudimentary task switching. Personally, I think Apple is missing the boat on this.

Eh, maybe you're right. I might have just been too accustomed to my 4s and I didn't try to take advantage of it. Either way, it would be nice to have as an option.

Still, 1gb of RAM is going to limit that I would think.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I dont know what lag you speak of, oh the on that comes with 1GB of RAM, yeah I don't have that anymore.

what difference does 3GB of RAM make when applications reload on both the 6 Plus and 6 just as often and as much as the Note 4/Nexus 6 with double the cores and 3x the RAM?

----------

dual windows and multiple windows open on a 5 inch screen is just pretty ridiculously dumb, what good is split screen multitasking also if it brings lag?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Genuinely curious, on what scenario would you want to watch a YouTube video playing while you doing something else on the screen? Sure someone could find it useful but personally I have tried on my galaxy S5 and I thought it was a bit of gimmick.

That's simply an example. Referencing a chart while texting someone is something I would do all the time. as it stands I tab back and forth. Depending on how much information needs to be relayed, it can be rather annoying to do.

But I suppose you could watch a video while writing a paper, browsing the web, etc. i thibk the point is that it wouldn't be limited to viewing videos.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
That's simply an example. Referencing a chart while texting someone is something I would do all the time. as it stands I tab back and forth. Depending on how much information needs to be relayed, it can be rather annoying to do.

But I suppose you could watch a video while writing a paper, browsing the web, etc. i thibk the point is that it wouldn't be limited to viewing videos.

Again, on the iPad, this might be a good thing. On a phone, not so much.
If I want to write a paper AND watch a video at the same time, I'd rather be doing it on a laptop and not a mobile device.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Again, on the iPad, this might be a good thing. On a phone, not so much.
If I want to write a paper AND watch a video at the same time, I'd rather be doing it on a laptop and not a mobile device.

It's not about what I'd rather be doing. It's about what I'm able to do with a tool that I have with me at all times. If I'm browsing the web I would rather do it on a laptop too. I can actually have tabs open and swap back on forth on the fly with zero issues. :)

My example of checking a chart while texting or drafting an email is neither crazy nor one I could really do on a laptop (else's I buy a MacBook with continuity on just for this one simole task).

Regardless, it's not even a feature on an iPad.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
what difference does 3GB of RAM make when applications reload on both the 6 Plus and 6 just as often and as much as the Note 4/Nexus 6 with double the cores and 3x the RAM?

They do not reload as often.

dual windows and multiple windows open on a 5 inch screen is just pretty ridiculously dumb, what good is split screen multitasking also if it brings lag?

It's not dumb. It's a very valuable tool and doesn't bring about any lag. It's actually very powerful.

Right now I have a dual windows going on my Note 4; with a technical manual PDF, and S-Note open. I'm cutting out important parts of the PDF using the S-Pen, and dragging and dropping the paragraphs into S-note for easy reference later. And I am handwriting and annotating with additional information next to every section.

Nothing is reloading...nothing is lagging.

Oh, and I have a 3rd Google Hangouts windows going down where I have a chat going about Thor and Thanos...

Last edited:

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
They do not reload as often.

It's not dumb. It's a very valuable tool and doesn't bring about any lag. It's actually very powerful.

Right now I have a dual windows going on my Note 4; with a technical manual PDF, and S-Note open. I'm cutting out important parts of the PDF using the S-Pen, and dragging and dropping the paragraphs into S-note for easy reference later. And I am handwriting and annotating with additional information next to every section.

Nothing is reloading...nothing is lagging.

Oh, and I have a 3rd Google Hangouts windows going down where I have a chat going about Thor and Thanos...

Okay. And you are doing this on the go. Or are you simply sitting at your desk, and geeking out about it?
See, on my laptop, which is right next to my iPhone, I'm currently installing CentOS7 into a VM, while working on some code in another window and then removing into another server in another window. While sharing the webpage I'm working on to my iPhone. That's "true" multitasking. Let me know when the Note 4 can handle that....

JoeyD74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2014
I would hate to go car shopping with some of you:D. This car has this vs this, your forcing me to buy this and it can't do what I want. Why don't you make it like this, it's easy to do.:D

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Okay. And you are doing this on the go. Or are you simply sitting at your desk, and geeking out about it?
See, on my laptop, which is right next to my iPhone, I'm currently installing CentOS7 into a VM, while working on some code in another window and then removing into another server in another window. While sharing the webpage I'm working on to my iPhone. That's "true" multitasking. Let me know when the Note 4 can handle that....

I'm away from desk and laptop in another part of the building and need to get this done and wanted to see if I could, so part geeking out, part work.

Though, it's pretty telling that your answer to the Note 4 was a full blown laptop, something in a complete different product class, and should certainly be more powerful than a smartphone.

That's a testament to the Note 4 and new things it is bringing to the table. It's also pretty disparaging for the iPhone in your perspective since you didn't see it as being viable enough to present it as a counterpoint.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
LOL, love lines like this. "If I worked at Apple....blah blah blah". Uh, the reality is it's a team of people that come up with these ideas. It's not just one employee of any level that tells the developers what to do.

It was and is one employee: Jobs when he was still alive, and now Ive.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
I'm away from desk and laptop in another part of the building and need to get this done and wanted to see if I could, so part geeking out, part work.

Though, it's pretty telling that your answer to the Note 4 was a full blown laptop, something in a complete different product class, and should certainly be more powerful than a smartphone.

That's a testament to the Note 4 and new things it is bringing to the table. It's also pretty disparaging for the iPhone in your perspective since you didn't see it as being viable enough to present it as a counterpoint.

Not at all. Simply stating that "true" multitasking is not "true" multitasking on your Note 4. It should be called Dual Tasking, because that's what it really is.
I can do pretty much the same thing on my iPhone 6 Plus, if I chose to do so. Remote into a server and install a VM. But why? Use the tool that is best for the job. No need to force a hammer to be a screwdriver. I use my iPhone for the things that it does best - tasks that need to be completed quickly and focused on fully. Not sure how work and chatting about Thor/Thanos are even in the same league, other than to just say you did it.

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Even on my 5S, I'm beginning to get vexed that in iOS 8 we still don't have the option to at least watch YouTube and browse Safari. With my 6 Plus box in the other room (waiting until my birthday to open because I'm like that with gifts to myself ;)), the situation is just going to be exacerbated and made more ridiculous.

I almost said "jailbreak it," but realized I'm jailbroken on my 6 and haven't wanted to do this.

I can see this being useful on an iPad, but on an iPhone to watch a YouTube video and read something on Safari, it seems rather gimmicky on a ~5 inch screen (either 6 or 6+).

But an iPad SHOULD have this capability.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I can do pretty much the same thing on my iPhone 6 Plus, if I chose to do so.

Really?

I have my iPhone 5 sitting next to me with the current version of iOS 8.

Tell me how you can have floating windows, dual screen, minimized windows, share data between any app, drag and drop information between apps and windows, and watch video while replying to emails at the same time.

Answer is you can't, and if you simply try task switching, you'll probably end up losing time and data when an app reopens, erases everything, and reloads all the information all over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.