I'm not getting iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freepomme, Sep 14, 2017.

1. freepomme, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

freepomme Suspended

The fact that they got rid of Touch ID is a step backwards.

Face ID is a nice touch, but they made a mistake... with this phone here. And there's a lot in this.

Also,

They said they spent years trying to make a bezel-less display... and on the third bite of the apple, we get this phone here. They made one crucial mistake. Just look at it. Just look:

[​IMG]

Look, look! L-look what's going on in the picture. I'm not going to say what it is. It's staring you right in the face.

They wanted to have a bezel-less display but they failed. They failed big time. What immersion?

2. Complex757 macrumors 6502

Complex757

3. santela macrumors regular

Seems like a lot of people are very skeptical about Face ID, myself included.

I personally gonna wait for more in depth reviews of the tech before making my decision. I'm still gonna buy the X as long as it's not too much of an inconvenience to live with.

4. ricktat macrumors 65816

This is the first I am hearing about this.

Can we make a sticky for this thread?

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I am sure the forum members will sleep better tonight since you made your grand “ I’m not getting the IPhone X” announcement.

6. janeauburn, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Black bar aside, I suspect there will be all sorts of use cases (that people might be forgetting now) in which face ID will be a massive fail. The phone might be able to recognize a face staring at it, but can it read minds? Doubt it. How many times do you use your phone when off-axis? From the side? Turn it on with your hand only so that you can look at it when it reaches your eyes? Hmm...

Definitely a wait-and-see for me. No need to rush to pre-order. In fact, I'll be very patient to see what horrors await early adopters before giving Apple my cash. The iPhone 7 Plus failed in the most basic of ways, and some of these failures were never fixed: crappy speaker phone, for example, yellowish tint to screen, Apple Music in which features simply do not work. We haven't even unearthed the less obvious but inevitable glitches in the X.

7. santela macrumors regular

I was using my 6s off to my side today laying flat on the desk just to quickly check and reply a message. Then I realized how often I actually do this without even noticing.

Oh well, I guess I'd have to enter my passcode for those situations from now on.

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Yay, one less person in the ordering queue! ;)

Actually I'm trying to decide between the iPhone 8+ and the IPhone X, myself. I am not worried about Face ID. I think it will work fine for me and when it doesn't I have no problem using my passcode. I am concerned the notch is going to be a significant distraction in many situations.

I don't mind the very small bezels around the phone display because I've seen and owned the alternative of the so called infinity display and have grown to intensely dislike it. Small bezels ensure that the essential parts of the display remain flat and thus avoid distortions, reflections and refraction at the edges, which can be more distracting than any small bezels ever could be in actual use.

9. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

10. profets macrumors 601

Well, your opinion, but long term it looks like they're trying to go with a more secure form of biometric authentication.

You don't say? The whole phone is a mistake? Do you have any hands on time with it or sales numbers to show this?

Looks like a gorgeous phone to me. And any hands on photos looks excellent. But I would reserve judgement until having a chance to play with one in person.

They wanted to have a bezel-less display and pushed the boundaries are far as they could. Besides the notch (which houses an impressive array of sensors and technology), they essentially designed a bezel-less display.

11. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

Agree with OP, notch is a disgrace to be honest

12. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Oh come on stop teasing us! What is it? WHAT IS IT?????

um, immersion? off a 5.8" screen?

This is why I love visiting the iPhone section once a year...

13. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

14. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

I guess all the smartasses complaining about the notch and how it will ruin their experience of watching movies on their phone forgot to notice that the iPhone X doesn't have a 16:9 AR to begin with.

15. freepomme thread starter Suspended

That notch is more distracting than a regular iPhone. When they turned the phone to landscape and tried to play a movie with the movie extending over the notch on the left side, I was like "well, I'll be damned."

16. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Yeah, that was bizarre. I never would have allowed that part in the demo. Too embarrassing.

17. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

18. freepomme thread starter Suspended

There's a lot in that. That says a lot.

There's so much in that.

19. profets macrumors 601

double tapping will reduce the video so that the notch isn't visible. I imagine with most video being 16:9 it won't need to go beyond the notch anyway.

20. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Stop being so dramatic your posts feel like greek tragedy!

The image was zoomed in.

[​IMG]

(I took this image from another thread)

21. zone23 macrumors 68000

Thanks for the update, I was wondering what you were going to do..

22. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

It's really a non issue.

23. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

Yea but look at how much the video needs to he zoomed out to accommodate the notch

24. profets macrumors 601

I feel bad but reading your comment legit made me laugh out loud. LOL
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    Much less than otherwise would have been on a 16:9 screen like the current iPhones.

And if they had hidden the notch using the OLED screen to have small top and bottom bezels on the phone, it would still look like this.

25. barkomatic macrumors 601

I don't like the notch either--or rather how Apple handled it. It's necessary, but I think it would have looked better if the "ears" on either side were black and only indicated the battery level, carrier strength etc. I saw a video play in the demo that stretched over the whole screen including the ears--it was a messy look. Granted, as others have said you can re-adjust the video to create a border no doubt, but in some cases that may overcompensate and create borders elsewhere on the screen. I'm also not impressed with how those ears look when browsing and in apps.

I guess it will take the typical year before content gets adjusted to deal with the ears in a tasteful way. I *think* Face ID will work as Apple intended, but during the demo there seemed to be an extra step necessary to log in. In other words, it wasn't just holding the phone up and looking at the screen that unlocked the phone--there was some other gesture that seemed to be required. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm also a little unsure of all the gesture based actions now required to compensate for the loss of the home button. It would have been so much better to have the home button under the screen and Face ID as an alternative.