iPhone X Fullscreen Video = Major FAIL

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Sep 13, 2017.

1. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

As bad as that is, games are even worse, I still cringed when the game demo had the controls basically touching the notch. Not to mention, you kinda need to see whats going on in that area for gameplay...

Frankly, for normal use like web browswing, etc, where the status bars would be there, I don't care about the notch, it doesn't both me. But wow, does that asymmetry drive me crazy with any form of multimedia. It really destroys the immersion aspect of having a nearly bezel-less screen.

2. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Well there are other benefits for edge to edge other than watching clips such as a smaller device profile in pocket while maintaining a large significant screen.

If you took the 7 plus and took off the top and bottom bezels. You can get rid of the button but not the sensor and cam...

There is no other consolidated way.

The only benefit of no bezels is you can reach the top of the screen area easier on large screens.

If they were deadset on "removing bezels" as a goal this would be the best way to do it.

Just should prioritize the aspect ratio of the core part of the screen to be 16:9 and the bezel space should be added on top of that base and elongated past that base as needed.

3. x34 macrumors 6502

plus you're back in the experience of an old iphone LOL

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I would love to hear Jon Ivys candid uncensored thoughts on the ears. Just doesn't seem like something he would go for.

I have a feeling more than a few meetings and arguments happened over the ears.

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

SO, if you don't want the notch on your media this is what it will look like. YIKES

[​IMG]

6. Bobby Corwen, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Thats absolutely insane.

Big if true

Why isn't the media touching all the way to the side of the notch? In theory it should only need black bars on top and bottom.

Could be zoomed more than that - all space but the notch. Maybe its a centering/symmetry/resolution issue?

Is that a similar media size to a 7plus or is that smaller. I guess the full screen would be bigger than viewing space than on 7+ while this zoomed out is smaller?

7. Rob_2811, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Rob_2811 macrumors 65816

fullsizeoutput_2f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_30.jpeg

Screen real estate seems barely better than the iPhone 7.

Get a load of web page rendering in landscape, complete with huge white bars framing the content ..

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It doesn't bother me. Even watching the videos with a movie playing, there is so much screen to look at, that the notch just disappears. I'll take the notch over the S8/Note 8 bezels.

9. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

that looks odd

10. schmidti91 macrumors regular

schmidti91

In this hands-on video they're playing a video at 0:50 and the notch isn't in the image and it also doesn't look terrible (like the image MBX shared).

11. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

yes but the video is reduced in size to remove the notch

12. schmidti91 macrumors regular

schmidti91

Yes but it doesn't look nearly as bad as in the photo MBX shared

13. jlseattle macrumors 6502

jlseattle

I understand the need for scanners for your face, that equipment has to live somewhere. I think generally it is a clever design just needs to default to not showing video through the notch. I think it would be more interesting to have battery, wifi, wifi and time dimmed but visible in that area when watching videos.

14. archer75 macrumors 65816

It affects games as well. Some games I play have menus I need to access right where that notch is.

15. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

Call me a troll, roll eyes, flame me, rationalize your purchase, say I'm cheap / can't afford, whatever, lol. There is NO WAY Steve would've allowed something like this to launch (cheesy as it is to say, it's 1000% true here). This is the anniversary iPhone for crying out loud. The asymmetry caused by the top notch is asinine as are the "ears." The video posted above makes it look a tad better but it is still a fail in my opinion. Rationalize it all you want. It's hideous.

I believe there was not any Face ID fail during the keynote based on the videos, just an unfortunate mishap that is now getting blown way out of proportion. The biggest (or 2nd biggest) selling point of the phone shouldn't have been botched in the first place...Steve would've been on top of that too.

No excuse for elimination of 128gb models either, but that's off topic. Up until now I still had an ounce of faith in Tim Cook, but he has totally lost all credibility. Innovation and obsession with perfection truly died with Steve and this a sad way to celebrate what Steve created.

You all can be the $1150 beta testers. I guarantee you next year the OLED iPhone will be symmetrical / no ears and have Touch ID and Face ID as options. And the resale value of the X will plummet very fast.

16. Nozuka macrumors 65816

wrong. there have been technical problems in presentations with steve around too. something can always go wrong with live demos.

17. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

Fair enough, I have not seen every keynote from years past. :oops:

18. Nozuka macrumors 65816

but this one was definitely very bad, because people don't trust this technology to begin with.

19. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

Right. We shouldn't have to speculate on reliability of Face ID or what can / cannot be done about the notch. Especially given the price. The whole thing- presentation and phone itself- should've been much more polished.

20. Absrnd macrumors regular

Absrnd

It doesn't look as bad as the pic posted earlier.

[​IMG]

21. Nozuka macrumors 65816

i'm fine with this tbh. pretty sure this is the original aspectratio and this way nothing gets cut off at any corner either.

22. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Phew

23. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

When you see it in this format, it is basically the same left to right as the 8 Plus screen. The height is shorter by about the thickness of a pencil but I'm not sure you would have been given anymore view. In other words, this view is likely pretty close to what you would see on the plus model.

Full width, the video would be wider and taller but the notch kills it in the zoomed in version. One would need to decide if you what you see here is enough for you. (you means people in general) I quote your post because you have the example.

24. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

I don't mind it, plus you can double tap to bring it in a little and avoid the notch.

25. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre