I'm pissed....cracked screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by m R g S r, Feb 17, 2008.

1. m R g S r macrumors newbie

I am really angry. I just bought a new iphone from apple on february 7th. I searched all over craigslist for a used one, but people wanted more for the used ones then apple wanted new. So I bit the bullet and went ahead and bought it new from apple for $430 or whatever.
    I was watching a movie and the phone slipped out of my hand because there is really no grip on the phone, anyway I was sitting down and leaning over, so it fell from MAYBE a foot off the ground. Hit a floor mat with tile floor under it. I almost cried, picked up the phone and noticed two tiny cracks on the bottom black part of the phone. Whatever, no big deal, sucks but I can live with it.

Anyway, I put the phone in my pocket and take it out 10 mins later and there is a crack down the entire screen, across the whole front of the phone! WTF?!?!?!

So I go to apple today and see if they can replace the screen, I don't mind that its not covered under warranty, it was my fault, but holy ****....$250 plus tax to replace a clear piece of plastic?? That's what really pissed me off. May be the last apple product I buy if all replacement parts are that expensive, I have a mac book pro and an ipod vid, and have loved the products. Well my ipod video also has a ton of spider cracks through the whole screen, but I dont care that doesnt bother me as much as the phone i JUST bought!!!

Okay so I'm done ranting, any cheaper solutions to fix this thing? I'd hate to have to live with it like this. . . . . I googled iphone repair and iresQ came up.....are they legit?? will they replace the screen??

2. DaLurker macrumors 6502

The two tiny cracks caused a stress fracture in the glass which cracked when you put it in your pocket.

Its $230 to replace the whole screen. They can't just replace the glass.

3. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Its not a plastic screen, its glass. It also is the touch interface therefore making it expensive.
    Sorry for the damage, but you can't be pissed at the cost....

4. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

you actually get a whole new phone..they don't replace the glass

5. darkblu macrumors regular

didn't apple have something like a 'single incident' replacement policy or was that something best-buy-only? i remember i was reading something along this line when i got my ipod touch from BB not long ago.

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

No, Apple does not have a "I did something stupid take my phone back" policy. That why there are an incredible amount of threads here about how to trick Apple into taking back phones that people damaged.

7. gymns411 macrumors newbie

Hilarious...lol

8. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Hilarious but true!

Especially when you go and want to spend more money to get a used iPhone instead of buying from a Apple or AT&T store.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Did you purchase it with a credit card with accidental damage coverage? If so, use it. If not, obtain one and make it a habit of using it every time you buy electronics and the like.

10. Keebler macrumors 68030

i can see parts being expensive b/c it's the glass, plus the tech's time to repair it.

that said, given this incident and your spidery ipod vid....best to invest in some hardshell cases. i know it won't guarantee anything, but maybe it would help in the future..

11. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Does AT&T even offer accidental damage coverage on the iPhone?

I have heard that they don't.

I pay $7 a month for ADC on my Mogul through Sprint, greatest thing since sliced bacon.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Was that in response to my post or are you asking a separate question? I was referring to a credit card that carries accidental damage coverage, like in the following thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=348907

13. McGiord, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

14. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

15. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I cracked my iPod screen, not totally sure how (had it in my pocket at work, when I took it out 8 hours later, the screen was cracked.) I took it to Apple, to see how much they'd charge to fix it, they gave me a new one. I was out of warranty at that point also.

16. m R g S r thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'll give it another shot, i mean the thing is super fragile. I didn't even drop it from high up or like slam it down. whatever. anyway.....i found a few replacement screens, one from the link posted, and one from another place that will preform the service for $150 installed.
    Any feedback on this place? I'm looking not to get scammed out of an iphone if I send it to get repaired. PDAsmart.com........any good transactions with them??

17. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Considering the number of people who have said that the Apple stores have told them to go pound salt when shown a damaged iPhone you got off VERY lucky with your iPod. You must have caught someone on a good day because you are most definitely the exception not the rule. I'd wonder how that person explained the damage when they sent it back in especially for an out-of-warranty device.

18. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Owch....

Sorry to hear that. I've dropped my phone from about 4 feet onto concrete (well, this chick made it fall from my hand), fortunately, all i got was a tiny dent on the upper left hand corner.

19. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

20. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

I don't know about fragile.. I think you just got unlucky. My touch has survived living with 3 Great Danes. It got knocked off my desk the other day (knocked off by a tail) and stepped on (by a 130lb dog) and survived... That is just one example. Getting knocked around, stepped on, sat on, drooled on and otherwise abused is a common thing around here....Yet, I am typing on my touch right now.

Of course, none of that info helps you at all....LOL

Sorry for your luck,
    ang

21. m R g S r thread starter macrumors newbie

22. mikelliott macrumors member

My sister cracked the screen on her two month old iPhone and Apple replaced it for a $125 fee.

23. m R g S r thread starter macrumors newbie

you sure? F it I'm going back tomorrow to talk to a tech, not some stupid girl who works at the cash register . . . .

24. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

LOL... Don't be! I've cringed so many times that I am truly afraid that my face may "get stuck that way".

I wonder if the the touch and the iPhone are that different.... Is it possible the size and internal differences make the iPhone more breakable?

25. nate94gt macrumors member

a foot?!

Cripes man, mine got ran over by a firetruck leaving the station and only got a few scratches on the metal case.

*and thats AFTER it flew out of my pocket from about 3' or so