I'm Pissed Off With the iPhone 3G's Shoddy Build Quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 15, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Is it possible to get an iPhone 3G without defects? On the first iPhone 3G I got, before I exchanged it in-store, there were two scratches on the top left of the aluminum and minor scratches all around. There was probably more, but I didn't really look too much. I exchanged that because of the scratches and the screen was yellower and looked noticeable worse than the demo models. On the iPhone that I'm on now, there's two areas between the screen and the metal where the backlight from the screen comes through. There's even a minor, but decent sized, scratch on the metal on the top left. The Apple logo looks a little chipped off in the case, under the top plastic layer. There's also an almost unnoticeable "bubble" under the top plastic layer. I thought I would bare with it and try not to get stuck in an exchange cycle, but I'm starting to get pissed off by these inconsistencies.

Keep in mind, I didn't cause any of these problems, there were all there from the moment that I opened up the box. Does anybody else have build quality defects on their new iPhone 3Gs? I didn't think that I'd take it back at first, but I can't stand the shoddy build quality on mine, and I'd expect that it'll be hard to find one that's almost perfect...

Update 9/17:

Here's another thing that isn't too big of a deal, but is still notable...:

A little glow from the screen's backlight is noticeable from the top speaker.

2. acelson macrumors newbie

I'm upset with the bulid quality too!

Hi,

I had the previouse iPhone and ot be honest the quality was far superior to the 3G!!!
    I have light beaming out of the sides where the glass meets the metal and it came with two chips, one on each corner the handset!!!
    Also it freezes when I input a text and when I try and turn it to go landscape yo view pics and itunes it doesn't do it!
    What have apple done or are we just unfortunate to receive dodgey handsets!
    I mean all that queing and loyalty to apple and this is what we get!
    Also I'm getting bloody dust under the screen, the original iPhone blows the 3G's build quality out of the water!
    They should of kept the price the same because they have gone all cheap on us!!!
    The plastic back was meant to give us better signal but I'm finding my signal alot worse!!!
    o2 better send me and all other upset iPhone 3G owner replacements when they are back in stock!!!

3. Macjames macrumors 6502a

It is possible to get an iPhone 3G without defects, as i have. I have a very, very, very, sligt yellow tint to my screen (However it makes the colors much more vivid than on my 1st gen iphone in a side by side comparison). I have no issues build quality wise and the plastic back has improved the reception dramatically in my area.

To top it all off i have never had any issues with the 2.0 firmware or downloaded apps.

I consider myself very lucky.

4. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

5. cenetti macrumors 6502

yeah, me too..

-Dead pixels
    -dust under screen
    -poor built case
    -piss yellow tint
    -terrible 3G coverage...

If I chase and get one now, chances that I'll be having one or more of these problems...

I'll be waiting couple of months...:D

6. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Aggggh! I hate when this happens on devices! It happened on my PSP(I know the faceplate can be changed, but dust still gets in there), it also happened on a lot of previous phones I've had.
    I own an original iPhone 16GB, and I love the build quality.
    The original model seems to be sealed inside, so that no dust gets onto the screen - I love that.
    I really want a 3G, but I might think twice if the build quality is this bad! :(

7. iPaul macrumors regular

I got one on Friday and it is perfect. Either you are very hard to please or you have just had some bad luck

8. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

Mine had a yellow screen...loose glue or adhesive all around the screen's bezel....I visited Apple yesterday and returned it. I am not going to settle just because it is an iPhone.

9. phannon666 macrumors regular

Absolutely no issues here, bought on friday (16GB) 100% perfect. The build feels much better in this one than the 1st Gen iPhone by far, especially the back, much more solid than 1Gen even though it's plastic. Loving it!

10. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I hope it's a isolated issue, (no offence to acelson).
    I'm happy that it's cheaper now, but it would be a shame if that's at the expense of build quality.
    Anyways, I'll find out for myself, when I decide to buy a 3G in a month or two(after O2 sort themselves out and all this backlog has been cleared).
    I was gonna sell my original iPhone, but now I'll probably keep it, unlock and jailbreak it. :D

11. meagain macrumors 68030

I agree Phannon - there were MANY issues with the 1st gen. MUCH more than are being reported for the 3g. Remember all that a year ago? The screen dots, etc. etc.

My 3g is nicer than my 2g IMO, though I do have a bit of a light leak between bezel/glass by the volume button. Course, I see this on my 2g also, just smaller and more areas.

12. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

+1.

16GB, no screen issues, and I love the feel of it.

Granted I don't own a iPhone G1 to compare minor details.

R-Fly

13. slicecom macrumors 68020

14. macdim macrumors 6502

-Dead pixels ----------->NO

-dust under screen----->NO

-poor built case-------->NO

-piss yellow tint-------->Not piss yellow. More yellow than 1st gen, but not piss yellow. I like it better.

-terrible 3G coverage--->Rogers has decent 3G coverage in Ottawa, so that's a network issue, not a phone quality issue.

15. cantankerously macrumors regular

16gbw here.

Flawless. No scratches, negative black, dead pixels, etc...

Excellent so far.

16. Nintenchris macrumors newbie

i must admit.. mine is perfect
    so so so lucky

17. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

My iPhone 3G experience so far is brilliant.
    No hassles with getting the phone or activating. The phone itself has no defects. The operation of the phone is great, no lag, no quirks, no crashes.

Some people are taking the yellow screen 'issue' way out of context, I know some people had screens that were overly yellow, but the majority of us just have a slightly warmer colour than the original iPhone.........please understand, this isn't a problem with the screen, this is how Apple wanted the screen to appear, and I must say, the original iPhone was way too blue. If the first iPhone had been the same tone as the 3G when it released, then the 3G released with the first iPhones tone, the complaint would be that iPhone 3G is too blue.

I will point out that I do have one problem and that is my dock doesn't work with my iPhone, which cost me a whole load of money (£500/$1000). I guess I could sell it to my dad since he is looking to buy a dock for his iPod Touch.

Anyway, just wanted to post this to bring some sense of balance to the thread, I'm sure most of you are aware that the majority of people only post when they have a problem and not when everything is fine.

18. 0B1 macrumors member

16 GB Black - Flawless finish.
    A few issues with activation fixed with one call to Applecare.
    There is a slight yellow tint. It's different to my 1st Gen, but not actually quite like it. Seems brighter and more vibrant.
    Still got some issues with logging into MobileMe/.Mac via my MBP, apart from that happy as larry.

19. findnemo macrumors regular

Bought two on launch day and they are both perfect. Absolutely no flaws at all. Also complaining about crappy 3g service as one of the flaws about the phone is just retarded, that's AT&Ts fault.

20. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I guess I'll try to take it back during the week when they get it in stock. Would they exchange it for build quality issues? Since a lot of you have flawless iPhone 3Gs, I would guess I'll be better off taking a chance to return it and hopefully not get a worse one? One thing I don't like is that Apple uses different LCD panels for the screen and I could end up getting one that's worse or better. From comparing it to the first one I got and store demos, I think that I have the best of the screens.

21. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Uh huh. Uh huh uh huh uh huh.

22. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Must be luck that all that happened to you.

I bought 2 iPhone 3G's and both are perfect.

I bought the last 2 iPhones, and both were perfect.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

No issue here. I had the screen issue, but the updated firmware fixed it. No physical damage, etc. You can't blame shoddy 3G signal on the iPhone. As it isn't Apple's fault AT&T didn't put more 3G towers up in your area. Unless your 3G chip is broken.

24. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

The silver trim and black back doesn't match up too well in one area of the left side, causing a bit of a rough area on mine. Not a show stopper, but "fit & finish" - not so good!

25. mac jones macrumors 68040

hmm, and I actually thought of standing in a line for this.

But it figures. It's called "Bait and Switch"

They get you hooked with an exeptional product and when your not looking they sell you a cheap clone of the original.

Just hope it's not toxic also. :rolleyes: