I'm returning my iPhone 7 tomorrow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Matt T, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Matt T macrumors regular

Matt T

I bought myself an iPhone 7 as a birthday present last week and it's battery life has been absolute rubbish. I know others have been reporting similar problems and I've read the iPhone 7 battery life thread, but mine seems to be worse than most - I am needing to charge it twice a day or keep it in low power mode to keep it going, and a few nights ago it went from 50-0% overnight while I was asleep (and made me miss my alarm).

So I took it to the Apple Store today and asked them to check it. The Genius I had ran the usual diagnostics and showed me the battery itself is fine. He then checked some other things and noticed I have recharged is 21 times in the past 9 days, which backs up what I said about needing to charge it twice a day. He even acknowledged that was strange. But he refused to replace it. Apparently although he can see it looks like I am needing to charge my battery fairly often, he sees nothing wrong with the battery or hardware itself and therefore there is no reason to replace it. He also mentioned he thinks it is a software problem and should be fixed with a software update.

I explained that I was aware of other users reporting the same thing and the general consensus seems to be a software issue, but that my situation seemed to be worse than what I've read anybody else experiencing, and I shouldn't be expected to keep my iPhone plugged in to stop it from reaching 0% until Apple release a software fix (if indeed that is the problem, and who knows when the update will be released). He told me there was nothing he could do and suggested I try resetting the phone and setting it up as new instead of restoring from a backup - an option I'm not interested in because I don't want to lose any of my data.

So I guess that's it - I'll be returning it tomorrow and going back to my 6. Overall it has been a sh***y experience made worse by a sh***y support response. I'm very disappointed.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You should check it with Cocounut Battery on a Mac. It'll tell you how the initial mAh rating and its current mAh rating. Take it from there.

3. Thor_1, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

That does suck. did you do a fresh install without your backup? Only ask because your backup may be bad.

My 7 goes 2 plus days between charges.

4. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Slowly but surely Apple is walking back it's world class support policies, the unofficial ones at least. Where they'd once give a customer the benefit of the doubt, they're now beginning to hold a hard line.

As iPhone gets older and Apple fails to find the next blockbuster product to keep the vast profits coming in, they've got to gradually tighten their belt. No company can sustain massive growth forever. Apples future looks rather sobering.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You really need to do a restore as new before returning it and try it that way. Most people are getting one or two days from an iPhone 7. My plus easily gets two days. Be sure you have a decent cell signal. A weak signal will drain the battery quickly. I wouldn't wait for any software "fix".

6. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Yours might but it's meaningless.

There's literally thousands of different usage patterns for smartphones. Comparing battery life is pointless and a complete waste of time.

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

If you are within the return period, you don't need his permission. Just return it and buy/order another one to see if the problem remains.

8. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

True. I read in these threads, people, IMO, abusing Apple's return policy. Exchanging for really nothing, 5 or more phones, or getting one to use until their "color" comes in because they couldn't wait. Yes, I know there are real issues and I do feel sorry for those people, but some of the videos and pictures that are used to support their issues are not there.

9. bsmith4832 macrumors regular

I second this. Do a clean install (which I'm surprised support didn't make you try that to begin with). I've seen bad backups tank battery life numerous times. It's also the primary reason I setup every new iPhone I get as a new phone. Sure it might be a little annoying, but it's best to start there.

10. freddisier macrumors newbie

I also returned my iphone 7 to get the 6S Plus.
    The stock situation for 7 Plus is ridiculous.
    While the camera is better in low lights, i don't think it would make a big difference for me as I rarely take photos in low light.
    The only thing I miss is the home button :(. The new home button is so slick and works so smoothly.

11. KillaMac Suspended

Screen shot your battery usage for us. I have a feeling you are expecting to much from the phone when your usage is high.

12. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Right so a one-off post about bad battery life weighs more than a one-off post about great battery life. Got it.:rolleyes:

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Actually thousands of different usage patterns showing one to two days battery life is an excellent way to show what expectations should be. If a handful of users are only getting half a day or less it very clearly shows that the problem is not the iPhone design but a usage or software issue.

14. mi7chy, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

A10 SoC in the iPhone 7 series is the first generation to get ARM big.LITTLE architecture. It takes time to correctly tune the OS to balance the load between the hotter higher performance cores and cooler higher efficiency cores. iOS usually doesn't hit maturity until x.3.x release so either wait it out about half a year or go with the less finicky iPhone 6S series.

15. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Battery life is highly dependent on usage.

And why would you leave your phone unplugged at night? Do you not have access to an electrical outlet where you sleep?

16. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. It could be a bad battery or a bad backup. Might be better to find out now before next phone has the same problem.

17. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

I learned my lesson about 5 iPhones ago. When ever I get a new one I always set up as new. Never restore from a backup !!! I've seen it to many times people will restore a new iPhone from a backup of last years device. Then they complain there battery sucks but they won't try setting up as new. O well some people have to learn the hard way.

18. predation macrumors 65816

Yeah. I think setting up as new is the dumbest suggestion ever. $1000 phone, $200 billion dollar company. "Try setting up as new."

For the amount of money and worth of the company, figure it out Apple.

I never setup as new because I have s lot of data I don't want to lose.

19. Radon87000 macrumors 604

My 7 Plus lasts 1.5 days between charges.My iPhone 6 needed charging twice a day.If you value battery life go for the Plus variant.It wipes the floor with the smaller size in battery life

20. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Interesting. My 7 has a better battery than my 6+. In fact I'm downright impressed with the battery.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

True. Even more so than 6s Plus. With the extra room for the battery made possible by deleting the 3.5 Jack, the battery life on the 7 Plus has been improved by over two hours I believe.

22. Kahsheh macrumors regular

With one of my iPhones (previous generations back), I had an issue with the battery. Took it to the genius bar and met a very arrogant genius. Basically never helped me and treated me like an idiot who does not know how to use a smartphone phone. He turned off everything that I use - such as bluetooth, dimmed the screen, told me to limit usage (wtf) etc. I pair my phone with my car so the bluetooth is important to me.

Anyway, long story short, I called apple and complained how I was treated at the store. The store called me afterwards and said they will replace my phone. Sure enough, the new one was an improvement.

23. Cycling Asia macrumors regular

Did the store also replace the genius?

24. Matt T, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016

Matt T thread starter macrumors regular

Matt T

No I restored an iTunes backup of my phone. Out of curiosity I erased my iPhone 6 and restored the same backup and after using it for a few hours it's battery life is still far better than what I've experienced with the 7.

I'm not using it any differently to how I used my 6. The first few days I can chalk up to indexing etc, but when it drops 20% after 40min of standby a week later surely that must mean something is wrong.

Because it was on 50% and there was no need to charge it? Edit: you're missing the point anyway, the point was that it used 50% battery while in standby for a few hours.

25. deivydas macrumors member

deivydas

In many situations it's not about Apple, but about apps and their cache. I'm not even talking about situations, when apps developers not adopting their applications to latest OS version and latest devices.
    If you don't care about it - way to go, but then don't cry about bad battery life, lag or other bugs.