I'm scared to drop my iPod touch. Aren't these things fragile?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheSpaz, Nov 8, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've had dreams of dropping my iPod touch and smashing the screen. Since it's made out of glass, don't you think it's a big too fragile for a hand held device? I mean, one drop and it's gonna be pretty much damaged for good and the parts are almost as expensive as the device. Do people get insurance on these? If you drop it, it's not covered by warranty. The other iPods are nearly indestructible... I've dropped my 5G before and it still works as good as new.

I am so scared that I will drop it and be very angry at Apple for making such a fragile product.

2. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

i dropped my iphone from 6 feet high on to a hard tile floor (lifeguard stand to pool deck). it hit the corner (ugly dent) and bounced, but nothing was broken. still 100% operational. I've seen one with a broken screen though-- i think that only happens if it lands on something raised that hits the glass directly.

either get a protective case, or develop some good habits that will make it harder to drop, like only putting it in deep pockets and not pulling it out while wearing gloves.

3. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Maybe this torture test on the iPhone (similar screen) will make you feel better.

YouTube Link

4. Qianlong macrumors regular

if you drop your touch Steve will come by with his private jet and give you a new one

of course after sueing Apple for 1 million dollars in damages...

just get a case and stop worrying

5. dcv macrumors G3

I dropped mine a couple of weeks ago while sitting at a bar :eek: thankfully it fell straight onto its back and survived completely unscathed! I wasn't even that fazed by it at the time... (oh the perils of alcohol :eek: ) I just thought "oops" and carried on. It wasn't until the next day when I sobered up and remembered what had happened that I panicked and started checking it thoroughly. Not a single mark on it though, *phew* :cool:

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

for the price of it and what it can do, you should be scared.

it's electronic and not encased in a pile of shock absorbing rubber so i would be just as scared as you :)

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The iPhone is not the iPod touch. The iPhone seems to be a lot heavier duty than the touch. The metal around the edges look thick and durable while there's just a slight ring around the glass on the touch. It just seems like the touch could break easier than the iPhone. I have a clear plastic (iClear) case on my iPod touch but, will that save it? I'm too scared to find out.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

9. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

Well I dropped my Touch on the bathroom's floor.. still no scratch on it...
    I have to admin I got some very small scratches on the back, but thats normally, bcause I always put the device in my backpocket :eek:.

10. jrbsman macrumors member

cement is "ok"

Three days after I got mine I was waiting for a bus and dropped it on the sidewalk (about five feet up) and it landed on the side. Just a little scratch on the antennae and the metal but no dent and everything is fine. I am amazed at how strong it is. Compared to a normal iPod video screen this one is fantastic.

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Must be unlucky, or my new hair gel is staying on my fingers or something. I'm ordering my third.

12. urrl78 macrumors member

I just got a zCover from my local Apple store. It looks great, is made with a firm rubbery substance. I have no worries dropping this; it will probaply bounce like a rubber ball.

13. hubble1990 macrumors member

Can I just confirm is the touch screen glass or plastic?? I still have the protective cover on mine so can't tell

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I was just about to say that I've seen one dropped from a bar stool to the ground without apparent damage ;)

It's glass.

15. hubble1990 macrumors member

Thanks

16. frogcat macrumors member

Yeah this should be an "I dropped my iPod touch" thread seeing whose had the worst fall.

I dropped mine like 5 feet. I was checking email on safari with one hand, and i yanked the headphones with my other arm. Boy these things are slippery...
    I can tell you that when it jumped out of my hands, I saw my life flash before my eyes. Thats 300 dollars well spent after 4 days. haha

It fell on jagged concrete on its side, and tumbled around. I have 2 small but horrible scathes, yet my iPod still looks really good. No problems or screen scratches. The only thing is that the black trim on one side chipped and turned silver...and that looks tacky.

Guys get a case. do it before its too late

17. California King macrumors 65816

I know 2 people who dropped their iPhones and they both got the corner of the screen cracked. Interestingly enough, the broken part was still able to use.

18. Tdoe10 macrumors newbie

boke my ipod touch

yeah i cracked the screen on my ipod touch biggest mistake ive made was buying this thing.

Still works but im just waiting for the rest to shatter

Attached Files:

19. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I got an ifrogz case and ive dropped mine and it has yet to get a single scratch

I take it out every once and a while to marvel at it :)

20. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

I had a palm pilot back in the 90's. had it in my lap, went to sit up, it fell about a foot or so, screen broke and didn't work at all. Are ipod touches better than that?

21. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I've dropped my iPhone countless times from varying heights without any damage

22. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Apple haven't made a fragile product. Just keep hold of the bloody thing instead of acting like a wuss and worrying about dropping it.

23. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Biggest mistake you made was dropping it - not buying it.

24. Tdoe10 macrumors newbie

Oh i didnt drop it

I didnt drop it, I "droped it" onto my table and that was maybe a distance of
    1ft. they are $300 pieces of crap!!

25. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

You still dropped it whether it was from 1ft or 10ft.

Why on earth would you want to throw around a piece of technology which you just paid $300 for?

You treat something like crap then blame the manufacturer. Unbelievable.