I'm Sorry, But More Front Facing Camera Evidence

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Project-79, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

I'm sorry, I know this has been discussed thousands of times, but I found a new picture at this link: http://gear.ign.com/articles/882/882164p1.html

All of the cases before this have had holes on the left side of the iPhone 3G for the extra sensors. But, the case has a big hole that spans from the far left all the way to the far right. Why does it have space on the right?

My theory for the extra space is that there is an extra camera on the front.

What do you think (don't flame me, please)

P-79

Attached Files:

2. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Most likely aesthetic reasons. The designer thought it would look weird to have just a space on the left, so they included one on the right to make it symmetric.

And if there was a camera on the right, than the other designers would've covered it up with their case designs.

Sorry folks, but no front facing camera.

3. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

You can't say that there will be no front facing camera for sure. No one know what Steve will do in the next few weeks.

But, until the fat lady sings (Apple's "one/two more thing/s"), nothing is for sure!

P-79

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

oh of course! apple would want to keep such a feature a secret. They want people who were begging for a front facing camera to not buy the phone, but they want to give it as a bonus to all those who do buy the phone. Right on the ball, good job finding this proof in a third party case!

in a more serious tone Apple has put another proximity sensor on the phone and that elongated hole is for said sensor. This has been discussed many times.

So... to the OP: please request for your thread to be closed and wasteland'd.

5. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

I don't know when it was discussed that there was a sensor on the right. Is it possible that next time, before you post, you get your fact straight, thanks.

Oh, and thanks for not flaming me (sarcasm).

Why do people not want a front facing camera in the iPhone. Sure, it may not be one of the more used features, but there aren't any down sides. The price won't go up.

Please, lets just have a friendly conversation, thank you

P-79

6. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

thats not good marketing. they wouldnt do that. iphone day was a week ago. and the next iphone day aint' happening for a while.

7. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

there is no need to be this harsh. its a simple question. we dont need people with your attitude on this forum
    take it somewhere else.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It's good to see that the front-facing camera evidence lives on. I'm still guessing we'll see it during MWSF '09. :p

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Front facing cameras are stupid - we've had them on our 3G phones down here for about 7 or 8 years and they just serve no purpose. Nobody video chats - Telstra are currently running an ad campaign encouraging us to video-chat, they must make more money out of it.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I can see the benefits when someone in the loo accidentally activates video chat. What a crappy mistake that would be.

11. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

the first iPhone molds to show up before WWDC had the same thing. its not a front facing camera people just give up. what would Apple gain by NOT announcing it already? more people who want it because its a feature that sells, something they could use to advertise.

i cant wait for another thread about this tomorrow.

12. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

If there was a camera on the front - do you think AT&T would let us video chat for free? They'd probably throw on a $20 monthly fee just to use that. People are already groaning about $30 for data and $20 for unlimited texts.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

No, no. Front-facing camera is not happening this time around. WWDC WAS the engagement where all features are revealed.

14. newyorksole macrumors 68030

You guys know that there is a hole spanning from side to side at the top of the case because a 2nd proximity sensor was put in that area right?

Why Apple needs 2 proximity sensors is beyond me though. But yeah, that's the reason why case manufacturers cut out that much space.

15. stevin macrumors regular

I think my post had some more legit evidence.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=501151

we also decided that its time to put the vid camera rumor to bed.

16. americaskate macrumors member

As much as most of us would love a front facing camera,
    there is just no chance of them secretly putting it on
    the Phone 3G

17. jmadlena Guest

Maybe that is the extra $10 a month?

I don't think there will be a front-facing camera, but it isn't impossible. Apple does a lot of things to drum up hype.

18. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I don't get this statement. Are you really saying that digital cameras are perfectly free to manufacture?

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

when you say manufacture do you mean 'grow'?
    So yes, it is free.

20. DubbleDuecer macrumors member

I was thinking,, announce new iphone a month early, weeks pass and so does the hype, what a better way to stir up some more hype by announcing new features a week or two before release, and also, why tell all ure competitors what ure new phone will be like so they have a month to come up with their adds and reasons to buy theres. i duno...

21. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

if you're right I'll eat my hat.

23. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

My feelings on this:

I seriously doubt the case manufacturers would know something this significant that hasn't been released to the general public. If Apple told them, they might as well put the info up on billboards everywhere.

Second, I think many carriers, certainly AT&T in the US, do not have NEARLY enough bandwidth to support both the increase in web browsing traffic that all the new iPhone customers will be, but also data-intensive activities such as video conferencing. So that issue alone would preclude such a feature.

24. LiveForever macrumors 6502

I agree that a front facing camera is a waste of time. On paper its a good selling point but take it from me as someone who has had a 3G phone with either a front mounted or a swiveable camera since 2003-you will never ever use it.

They are not practical and the beauty about making a phone calls that you don't need to keep up appearances, there is no non verbal communicattion-its straight and to the point .

Telstra have a stupid campaign where this guy is making a video call whilst walking down the pavement in a busy city. This will never happen. Video calling is lame. OK if you haven't seen your loved one for a bit or your kids but even then the novelty wears off-how many people use their web cams on Skype-we don't.

People move on-I hope apple don't waste precious space on a front facing camera.

25. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I agree with many people who share my view of video chatting is just not used, probably Apple have understood this and decided on to not bother with the iPhone.

I am reasonably sure that if they had included it people would STILL complain it makes it ugly and is a useless "feature" :rolleyes::apple:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.