I'm Torn... (iPhone 4 with VZ vs. iPhone 5)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PorscheDude, Jun 13, 2011.

1. PorscheDude, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

PorscheDude macrumors newbie

I am considering buying an iPhone 4 with VZ. However, there is a lot of talk about the iPhone 5 coming out. Usually I would wait for the iPhone 5, but isn't the unlimited data with VZ supposed to end soon? How out-dated is the iPhone 4? I have an env3 right now that randomly shuts off in my pocket ( I'm on my second env - they certainly are not reliable), so anything seems like an upgrade. Basically what I'm asking is, do you think the unlimited data is worth the possibility of not upgrading to an iPhone 5?

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Get the iPhone 4, get UL data, sell the iPhone 4 when the 5 comes out. Keep your data plan when they dissolve it. You'll take a hit of a couple hundred $ when you sell and switch to the 5 but think of how much money you'll save in overage charges. ;)

3. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

If you really want the iphone5 but also want to make sure you get the unlimited data while it's still available, perhaps you should look into craigslist or ebay and purchase a phone that way. Doing this will get you an iphone 4 in the meantime and then when the iphone 5 comes out you can buy that on contract with the discount and sell your iphone 4. You will basically be able to get an iphone 5 without really coming out of the pocket at all at that point. That way you get your iphone now, your unlimited data now, and the iphone 5 later. :D

4. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Or just buy an unlocked pixi plus from Newegg, get unlimited data, and upgrade to the iP5 when it launches

5. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

You could buy an iPhone 4 now and sell it when the iPhone 4S/5 comes out. Prolly lose about $100-200 depending on how much you can sell it for. For a few months of use, and the UL data plan. May be worth it if you think so!

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This... buy a crap phone that needs a data plan...

7. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

heard from a little birdie that they will be closing the unlimited data deal very soon. So it's not worth it. Just wait.

8. PorscheDude thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I borrow my friends blackberry (he switched to an iPhone) and I add the unlimited data plan via online, will this grandfather me in? This way in September, I can switch to an iPhone 5 and still have unlimited data?

9. geiman macrumors newbie

I'd just make sure that whatever unlimited data plan you get is transferable to an iPhone. AT&T has iPhone specific plans (or at least the unlimited was) so I would be careful about making sure whatever you get you will be able to use.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

check craigslist in your area see if somebody is selling a verizion Iphone you will pay more now. but you can resell it for almost what you paid and keep your eligibility. then add the unlimited data and grandfather it.

11. psywzrd macrumors 68030

12. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I agree here. Just buy a used crappy phone that needs data, get the unlimited, save your upgrade and get the iphone5 when its out. Should work just fine and you'll get to keep your unlimited data

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Well I don't think we're talking about unlocked in the traditional sense since there are no sim cards involved, but I assume they mean that it can be used on more than one carrier. I'm thinking about getting a Pixi Plus and signing up with Verizon just to get grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan; however, I'm with AT&T right now and don't plan on leaving any time soon (want to get grandfathered in on Verizon's unlimited plan just in case I decide to switch to Verizon when my AT&T contract is up). How would I go about getting the Pixi Plus, signing up with Verizon to get the unlimited plan, and then freezing my service indefinitely? Can I sign up for a month to month plan and just freeze it or no? I don't want to pay for two plans (one with AT&T and one with Verizon) but I'd like to have the option to switch over to Verizon if AT&T continues to drag their feet with 4G.

15. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

16. azmacguy macrumors newbie

Just finished speaking with a CS rep. He told me that this is just a rumor and that VRZ has no plans in the near future to discontinue their unlimited data plan. He also stated that if for some reason they did, there would be information regarding it on the VRZ website.

Also, he stated that if you are currently running under the unlimited data plan and there was a change in the plan, your data plan would be grand-fathered in.

Cheers!

17. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I believe a Verizon exec confirmed that they would be doing away with unlimited, but I can't find the link

18. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Verizon CEO none the less.

19. azmacguy macrumors newbie

wow...some people.

20. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

Definitely do the iP4 and lock in the unlimited data. I really can't imagine Verizon giving all that much warning before they stop the unlimited data.

21. DaBlackMamba macrumors member

Go with the Iphone 4. The 5 won't be that much better. Bigger Screen? Faster CPU? It's the 6 we should want.

22. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

Oh, and get best buy to match wal mart's $147 price. Worked for me when I got my wife's and sister-in-law's.

23. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I guess it would probably make more sense to do this with a 4G device rather than a 3G device (to try to lock in unlimited 4G data) but I doubt you could get a 4G device as cheap as a Pixi Plus. The other problem (at least for me) is that I understand that Verizon will only let you suspend your service twice a year for up to a total of 6 months. That doesn't really work for me since I'm locked in to AT&T for another year and would only be doing this to give myself the option to switch to Verizon whenever I feel like it. Doesn't sound like there's any good way to do this without paying for service from both companies and that's just not worth it to me.