Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Wow you're right, I just picked it up to feel the metal underbelly - it's more than warm to the touch...will leave that fan right where it is...

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
I did not know that FoxPEP had such a feature built in, but I never went off and found another, so I guess with the hosts files and FoxPEP I'm all covered on my iBook running 10.4, it really does make TFF a lot better. Not sure I follow you on your comment about the ISP injections? Not heard anything like that myself?

I use my PowerBook G4 to get a little bit of work done with both Pages and also Adobe CS4, which is the last version available for PowerPC Macs, and allows me to make an IDML file of my work I can open at work on Windows running CC2019 and my own Mac Pro running CC2020. You can find CS4 on the Macintosh Garden I think - I do NOT know whether or not you HAVE to be running Leopard to install it though, but I find CS4 to be fairly useful. You can also find Microsoft Office 2008 as well as the myriad of updates available, for a fairly modern Office experience. A lot of people enjoy one of the last versions of LibreOffice made available for PowerPC, too, which is again available on "the Garden".

Cheers,

I do have a copy of office 2008, but i don't like its performance on this PPC model - with regards to CS4 I'll check it out once my iTunes archive has finished downloading. Normally it would've already failed downloading from OneDrive web at around the 1gb point (in tenfourfox), but tonight it's still going strong...it's at the 7gb mark (of about 30gb) :D

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 265

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
(just need to find a nice pair of Pro Speakers on ebay that don't cost as much as my apartment)

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@bastifantasti Here's some nice ones.

@Toyface19 https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comments/ies256/_/g2kh2ns

Reactions: bastifantasti

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Classic system preferences have disappeared - they were visible when I didn’t have an os 9 system folder present. Now I’ve installed a system 9 folder and the classic preferences from system settings has now disappeared - any thoughts? I did simply copy the system folder from my power Mac g4 agp over Ethernet - should I use the os 9 installation disk to copy the os9 folder across? I actually don’t have an os 9 disk compatible with macs that can’t boot into os 9 - I only have the os 9 cd rom that came with the power mac

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Weird, a restart fixed the issue and classic now works - an evening of duke nukem 3D ahead of me, pretending I’m a “youth” again ??

Reactions: Raging Dufus

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Opened the case ip in preparation for tomorrow's SSD arrival. Took the ram out to clear the dust outta all the nooks in the beast! You don't get logic boards or even cases as beautiful as this anymore:

Attachments

• 3E326C51-ADA4-4D8E-A7D6-B076D6FC53BE.JPG
    3E326C51-ADA4-4D8E-A7D6-B076D6FC53BE.JPG
    904.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 37FF9997-7DAA-47E9-A869-C05348CCE03F.JPG
    37FF9997-7DAA-47E9-A869-C05348CCE03F.JPG
    861.8 KB · Views: 273

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
You might want to replace that original battery while you're in there.
I have it on order, like a week ago ? - still not arrived ?

so drive is installed...now installing a fresh copy oftiger, I made one “giant” 250gb partition, however - disk utility is showing it as 232gb (is this because some people report a gb As 1024mb whereas modern retards with no idea about computers report it as 1000mb?).

interestingly I had to format the disk using leopard cd, as tiger cd kept on crashing...hope the disk isn’t too large for tiger?

Attachments

• D36D0702-96A4-4773-86BF-E17FAC7A30F8.jpeg
    D36D0702-96A4-4773-86BF-E17FAC7A30F8.jpeg
    644.6 KB · Views: 267
  • C7B62341-D0AE-4E53-8CBC-3157FF392D91.jpeg
    C7B62341-D0AE-4E53-8CBC-3157FF392D91.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 252

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
I have it on order, like a week ago ? - still not arrived ?

so drive is installed...now installing a fresh copy oftiger, I made one “giant” 250gb partition, however - disk utility is showing it as 232gb (is this because some people report a gb As 1024mb whereas modern retards with no idea about computers report it as 1000mb?).

interestingly I had to format the disk using leopard cd, as tiger cd kept on crashing...hope the disk isn’t too large for tiger?

(although I just tried to do some basic maths and I don’t think this discrepancy is about the definition of a gb)

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Yes, 250gb advertised space x 0.9313 = 232.8gb ? - was worried something was wrong with the SSD - I have waited for OVER ONE MONTH for OWC to have this sent ?

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
All I’ll say is WOW - obviously it’s not a Mac Pro - but this little ancient pile of metal is flying high right now!!!

Reactions: Windreader

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Wow TenFourFox has been updated again just today, v26 - or has that been our for a long time? This browser is also benefiting massively from my ssd - or maybe it’s all in my head. Everything feels so much smoother and faster...

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
So I told you all I am quite thankful that I "upgraded" (lol) my iMac G4 because I dropped a glass of vino on the MacBook Pro. It's a 13" Dual Core i5, 8gb RAM, 512gb SSD early 2015 model, and I purchased it from the Apple store in 2016 for £1250. The repair cost is £1300. I literally lost myself in the Apple Store screaming at them, calling them money grabbing idiots. They also told me I can't have the logic board back because it's their property if i go ahead with the repair, no longer my property - what weirdos.

The cost covers new logic board, new keyboard, and new SSD (can't believe they're charging me separately for that, because mine was the last model with a detachable SSD).

So I am thinking to not go ahead with the repair, and go for a MacBook Air 13" - will have same amount of RAM, 256gb SSD (downgrade from what I currently have), and a dualcore i3 - although I am not impressed with any of that. My insurance will cover the first £1000 and I am not really interested in another intel mac, my plan was to wait until ARM MacBooks are in their second generation and then to renew.

Thoughts?

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
So I told you all I am quite thankful that I "upgraded" (lol) my iMac G4 because I dropped a glass of vino on the MacBook Pro. It's a 13" Dual Core i5, 8gb RAM, 512gb SSD early 2015 model, and I purchased it from the Apple store in 2016 for £1250. The repair cost is £1300. I literally lost myself in the Apple Store screaming at them, calling them money grabbing idiots. They also told me I can't have the logic board back because it's their property if i go ahead with the repair, no longer my property - what weirdos.

The cost covers new logic board, new keyboard, and new SSD (can't believe they're charging me separately for that, because mine was the last model with a detachable SSD).

So I am thinking to not go ahead with the repair, and go for a MacBook Air 13" - will have same amount of RAM, 256gb SSD (downgrade from what I currently have), and a dualcore i3 - although I am not impressed with any of that. My insurance will cover the first £1000 and I am not really interested in another intel mac, my plan was to wait until ARM MacBooks are in their second generation and then to renew.

Thoughts?
Probably best to ask this in the MacBook subforums as I'm not sure many of PPC Mac users also use those modern laptops.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
So I am thinking to not go ahead with the repair, and go for a MacBook Air 13" - will have same amount of RAM, 256gb SSD (downgrade from what I currently have), and a dualcore i3 - although I am not impressed with any of that.
I wouldn't buy a new dual-core system anymore (HT or not) - I'd get a quad-core Air if I were you. Those extra cores are well worth having especially if this is going to be your main machine for years to come.

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Urgh, I just don't want another intel system at all. Why didn't i get drunk and spill liquid on my machine during the ARM release period?!

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
I wouldn't buy a new dual-core system anymore (HT or not) - I'd get a quad-core Air if I were you. Those extra cores are well worth having especially if this is going to be your main machine for years to come.
Totally agree - even when I got my MacBook Pro in 2016 I was sort of annoyed that I didn't spend a bit more for a quad core - so it's a total shambles that the dual core is still an option today...

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Totally agree - even when I got my MacBook Pro in 2016 I was sort of annoyed that I didn't spend a bit more for a quad core - so it's a total shambles that the dual core is still an option today...
In 2016, a quad-core would have meant upsizing to the 15". As for the dual-core still being available today, it's the low-end "I only use my computer for surfing and writing stuff" option.

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
In 2016, a quad-core would have meant upsizing to the 15". As for the dual-core still being available today, it's the low-end "I only use my computer for surfing and writing stuff" option.
In which case, I am even more appalled that a computer for browsing the interwebbles costs £999

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@bastifantasti If it's that much of an issue for you, there are always options - especially if you do not require macOS ...

This thing is a non-profit hex-core ARM-based metal 14" notebook with no Intel or Apple in sight. The ISO variants are currently out of stock, but should be restocked shortly, in which time you could conduct some research to see if something like this will work for your flow.

... And good for you for letting them have it. Although you should have brought down upper management for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: dextructor

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
@bastifantasti If it's that much of an issue for you, there are always options - especially if you do not require macOS ...

This thing is a non-profit hex-core ARM-based metal 14" notebook with no Intel or Apple in sight. The ISO variants are currently out of stock, but should be restocked shortly, in which time you could conduct some research to see if something like this will work for your flow.

... And good for you for letting them have it. Although you should have brought down upper management for that.
I moan, but for sure I will be either having the MacBook repaired or replaced ?

yves31

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2020
Opened the case ip in preparation for tomorrow's SSD arrival. Took the ram out to clear the dust outta all the nooks in the beast! You don't get logic boards or even cases as beautiful as this anymore:

I have the same iMac as yours and need pictures of inverter/speaker/fan cable connector that is close to LCD, IDE and power connectors.
I removed pins from the inverter connector when troubleshooting display issue. Now I like to put pins back to connector but cannot figure out color cable orders. Could you take some pictures of the cable connector/socket from different angles so that I can figure out wire connections? Thank you for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.