iMac Late 2013 freezes randomly

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ayaka19, Aug 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ayaka19 macrumors newbie

ayaka19

I have recently purchased a second hand iMac 2013, and since the internal HDD is pretty slow, I decided to buy a Samsung T5 SSD and boot it from there via USB 3.0 port.

A couple days after I did this, the computer sometimes freezes randomly. Weirdly, the mouse cursor still moves, but no UI elements can be clicked. Inputs from keyboard is totally ignored.

Also, sometimes when the computer is sleeping, I can't wake it up and it just got stuck on the password screen.

Does anyone else with setup similar to mine experience this? Is there a way to make this better?

2. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

What happens when you boot from the internal hard drive? Although the Samsung T5 is really designed to work from a USB 3.1/USB-C port for maximum speed, it still should not cause freezing. Since the machine was purchased second hand it's possible that it had a defect. Freezing can also be caused by a bad graphics card. You might want to run the Apple Hardware Test to see if it turns up anything.

3. ayaka19 thread starter macrumors newbie

ayaka19

It's a bit worse with internal hard drive. I have quite a lot of data and processes (been migrating user account since I first bought a Mac about a decade ago), and the spinning drive just doesn't keep up with it anymore.

How do I run the Apple Hardware test?

4. Cruz3LT macrumors member

Cruz3LT

I believe you just hold down D when restarting. Why not just replace the internal drive with a SSD? It is really a simple process, I just did it.

5. ayaka19 thread starter macrumors newbie

ayaka19

I think it is not that simple. I've changed hard drives out of Macbooks before, but with iMacs you need to use heating pads and glue the screen back again, that's why I'd rather just boot out of external drive. I've seen other people recommend Samsung T5 here.

6. Cruz3LT macrumors member

Cruz3LT

No heating pads and it’s adhesive strips. You just slice through them. Everything you need comes in a kit (tool, suction cups and new adhesive strips). Also you can blow out all the dust that has collected during the 6 years of use. That can also play a role in poor performance.

7. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

Your 2013 model has the screen attached via adhesive strips as @Cruz3LT has stated. Mac Sales sells the kits which includes the adhesive strips. Your model will also require a hard drive/SSD heat sensor bypass otherwise the hard drive fan will run full speed. www.macsales.com

8. ThugFreak, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019

ThugFreak macrumors member

ThugFreak

Buy the adhesive strips from iFixit instead. They sell the easy to cut foam tape that Apple uses.
    OWC still sells the plastic tape that is hell to cut through.
    Of course, if you're not planning to remove the display again, I guess it doesn't matter.