Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I'm tossing up between a top of the line
iMac 2017 with 1TB SDD which will cost about £3k + 64GB of 3rd party RAM or a bottom of the line iMac Pro which will cost £5k + 32 extra GB of Apple (or 3rd party if poss. RAM)

For the extra 2k I get a much more powerful CPU with 8 cores, Vega graphics and 4 TB3 ports.

I don't think it is silly to consider the iMac Pro even if it is an all-in-one. It's actually a tough choice as my professional work has recently taken a turn towards 4k video production and those extra cores and Vega graphics would be useful. I also need to think about not just what I need now, but what I will need in 2-3 years time.

It may well depend on what Black Friday deals I find on the 2017 iMac - if I find something too good to pass up or not.

I suppose I could always ask Siri...

I just wouldn't want a workstation where I couldn't replace parts down the road, and I figure most people that need workstations don't want to replace their monitor every time. To each his own though, I get that there's a variety of different use cases out there.

I'm mostly just annoyed because my 2010 MP is on its last legs and I'm having to use my Windows box while I wait to see what Apple FINALLY does next year. No way I'm replacing with something that has poor thermals, can't be upgraded, and would cost me my beautiful 34" 21:9 display.

So you generate a falsely asserted scenario because the iMac Pro doesn't meet your expectations, even though it might meet others. Got it.

I feel that there are very few legitimate reasons to cram workstation functionality into an all-in-one other than to look pretty, so it's more than just my expectations. It's one of the most pure examples of form over function in recent memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I just wouldn't want a workstation where I couldn't replace parts down the road, and I figure most people that need workstations don't want to replace their monitor every time. To each his own though, I get that there's a variety of different use cases out there.

I'm mostly just annoyed because my 2010 MP is on its last legs and I'm having to use my Windows box while I wait to see what Apple FINALLY does next year. No way I'm replacing with something that has poor thermals, can't be upgraded, and would cost me my beautiful 34" 21:9 display.

I feel that there are very few legitimate reasons to cram workstation functionality into an all-in-one other than to look pretty, so it's more than just my expectations. It's one of the most pure examples of form over function in recent memory.
A lot of businesses buy these things by the doZen. They never upgrade the internals because they depreciate the cost and replace after the depreciation period. In the mean time they want every desktop to have identical configuration and don’t want anyone opening them up.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
A lot of businesses buy these things by the doZen. They never upgrade the internals because they depreciate the cost and replace after the depreciation period. In the mean time they want every desktop to have identical configuration and don’t want anyone opening them up.
Also pretty much every school

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
Do you really want Apple to cripple MacOS just so you can drag and tap things with your finger?

Who cares if it’s the same exterior design?

I care. Look at Surface Studio. Way much better design than the old crappy iMac. In the iMac, you can not even adjust the height. You cannot be serious if you think the iMac design is ok, or you might work for Apple.

If you need to upgrade components, this isn’t the product for you. But as for a 5K screen with P3 colour gamut.. why would you want to upgrade that anyway?

In all the Pro machines (old tower) we were able to upgrade anything, from RAM to internal HD very easily.
Any "Pro" machine should be able to be upgraded easily.
Closing the machines and make it difficult to upgrade is just a marketing campaign, that it is not consumer friendly.

Seriously!!!!!!!!

Seriously...

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
FakeA10FusionChip.kext
[doublepost=1512587817][/doublepost]
And now macOS could run iOS apps at native speed. That's a big deal for developers that you can truly build a single app that can run on phone, tablet and desktop seemingly without much extra work. That's not to say the best user experience on the Mac having an iOS-like user experience for every app, but for some apps it may be like games and potentially others.

The same apps that run on the iPhone A10 with 2/3GB RAM while the iMac *Pro* A10 has 512MB?

Shalev

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2015
sounds great, the price is the only reason i haven't upgraded yet....... i use to a 650-750 every year or two and now the price is almost my MacBook pro price..

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Is anyone else thinking that Apple may want its Mac's embedded ARM chips to take over some of the tasks currently handled by the Management Engine inside all Intel x86/-64 CPUs, or is it just me?
Actually, the potential ramifications of the Intel chip design snafu go way beyond just Apple. To really fix the problem, Intel will need to do a major redesign of its chips. Until that happens, correction must be implemented in microcode (BIOS/EFI level firmware and low level kernel software). This will induce performance hits on Intel based computers, anywhere from 3% to high estimates of 30%. So, in the meantime, until Intel can bring new chip design to market, hardware vendors will need to turn to non-Intel chip manufacturers for new computers if they are to roughly maintain performance levels to which their customers are accustomed. If Intel takes a nose dive, this could have a huge influence on the computer hardware market, both in sales and technologically. ARM and AMD remain the most visible alternatives to Intel, as other chip designs such as RISC have largely disappeared over the last 20 years with cheap Intel processors coming to the fore.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
@curtvaughan: If there are any vulnerabilities in the ME, then they'd be the one exploited by a ring (-3) rootkit, the one in zero-touch provisioning, SA-00075 'Silent Bob is Silent', PLATINUM, or SA-00086, not chip-wide ones like Meltdown or Spectre. I do, however, agree that horrible messes of nasty lie down those last two gnarly, knotty rabbit holes as well. In any case, Apple wouldn't be the first company to work around all of the former vulnerabilities by disabling the ME. I don't know of anybody else who might have tried to utterly replace the ME by offloading (at least some of) its functionality to a custom external chip, at least not off-hand

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
@curtvaughan: If there are any vulnerabilities in the ME, then they'd be the one exploited by a ring (-3) rootkit, the one in zero-touch provisioning, SA-00075 'Silent Bob is Silent', PLATINUM, or SA-00086, not chip-wide ones like Meltdown or Spectre. I do, however, agree that horrible messes of nasty lie down those last two gnarly, knotty rabbit holes as well. In any case, Apple wouldn't be the first company to work around all of the former vulnerabilities by disabling the ME. I don't know of anybody else who might have tried to utterly replace the ME by offloading (at least some of) its functionality to a custom external chip, at least not off-hand
Dell has been quite rapidly supplying BIOS updates to circumvent SA-00086. I updated my XPS-13 (running Linux) just several days ago from this website:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GVNVJ

As to whether vendors (Apple included here) will choose to disable ME, the article you referenced indicates that it would be ineffective against SA-00086, as the vulnerability is apparently loaded so early in the boot process. To quote:

Effectiveness against vulnerabilities[edit]
None of the two methods to disable the ME discovered so far turned out to be an effective countermeasure against the SA-00086 vulnerability.[57] This is because the vulnerability is in an early-loaded ME module that is essential to boot the main CPU.[58]

It's worth noting in the case of my PC's running Linux, specifically with Dell (as it is the only one to have yet issued a BIOS patch addressing SA-00086), even with the BIOS update applied, and with updated kernels also meant to address the vulnerability, none of the three Linux distros on the XPS-13 (Ubuntu, Antergos, Mint) test as being completely secure. Tests can indicate whether the kernel patches have been completed, and tests can be made to detect BIOS vulnerabilities independent of the kernel, but the interaction between the OS and microcode in the firmware is as yet not clearly verifiable - leaving the machine to be declared "vulnerable".

The opera ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and she has yet to make her appearance .... I've diverted somewhat from Apple specifically, primarily because Apple is less forthcoming about details of their patches and tests. Since they control both the firmware and OS kernel on their machines, I would assume they might have an easier go of fixing things in both EFI/BIOS as well as with the BSD kernel they deploy. As they also use Intel chips, I'm guessing they are running into similar firmware/kernel issues.

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
Guess I should have done more than skim the material I referenced before I did, huh? (Oops.) You make good points, and it sounds like you're more knowledgable about the situation than I am. I've mostly just been following Purism since they've been featured in Phoronix articles over at least the past six months, and I only found that other news site relatively recently. Sounds like things are more serious than I though, then…hmmmm. Still, if Apple intends to use its T-series chips to manage things like booting and power states, at least some of which are traditionally managed by the ME, could they use it to do more? What other ME functions could the T-series chips take over? Or are you saying that I'm grasping at straws here?

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
@RandomDSdevel: I'm rather thinking it is too early to tell exactly what direction computer vendors are going to take. It will possibly be a two-pronged approach, dependent upon how quickly chipset manufacturers, esp. Intel, are able to fix SA-00086 at the hardware level. Whether this will involve removal of ME in favor of some other chip level paradigm, or the alteration of ME to make it more secure, or just the removal of MINIX altogether at the firmware/hardware abstraction level isn't clear - and that's just from Intel's corner. That Intel's CEO sold nearly 200 thousand shares, down to the minimum allowed by law (250000 until a specified "grace period" is complete), some weeks before the public announcement of SA-00086 leads one to believe that there's no consensus for direction from Intel's top management. In any case, vendors (including Apple) have some immediate decisions to make:

1) move away from Intel in favor of AMD, ARM, or perhaps a yet-to-be designed and/or released CPU offering from other parties
2) how to best mitigate currently vulnerable Intel hardware issues with OS and firmware without crippling performance
3) how to best allocate software engineering R&D for future OS designs, depending on decisions made with 1) and 2)

To make a long story short, I don't think you are grasping at straws - it's just too early to answer your question, and it may just be a hypothetical, depending on how 1,2, and 3 take shape in the coming year. I see this as rather a disaster on Intel's part, particularly as they have been less than forthcoming until recently about the existence and function of ME in their chip designs for OVER A DECADE. That makes Apple's battery/performance snafu with iOS seem trivial.

As food for thought, check out Intel's rather depressing revelation, some of which goes back to November - with edits in December. Krzanich, Intel's CEO, began selling his stock on Nov. 29.

https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.