iMac Shipments Running Low Ahead of Refresh?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AppleInsider reports that Apple has begun advising third-party retail partners of impending shortages of the company's iMac models, suggesting that a refresh of the company's popular all-in-one desktop line may be in store for the near future.
In particular, a person familiar with the matter says the Mac maker is informing some of its distributors not to expect any further stock of the entry level 21.5-inch, 3.06GHz iMac, implying that production of that model has ceased.

Meanwhile, those with ties to the company's stateside reseller channels are being advised to sell through their stock of all existing iMac models and to keep their inventories as lean as possible for the next few weeks.
Just last week, Hardmac reported that the Mac Pro would see an "end of summer" update, with iMac updates not following until several weeks after that. The site also claimed that the iMac may gain USB 3.0 and faster FireWire connectivity as part of the refresh.

The iMac was last updated in October, when it saw a major redesign to shift to 21.5-inch and 27-inch LED displays.

Article Link: iMac Shipments Running Low Ahead of Refresh?

Voytech

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
FW3200 and USB3 please.
I wouldn't count on that. As is, the i7 iMac gets just about the same performance figures as a quad Mac Pro. The number one thing that stops professional use of these is connectivity. I wouldn't count on much changes there. If it happens – terrific. I'll be in line for one.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
the screens on the iMac are junk. i wish "screengate" became a popular term years ago when this started.
I thought the new iMacs were fine? Don't they use higher quality IPS displays like the ACD now?

If I could get the 21.5" in a quad-core configuration, that would be very appealing! Especially at nearly the same price points. A video card bump wouldn't hurt either, in addition to the yummy new USB 3.0!

Glad to hear some Mac news too!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

wickerman1893 said:
Would be nice to see a new case design :)
No

JohnRN

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The 27" already has an i5 or i7 in it. You're referring to the 21.5" ?
I know I would love a 21" with a i5/i7 in it! The 27's are beautiful no doubt about that, it just wouldn't fit for the space I have. I just wonder about heat dissapation issues, don't the 21's/27's use desktop class chips in them now as of the last refresh instead of mobile?

catracho

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
The iMac needs an i5 processor in the base model.

The i3 must be used only in the Mac Mini.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I too am happy to hear some iMac news and not iPhone or iPad news as it seems that all there usually is.

That said however, it is the end of next week now, and I was hoping Apple would have their stuff together on the iPhone 4 free case form, etc.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Yes. This article is about the base model 21.5" iMac. So if they refresh the entry level 21.5" iMac, I want an Core i5 CPU or better.
Actually this report is about all iMac models. Thus the confusion.:)

I'm gonna guess the 21.5" will get the core i3 since the i5 and i7 put out too much heat for the smaller space in the 21.5"

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
I hope they don't do something drastic to blow my iMac out of the water. I'm curious about the patents that surfaced awhile ago about the computer recognizing objects held up to the screen. I'm still happy with my machine, although Snow Leopard still has the occasional beach ball, the hardware with my computer is solid.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Good to know.. Hoping to see DirectX 11, USB & Sata 3.0.. aswell as an HDMI port..

Oh yeah, and it better have a Core i3 :p..

atomwork

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
Amazing, that would mean APPLE upgrades their consumer gear before the pro great. A MacPro upgrade would be much more needed - Almost 1 1/2 years old. Especially with some of these nice ATI Readon GPU cards, like the 5760.

bbeers

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Maryland
Huge Shipping Delay

I order 5 27" iMacs from the Government sales on June 24th and have am still waiting them to ship. My estimated shipping date Aug. 5th. When I called about why, they said that they would be shipped when all items are ready. The only thing else I order was AppleCare. So what is going on. If it is a refresh, then fine I will wait but I hate being in the dark when I have projects that I need the macs to help me complete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.