Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Because the disposable game market is a HUGE one !!!
The same can be said for PC vs iPad .. Plus I think it's only a matter of time before we see something close to console gaming :).

BTW if you've played dead space on iPad or iPhone you'll really like the gameplay and graphics

Or, I could play it on my Playstation 3, where it's infinitely better.

In regards to your comments regarding the disposable gaming market being huge, there's a reason for that: it takes little to no monetary and time commitment to indulge in. The games are mostly inconsequential time wasters. They're play-as-you-go entertainment. If anything, with GTA V grossing over $1 billion in its first few days of release, there's further proof that given a perceived quality of the product, the home gaming market is as strong as ever.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
This tied in with Apple TV will be a massive hit to Xbox and playstation

doubt it. iPhone won't be getting the big budget games like GTA5.

And since it's a 3rd party accessory, adoption rate will be pretty low.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I won't buy anything that requires the phone to be placed inside it like this Logitech one shows. next year Apple will change the design and it will be worthless!! They need one that can mount a wide variety of phone styles or have no mount at all...

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I don't know why you guys are so negative, it looks great to me. Obviously they are going to have other models that will have analog sticks, this is the "simple" profile that will be perfect for lots of retro games at least, and new ones now that developers know what they have to work with.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Looks pretty good. Does the API support analog sticks? This controller looks great for classics, but Id like dual analog sticks for most of the games I wish I had a controller for.

Yeah, the API does support dual sticks. There are different profiles for different controls, the one shown here with just a D-pad and buttons is the lowest-level profile.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Disappointed it doesn't let 'hon' show through at the back.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
doubt it. iPhone won't be getting the big budget games like GTA5.

And since it's a 3rd party accessory, adoption rate will be pretty low.

It would not be for GTA5 fans. It would gut xbox live arcade and similar ecosystems. If apple released a new apple tv with an A7X and an app store, it is only a local storage problem away from being the ultimate casual gamer system for both fans and developers.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Do you ever say anything more than one vague sentence in your posts?

He does that a lot.. I think he does it to generate hits for his crappy blogs or something. So it's basically spam. Hence the race to post some inane spam-like comment the moment a new MR post appears.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
It looks like the fall event is going to be very game-centric. Not just with game controllers for the iphone and iPad, but with the Apple TV. I even expect the press invite to hint it.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
This tied in with Apple TV will be a massive hit to Xbox and playstation

Considering my Apple TV takes about 2 minutes just to stream a 30 second video I shot from my iPhone 5s to my TV, they would have to do some SERIOUS work to stream a game to ATV.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I think the Xbox and Playstation are about to get their lunch eaten. And I'm not even sure they're going to realize they were served a plate.

New consoles come out - every 6-7 years?

New iPhones come out annually.

Some benchmarks have places the iPhone 5s at roughly the same speed at a MacBook Pro from 5 years ago. And with annual updates, it stands a real chance of catching up to the current generation of gaming consoles. (Assuming consoles stick to their current update cycle). The games may not quite have caught up, but they will.*

An iOS gaming ecosystem has so much going for it. Portability. Instant purchases of games and apps. The ability to stream to any Apple TV.

The days of dedicated gaming consoles are numbered.

--------------------

*One caveat. iOS price wars. People have no problem plunking down $50+ for a console game. Even a computer game. But for whatever reason, people aren't wanting to plunk down nearly that much for the same game on an iOS device. This will either lead to game developers passing on console games for iOS...or games that are virtually unplayable without in-app purchases. I really can't predict how that's going to shake out.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Too chunky. The surfboard design will not catch on. There is already an extremely successful portable game hardware company to learn from. The SP was better received than the original GBA and the Micro for a very good reason, and form factor also contributed to the success of the DS line against the PSP and Vita.

Even LG stumbled across the concept some years ago.

lgversagamepadmodule1.jpg

Sony made an improved attempt fairly recently as well, though without success due to the extremely fragmented nature of Android development.

Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Play_11.jpg

Make it convenient to carry. Make it attractive. Make it affordable. Give it a secondary function beyond being a controller (increased battery, protecting the screen, etc). There is great potential for a controller accessory, but it will never take off looking like Logitech's attempt.

Impuls3101

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
The problem with that is the weight balance is bad, and moving the controller by, say, hitting the fire button hard, really moves the display quite a bit.

I do like the idea though.

It does come with an external stand :) I wish OS would allow this to connect via bluetooth.

PowerA-MOGA-Pro-with-Stand_592x.jpg

iFajar

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Considering my Apple TV takes about 2 minutes just to stream a 30 second video I shot from my iPhone 5s to my TV, they would have to do some SERIOUS work to stream a game to ATV.

I think the Apple TV should run the game. So in fact, the ATV becomes a game console with an AppStore. Your iPhone/iPad will become the controller and the second screen. So there is no heavy streaming to the Apple TV. This is how I see Apple will implement it, if they are going to ;)

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I won't buy anything that requires the phone to be placed inside it like this Logitech one shows. next year Apple will change the design and it will be worthless!! They need one that can mount a wide variety of phone styles or have no mount at all...

I don't expect the price tag to be that high that it'd be a big issue if this won't last longer than your current phone.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
*One caveat. iOS price wars. People have no problem plunking down $50+ for a console game. Even a computer game. But for whatever reason, people aren't wanting to plunk down nearly that much for the same game on an iOS device. This will either lead to game developers passing on console games for iOS...or games that are virtually unplayable without in-app purchases. I really can't predict how that's going to shake out.

well. 99 cents (even $5) is not going to do very well with games that takes years to develop. So welcome to the future where you have to pay real money for in game weapons/contents.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
I think the Xbox and Playstation are about to get their lunch eaten. And I'm not even sure they're going to realize they were served a plate.

New consoles come out - every 6-7 years?

New iPhones come out annually.

Some benchmarks have places the iPhone 5s at roughly the same speed at a MacBook Pro from 5 years ago. And with annual updates, it stands a real chance of catching up to the current generation of gaming consoles. (Assuming consoles stick to their current update cycle). The games may not quite have caught up, but they will.*

An iOS gaming ecosystem has so much going for it. Portability. Instant purchases of games and apps. The ability to stream to any Apple TV.

The days of dedicated gaming consoles are numbered.

--------------------

There are a number of flaws in your assumptions. Namely, how exactly would Apple steal gamers from Microsoft and Sony? What first-and-third party developer support does Apple have? Is Rockstar going to support Apple to the same degree? What about Rare, Naughty Dog, Quantic Dreams? Are they going to produce equal quality gaming for Apple? iOS developer support cannot compare, in both quality of the final product and intuitive nature of the gameplay, to true console and PC developers. And that's why people are willing to pays premium for the software. Apple, given its current gaming strategy, will not make a big dent in Sony's and Microsoft's strategies.

If Apple successfully manages to dilute the quality of home console gaming by moving the entire industry to casual gaming, I will never forgive them. They will have destroyed an industry.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I think the Apple TV should run the game. So in fact, the ATV becomes a game console with an AppStore. Your iPhone/iPad will become the controller and the second screen. So there is no heavy streaming to the Apple TV. This is how I see Apple will implement it, if they are going to ;)

I don't think iPhone should be involved at all. Just Apple TV with controllers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.