Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of tomorrow's launch of the iPad 2, Apple has launched iMovie and GarageBand for the device, the two main apps featured during the iPad 2 launch event last week. Each app costs $4.99.

133121-imovie_ipad_hawaii.jpg

iMovie [App Store], comes as an update to the existing iPhone application, becoming a universal app compatible with the iPad 2, iPhone 4, and fourth-generation iPod touch.What's New in Version 1.2

- Universal app designed for iPad 2, iPhone 4, and iPod touch (4th generation).
- Multi-Touch Precision Editor (iPad only).
- Multitrack audio editing with 8 themed soundtracks and over 50 bundled sound effects.
- Audio recording directly into the timeline.
- Audio waveforms (iPad only).
- Three new themes - Neon, Simple, and CNN iReport.
- HD sharing directly to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and CNN iReport.
- AirPlay support for sharing to Apple TV (compatible only with second-generation Apple TV; requires iOS 4.3 or later).
- Project transfer to your computer and compatible iOS devices through iTunes.
- Ability to add titles on photos.
- Option to add fade-in from black and fade-out to black.
- Numerous enhancements, including trimming in Video Browser, in-use markers, video rotation, and more.
133121-garageband_ipad_piano.jpg

GarageBand [App Store] is an iPad-only application compatible with both the first- and second-generation models.GarageBand turns your iPad into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio - so you can make music anywhere you go. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play pianos, organs, guitars, drums, and basses on your iPad. They sound and play like their counterparts, but let you do things you could never do on a real instrument. Enjoy a full range of Smart Instruments that make you sound like a pro - even if you've never played a note before. Plug an electric guitar into your iPad and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use the built-in microphone or a guitar to record, or capture any performance. Then mix up to eight tracks to create a song you can share.For U.S. customers, Apple will begin taking orders for the iPad 2 in its online store at 1:00 AM tomorrow, with in-store availability set for 5:00 PM local time.

Article Link: iMovie and GarageBand for iPad Go Live in App Store

djkirsten

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
Just like the original iMovie for iOS....let us know when this is hacked to work on the original iPad.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
For anyone who gets garage band and has an iRig device to plug your guitar into your ipad, tell me if it works. I'm at work all day and won't be able to try my iRig with it until tonight. Thanks.

Baschdi616

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Germany
GarageBand and iMovie are now available in the AppStore!

In the description of iMovie you can read, that it is only for iPad 2. GarageBand should also be for iPad 1. But I'm not 100% sure! :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's a universal app but only works on the current lineup of iPhone4, iPad2, and iPod touch 4G. It's a free d/l if you bought the previous version of iMovie for iPhone only.

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
Cant beat the price. Thats what sets the iPad apart from other tablets. Content. Or should I say polished content.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
Because Apple did not add 512 MB in the iPad 1, using this will be difficult. I guess that is why the did not add it to the iPhone 3GS

it's not the RAM since it is compatible with the iPod touch, which supposedly has 256MB. I would bet it just requires the A4 and Apple wanted to limit to devices that are capable of shooting video independently.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
The download won't work while on the iPad1. Message pops up saying a App requires a front facing camera.

Have to download from a PC or Mac

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
I'll be in line at the Apple Store in St Louis tomorrow to pick up my iPad. As a musician, I'm pretty excited about Garageband being so portable.

dadoftwogirls

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Florida
Funny... I went on my iPhone4 and selected updates and it doesn't come up even though I own the app and it is on my phone. The updated version shows in the App Store as indicated. Wonder what's up with mine?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
It's a universal app but only works on the current lineup of iPhone4, iPad2, and iPod touch 4G. It's a free d/l if you bought the previous version of iMovie for iPhone only.

it can be universal and still be limited to a device and functionality, just like iMovie before this update was only able to be loaded on an iPhone 4 or a 4th Generation iPod touch.

Netflicks is a Universal app but only does video out on the most current devices.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
In the description of iMovie you can read, that it is only for iPad 2. GarageBand should also be for iPad 1. But I'm not 100% sure! :)

I hope you'r right, GarageBand looks awesome, but the UK wont get iPad 2 till the end of the month. And I want to play it!

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I happened to hit refresh right at 10:30 when it went live and immediately downloaded. 20 minutes later and its still only 2/3 finished downloading.
This download getting hit big time.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
these apps are included with the ipad2, right?

I'm pretty excited about playing with garage band for the first time...
I'm not a mac user, so it'll be new for me.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Great! I was hoping it would be a free iMovie update, but I feared not (just because Jobs didn’t mention that).

Time to grab GB, Pages and Numbers in preparation for my first iPad! I’ve already pre-bought a ton of iPad games by waiting for sales on AppShopper and PandoraBox during the past year.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Funny... I went on my iPhone4 and selected updates and it doesn't come up even though I own the app and it is on my phone. The updated version shows in the App Store as indicated. Wonder what's up with mine?

I got the same message, but if you go to the App Store and click Buy, it will notify you that you have previously purchased that app and the you will be getting this update for free and to click "OK" or "Cancel"

these apps are included with the ipad2, right?

I'm pretty excited about playing with garage band for the first time...
I'm not a mac user, so it'll be new for me.

no, they are available starting now ($4.99 each) if you would like to own those apps, but they are not part of iOS 4.3 or the new iPad 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

dirtycal

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
MIDI Keyboard with iPad

Can anyone with an iPad and Garageband tell me if Garageband for iPad accepts MIDI input from a keyboard? I've been looking around online and on Apple's website and I can't seem to find any references about it. It just seems to mention plugging in a guitar.

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I happened to hit refresh right at 10:30 when it went live and immediately downloaded. 20 minutes later and its still only 2/3 finished downloading.
This download getting hit big time.

it took me all but 10 seconds to download the update just a few minutes ago, check your internet connection. This file is only 69MB and should not take 20+ minutes

Great! I was hoping it would be a free iMovie update, but I feared not (just because Jobs didn’t mention that).

Time to grab GB, Pages and Numbers in preparation for my first iPad! I’ve already pre-bought a ton of iPad games by waiting for sales on AppShopper and PandoraBox during the past year.

It is a free update.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I have the original iMovie app, so why am I not getting the option to update?

Edit: nvm, Had to click buy again?

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Having never purchased an Apple made app before (besides the ones that came with my ipod touch), how often do you think I can expect updates to garage band? Do they update often? Mainly I'd just love to see added instruments, effects, and such.

Yes i know this won't run on my touch, i'm planning on getting an ipad2 (well....probably).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.