Inaugural Summer PowerPC Challenge! July 1-8, 2017

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Take half the forum off your ignore list then! :p

Not that you'll see this!

2. Lastic, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017

Lastic macrumors 6502a

Day 7

Well, I got home after work way too late and had to get up early in the morning.

Day 8

Lots of things to do so wasn't home much.

Day 9

Decided to pick up my AOSC slack, currently chatting with the AOSC devs on their IRC channel and advanced a bit further
    but my HDD equipped Powerbook is a drag so I cloned my SSD based one's OS X partition .
    Currently installing Lubuntu on the SSD PB G4 and then AOSC OS.

I'll keep continuing with AOSC on the G4 and Fedora Server on the G5, typing this on my MBp simply because all the PPC ones have a non-working OS , yet :)

3. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

To conclude the week: I had no real problems sticking to PPCs and could totally live with it. But... I missed Netflix :D Even though I have a huge collection of DVDs and video cassettes I sometimes want to see new movies and Netflix is quite good for that. Some might have a smartTV and can enjoy Netflix on that but I don't. For me movies are the point where I can't stick to PPC only, especially because of modern codecs. I plan on playing a bit with my 'new' Apple TV 1 and OSMC and it's plugins and maybe it's CrystalHD card if I manage to get one. Anyone here has experiences with that?

4. mryingster macrumors regular

mryingster

I've been avoiding reporting, but I failed at the challenge. I might have to do a make up challenge...

The first 2 or 3 days, I couldn't get my computer to boot (PM G4 DA). I thought the power supply might be bad because it would only power on for a second or so. Finally, a few days in I thought that maybe the clock battery might be causing issues. Sure enough, I removed the battery, and I was able to boot.

My day to day tasks are still fine on the PPC. Maybe a little slower. I'm used to browsing with no script anyway ;)

My side job/hobby requires Illustrator, and I use CS2 on the PPC. It works fine. I can import newer filetypes generally without issue. I miss having multiple art boards though.

But, like amagichnich said, you can't netflix on a PPC... So I ended up failing.

Man. Leopard looks better than any of the newer OSes though.

5. Lastic macrumors 6502a

Thought I come back to give a report also.

After a Sunday of chatting on IRC with the AOSC guys, I still couldn't get AOSC to boot.
    JeffBai and all the others on the IRC channel were very helpfull but since Jeff had a deadline to catch ,so I left it and told him I would pick it back up later .

As for the G5 , no time yet , too busy with Fedora 26 on my x86 Thinkpad X220.

Come to think of it , my MBp has barely seen any use even after the challenge, either I'm on a PPC or the Fedora Powered Thinkpad.

In the meanwhile I'm trying to transfer a Win10/Fedora install on my Lenovo X220 from HDD to SSD since this is my work laptop and I need it, whilst studying Python scripting for Network Engineers on Udemy so the PPC stuff has been on hold currently because of this and other priorities.

I did restore Leopard on my PB G4 12" SSD so I could at least use it again and check out megazoomer .

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I know it won't give you multiple artboards, but Adobe CS4 DOES run on G4/G5 systems.

Didn't know if you were aware of that.

7. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

@Adamscomputerrepair so sorry to hear about your iBook! When I had mine I really liked it as well. My second-favorite laptop (the first is the BlackBook I'm using ;)). So, if you do end up getting a Power Mac, will the PB become your laptop?

8. Adamscomputerrepair macrumors 6502

Adamscomputerrepair

Yes and no. Right now, I have my MacBook that I have to use for school. But, I also have a surface pro 1 that I made into a hackintosh. It’s literally perfect and is read as a 2013 MacBook Air. Idk if I will go with a powermac or a Mac Pro. I’m not sure yet.

9. mryingster macrumors regular

mryingster

Not sure I knew that. I skipped from CS3 to CS5. Come to think of it, I should put CS3 on my PPC and upgrade from CS2...

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yeah, the only catch with CS4 is that you have to run each individual installer. There are a few Intel only apps in the suite and because of that the master installer won't recognize PowerPC.

The big three are good though. InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator CS4.

11. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

Agreed! I consider it the best looking stock OS X. Also it's the most tweakable OS, one can easily change the complete surface

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I'm not quite sure about that.

I do miss Shapeshifter. You can indeed theme Leopard, but there is ONE spot no one has been able to theme and that is the white background of Finder windows.

You can do it if you view things in Icon view, but other than specific cases, who does that?

Despite all my best efforts with a black theme for my Leopard Macs I cannot make the background of Finder windows black with light gray text.

Shapeshifter on Tiger can.

13. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

Headshot in my knees :D youre absolutely right. I should start thinking

14. z970mp macrumors 65816

I do that.

24/7.

I've also stuck to PowerPC Macs full-time 24/7 since June 2015.

Now I'd like to see somebody beat that.

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

OK. I've found the one person out there who does this! :)

I can't stand seeing everything in icons. Just can't do it.
    Christmas 2001 to early 2015. I think March 2015 is when I got my MBP. Earlier than Christmas 2001 if you count the fact that I used G4s at work from 1999 until 2005.

I'll give you mid-2013 if you want to count the Mac Pro at work as me not being entirely PowerPC. The G5 my coworker uses now was mine at work from February 2005 to mid-2013.

I don't count the PC my wife won in mid-2015 as I don't use that computer.

16. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

Early 2002 - 2017.

17. SourceSunTom macrumors regular

SourceSunTom

I'm late but I sort of did the challenge last week coding LeopardRebirth when I think of it x)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2017 ---
    I'dd love to see a new challenge like that in the future, maybe I can participate :p

18. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Well, of course there will be the 2nd Annual Winter PowerPC Challenge during the first week of January, so there is your opportunity!

19. AphoticD macrumors 65832

AphoticD

Did you resolve this? It looks like MOL is failing when trying to access the Optical drive. Try ripping the disc first, then booting from this disc image.

Alternatively, create and install the OS on a raw format img using QEMU, then boot from the img with MOL for better performance.

I put together a MOL HOWTO write-up a few months back with config for networking:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-mac-on-linux-mol-kvm-on-ubuntu-mate-ppc-g5.2034161/

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.