Incase Hardshell for MBP is out!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chiefroastbeef, Jun 13, 2008.

1. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Finally after a two week delay!

http://goincase.com/products/detail/15-hardshell-case-cl57117

My local Apple store(Plano, Texas) had it in stock, and I picked one up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Absolutely awesome product, been waiting for it since I purchased my MBP a month and some ago. I hope the reduced angle of the screen won't bother me much, and the Hardshell does add a little weight to the MBP. I can feel my forearms straining picking it up with one hand. Time to eat spinach.

2. johngardiner macrumors regular

Looks nice... am hoping someone can post a review of it so I can decide between a sleeve or a hardshell!

3. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

notcot reviewed the Hardshell for the Macbook a while ago http://www.notcot.com/archives/2008/03/incase_hardshel.php

It looks absolutely solid and beautiful. If you want full protection, why not get a Hardshell, and put it in a sleeve during transport? 100 percent peace of mind.

Me personally, the Hardshell will be more than enough.

4. duncanm macrumors member

5. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Interesting. I really liked it when they came out with it for the Macbooks. Something on my list to check out.

6. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just place my order for a Frost Hardshell, gonna have it shipped to my friend, then overseas to me.

Cannot wait!

7. paola105 macrumors 6502

paola105

Nice! I do wish I had extra 50 bucks to spend.

8. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Interesting side view picture on the website...that MBP only has one USB port!

9. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

the Penryn MBP has one USB port on both sides. I do wish that all ports are on the left hand side.

10. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

My SR pre-penryn had one on each side too. I thought that only the 17" had two on one side, and one on the other? Who knows.

What happened to the purple? I was looking forward to it... red isn't really my color. :(

11. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

The website says they plan to release more colors in the near future, guess you'll have to be patient and wait.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Man I searched high and low looking for this bad boy yesterday! Was it announced today? I was just going to be content with the other shell case thing (which I heard is rather cheap).

Just placed order.

Great find :D :apple:

13. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

In all honesty though is this really necessary? Like I'm seriously asking that question, is it?

I've had my MBP(s) (about 3 of them) over nearly 2 years, and none of them have gotten so much as a scratch. Does this case protect well against drops? I guess if it did that alone would make it worth it.

14. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

It just gives me a peace of mind, now I can manhandle it like it's a badboy once in a while.

I got this because I wanted to protect it from scratches, since I wasn't sure if it is scratchtastic like the iPods. I don't believe the Hardshell will be of any protection from a drop.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Quick Question. Have any of you seen these on a Macbook?

I realize the white is effectively "frost", but is it light "frost" or heavy "frost".

I want to make some inserts for the top half :D

16. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean? The Frost Hardshell(pictured above) is a light frost.

Not sure what you are trying to ask. :eek:

17. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

looks like a light to me.. look at it! LOOK AT IT.

:D

18. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

wow this speck looks nice, from the apple store too

Attached Files:

19. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I had the Speck version on my MacBook... always wanted Incase to make one!

Totally awesome. A year of hard use, including journalism trip to war-torn regions in Sudan and Uganda, running off the 4x4 power, being tossed around, dirt, dust, airline cabins (horror!), checking e-mail at 2AM in a rowdy pub, and my MacBook looks like I brought it home from the Apple Store yesterday. Hard case ftw! :)

20. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Mr. Demi-God dude

how is the speck? would you get the incase over the speck?

edit: you just did an edit

21. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I had the black on my Blackbook and loved it. The reviews I have read from the MBP version have stated that it does not open much beyond 90 degrees. OP can you confirm this? How dark is the frost?

22. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

SchneiderMan, I've never used, or even seen, the Incase product in person, but if it's anything like their other products I know I'm going to love it!

The Speck is great, though all the little rubber feet came off within about a month of ownership. Not that it mattered, since the whole case is now a giant foot, and I have not noticed any loss in cooling ability.

23. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

The speck cases are a cheap piece of plastic. The incase are made of a nice rubberized materiel. They have a nice look and feel to them.

24. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Going on that assessment along I'd definitely go Incase next time around.

EDIT: Just checked out the Incase site... I'm going to say it's a far superior product. I love the speck, but looking at those pictures on the Incase site and I cannot wait to get my hands on one!

25. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked out both the Speck and the Incase. No mean to bash, but the Speck really is a cheap looking piece of plastic that looks like will scratch and crack(think of a CD case).

The Incase is truly worth the $50 dollars, and the quality and texture is impressive.

The Frost isn't dark at all, I can still see the aluminum behind the Hardshell. It really really looks great, much better than I thought, to the point that I actually prefer the look of the Frost Hardshell on than the bare aluminum! It gives it a smooth textured aluminum look.

You guys will not be disappointed!

If any of you want a specific view of the Hardshell, let me know and I will take the pictures.