Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I would love a pic of the side showing how far you can open it with the case on.

Here is the Black on my Blackbook. It never hindered opening the Macbook in the least. Hopefully this is the same with the MBP version

Attachments

• IC6.jpg
    IC6.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 250

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
It does hinder it a little, but not enough for me to notice it.

dsc0004gk4.jpg

hey do you have the glossy screen? in the first pics you put on, it looks like matt
this pic looks nice

i went to the applestore and the mbp's screen will not bend back alot/all the way and thats annoying

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I have the matte screen, it does look glossy there doesn't it. The screen not bending back doesn't bother me at all, do you really need to bend yours at such an extreme angle?

yes when i stand up.. but i will not do that with the mbp, because ive seen people here breaking the screen off lol

yes that screen is really nice

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Yeah, I actually tried to bend it as far back as possible after you asked. Right then I heard a crack at the hinge, peed my pants. Then I changed pants, checked the hinges, and it's otay. No more testing. :p

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I would be interested to know if this is as prone to dust/dirt getting inbetween the case and the mbp as my speck is, that alone would be a reason to upgrade.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I don't see how dust can get into the top half of the Hardshell, since it is pretty much sealed. The bottom however may be different since there are vents. Even if dusts gets through I don't think it'll be noticeable because of the matte finish of the Hardshell.

HFU

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2005
Looks great! Thanks for sharing. This is what I've been looking for, the frost matte finish. When Speck first released it's glossy Hardshell, I made an request for frost/matte version update, apparently they never listened.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If anyone wants I can take some pictures of my invisibleSHIELD, so y'all have something to compare to.

Also recently someone asked why my computer was shiny so I told them my computer is plastic and it was budget version of the 17" MBP for a grand less than the regular version... I feel kind of bad. :rolleyes:

a4abt

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Miami
I had the Speck shell and hated it. It makes the MBP look cheap. I bought the InCase hardshell this morning from my local Apple Store. It's by far better than the Speck model. However, both the InCase and the Speck limits how wide you can open the screen, which may irritate some users!

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have the Speck case on my MBP and it does feel cheap and flimsy for $50. But it's kept my laptop looking like new, even with dust and dirt from being out in the field.

The Incase will be interesting to check out though.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Mr. Demi-God dude

how is the speck? would you get the incase over the speck?

edit: you just did an edit

Hello,

After Owning Both, here is my brief review/comparison.

Speck:
-More Heat
-Plastic scratches up easily
-Much harder to put on, and take off
-The clear factor allows for true color to show through, but that means any little dirt, dust or fingerprint on the aluminum gets magnified

Incase
-Heat, despite the black, seems to be ventilated better
-Snaps in extremely easy
-Softer material much more comfortable
-The black creates an interesting contrast
-Doesn't bend back as much as the Speck

Definitely buy the Incase, but I'm not ready to bash the Speck one. It did it's job, and remember any scratch that came from the dirt and the case cannot be as bad as the scratch that inevitably would have gotten there.

It does look cool, but does it really prevent damage from a drop?

The short answer no. It may help your notebook in a drop, but there is a good chance that it's not going to have much effect. Your notebook is going to withstand certain amounts, what it will help with is dents, especially those caused by dropping your notebook back. Be safe, don't drop your notebook, the MacBook Pro is a compact machine that weighs a lot that isn't going to farewell when it hits the ground.

drteeth26

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
In one of the early versions of the speck case they didn't use a full cut out on the right hand side of the computer. They changed that after apple moved some ports around. The other problem that the 'enclosed' ports caused was you often couldnt use notebook locks. I am very interested in the Incase, but it looks like it might interfere with using a laptop lock. Can anyone test that out?

--Drteeth

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
In one of the early versions of the speck case they didn't use a full cut out on the right hand side of the computer. They changed that after apple moved some ports around. The other problem that the 'enclosed' ports caused was you often couldnt use notebook locks. I am very interested in the Incase, but it looks like it might interfere with using a laptop lock. Can anyone test that out?

--Drteeth

Where is the lock hole on the mbp? Is it the hole at the right side USB? If it is, there is a full round cut out.

If it doesn't have one, can't you just be a man and bust out the Black & Decker drill? :p

neilhart

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
SF Bay Area - Fremont
I was not happy with the Speck cover. I used one on the 15" MBP for a while. The bottom did not fit correctly on the front left. But worse after removing the top piece after a few weeks of use, I found "rub" marks (small black dots) at the corners of the top cover. This made me very unhappy.... I trashed the both pieces.

As an observation about this type of cover, it needs to be removed frequently and and cleaned. You need to avoid trapping any grit between the inside of the cover and the machine case.

Neil

drteeth26

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
yes, it's the oblong slot next to the USB on the right hand side. The problem is that most of the locks sit against the computer with a much larger footprint than the hole itself. And as for cutting it? If I'm going to pay 50$ i'd rather not have to modify it. I have experience cutting plastics and the likely hood of it cracking, or getting further scratched is very high...and I don't think they'd take a return after that kind of work.

--D.T.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
How can the black be better ventilated? It's just a color!

These were a comparison between the Speck v. Incase. I have a black Incase (which should be the hotter of the two, as it is black as opposed to clear or white, which wouldn't attract light as much and therefore heat) but even with the color, it still is much cooler then the Speck.

Sorry for the confusion, if there was any.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I had a Speck case for 12 months and my finish is absolutely scratch-free. The red Speck gets a TON of scratches to the point where its almost opaque. It always bothered me that the Speck ruined the design with the raised portions. I have been waiting for this for 4 months. I bought the purple Macbook for my girlfriend just to do a trial run.

Another poster inquired about the opacity of the hardcase. You can see the color of the stickers through your case no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.