Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
Just a word of caution. There is a new revision of this and it fits VERY POORLY.

I ordered one directly from Incipio and the bottom front part just below the home button bubbled up substantially. So they replaced it for me. The new one was a new revision. Here's the difference:

- Slightly different color
- Ever so slightly thicker
- Material is much softer
- The INCIPIO branding on the back is deeply chiseled in on the new one, it was more of a sandblasted one on the old one
- The fit is much, much looser and the sides do not firmly hug the phone. Instead, the whole case squishes whenever you grab it and the edges bow out.
- Old box has two stickers: "For iPhone 4" and "Compatible with iPhone 4S" while the new one only has one: "Compatible with iPhone 4S"

Just be careful. The new revision is unacceptably bad. I'm suspicious it's gone the way of the second revision of the Pixelskin HD. I would avoid the new one. Incipio has not responded to my complaint.

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My first Incipio bowed out at the sides and this was purchased over 13 months ago. The replacement was a much better fit and did not do this (again over 13 months ago).

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Just a word of caution. There is a new revision of this and it fits VERY POORLY.

I ordered one directly from Incipio and the bottom front part just below the home button bubbled up substantially. So they replaced it for me. The new one was a new revision. Here's the difference:

- Slightly different color
- Ever so slightly thicker
- Material is much softer
- The INCIPIO branding on the back is deeply chiseled in on the new one, it was more of a sandblasted one on the old one
- The fit is much, much looser and the sides do not firmly hug the phone. Instead, the whole case squishes whenever you grab it and the edges bow out.
- Old box has two stickers: "For iPhone 4" and "Compatible with iPhone 4S" while the new one only has one: "Compatible with iPhone 4S"

Just be careful. The new revision is unacceptably bad. I'm suspicious it's gone the way of the second revision of the Pixelskin HD. I would avoid the new one. Incipio has not responded to my complaint.

I bought my NGP a year ago and the logo is not sandblasted. I think yours is defective.

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
I bought my NGP a year ago and the logo is not sandblasted. I think yours is defective.

Shouldn't have said sandblasted, more like a glossy, shallowly embossed logo.

The new logo is strikingly different. They are definitely two different cases. New one is terrible. I'll try to get pics tonight.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Shouldn't have said sandblasted, more like a glossy, shallowly embossed logo.

The new logo is strikingly different. They are definitely two different cases. New one is terrible. I'll try to get pics tonight.

Yep that is my case. Glossy logo. My case fits fine. Had it for a year now.

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
So here are the differences.

1. Different shade and amount of transparency. Old on left, new on right.

colordifferences.jpg

casedifferences.jpg

2. The logos are different on the back. The old one has basically a glossy Incipio and the new one has a deeply embossed one.

logodifferences.jpg

Again, just a warning. You do not want the new version. It does not fit well at all and there is air between the phone and the case on the sides so that when you hold it, there is a bunch of play and squeeze. The old one is rock solid. The only issue with the old one, and I don't know if I just got a lemon, but I have a huge gap between the bottom part and the phone to the point you can see through it.

firstcasegap.jpg

I've shared this all with Incipio and they haven't responded yet. But, just again, if you are considering getting this case, I would definitely avoid the new revision.

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had this issue in terms of colour and sagginess at the sides. However I did not notice the different logo at the time. One of them was alot darker. Also just to let you know that my good smoke case has got alot darker with age.

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
Just received a pink NGP for the Mrs. The fit is nice and tight and it has two stickers on the front of the packaging "for the new iPhone 4" and "Also compatible with iPhone 4S".

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
i just bought the matte smoke for my white iphone 4s and a pouch for it which fits the phone with the case on

( if anyone wants the case, its by case logic, about $18 at walmart, and its made for android phones but fits perfect with the iphone 4s with the incipio case )

I have and am loving the exact same setup. FYI: if you have a Marshall's store near you, I got the Case Logic pouch for $7.99 there.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
As I said in the previous post I just got one at Walmart and really love it. Mine had a small imperfection around the upper edge of the screen but a piece of sandpaper and about 30 seconds took care of that.

The fit on my Sprint 4S is really perfect but I had to be careful when I chose it. The first Walmart I tried had the version where the mute switch was not aligned properly. I went to a second Walmart and found the version that fits the 4S perfectly. The difference is that the opening for the mute switch on mine goes down lower towards the volume buttons than the incorrectly fitting version does.

One last note; I had Lucky Labs Teksure wraps on the antenna band of my phone. With those on the NGP did not fit on the phone properly The case didn't sit correctly on the screen and the sides bowed out. I removed those wraps and the case fit perfectly. Also note that I have a Lucky Labs carbon fiber Teksure skin on the back of my phone and the case fits fine with that in place..

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
It took me 8 days to get a response back from Incipio about my bad cases. Their "legendary" warranty (obviously not customer service) guarantees a return on faulty cases. I told them I wanted to get a replacement if they could assure me I'd get the well-fitting version.

Apparently they are not manufacturing the snug fitting Incipio NGP case and only the second revision because I cannot get one. I am attempting to get a refund now.

So again, just beware of which model you're purchasing. One does not fit well at all.

cettesaphir

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011
Hey, everyone...I've been lurking for a while, but it's my first post! I have a Verizon iPhone 4 and had been waiting patiently for the Incipio NGP to come out with a version with a wider mute button opening. I finally ordered one a week or two ago, but I received the old version of the case where the mute button brushed against the opening. I emailed Incipio about it, and they said the case hadn't been updated. Obviously this was false, and I replied back and provided a link to someone's post here where they'd taken a photo of the new case they'd purchased at Walmart over a month ago. Funnily enough, a second customer service person emailed back saying good news, the case had been updated. Nice. So they sent me the new case, and it was indeed the correct/new version. Everything looked great until I noticed that the sides weren't 100% straight, and it looks like they're bowing out a tiny bit. Now, I'm a perfectionist, so I noticed this tiny bit of bowing right away even though I'm sure it's unnoticeable to others.

I don't know if I want to return the case or not because except for the bowing and the fact that it's a little more slippery than I'd like, it's a great case.

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Thats weird. I just got my ngp case for the 4/4s off their website and it fits just fine. The flash cutout has the black outline so I know it has been updated (that and the box said 4s). Aside from a few injection mold marks, the case is very nice!!

Although the mercury matte gray is a strange color, i thought it would be more grey, but the way light hits it gives it a brownish look, almost muddy.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
In October, I ordered two NGP cases (Translucent Gray and Translucent Pink) and both had the old mute button cutouts.

I contacted Incipio support by phone on 10/21/2011 and was told that they would send complimentary replacement cases with correct cutouts once they are available, and was given a timeframe of one month.

On 11/14/2011 I sent a follow-up email and received a response the following day saying the new colors still weren't available.

On 12/02/2011 I sent another follow-up email to inquire about the status. I received a response today, 12/06/2011, indicating that the cases still aren't available. It has now been 46 days since I first contacted Incipio for the replacements.

Last edited:

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I have one of these with the old mute cutout I need to sell. PM me if interested. Used twice, looking for $10 shipped

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
In October, I ordered two NGP cases (Translucent Gray and Translucent Pink) and both had the old mute button cutouts.

I contacted Incipio support by phone on 10/21/2011 and was told that they would send complimentary replacement cases with correct cutouts once they are available, and was given a timeframe of one month.

On 11/14/2011 I sent a follow-up email and received a response the following day saying the new colors still weren't available.

On 12/02/2011 I sent another follow-up email to inquire about the status. I received a response today, 12/06/2011, indicating that the cases still aren't available. It has now been 46 days since I first contacted Incipio for the replacements.

yikes, ordered mine directly from them. No problem with mute cutout or anything. Weird

avsfan

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
I've shared this all with Incipio and they haven't responded yet. But, just again, if you are considering getting this case, I would definitely avoid the new revision.

Just received 2 new cases from the Cyber Monday deal: one is clearly an iPhone 4 case as it is missing the cutout - which is fine as it's for an iPhone 4 (gsm) anyhow; it fits like a glove.

The second is for my 4s - and is the newer design with the larger cutout for the ringer on/off switch. I agree that the fit isn't nearly as good - though I have a different issue in that it was made a bit too small. I really had to ram the phone into the case. The back appears to be ever so slightly thinner than the front such that with the phone in, the edges actually appear to be slightly beveled (e.g. lay it on it's side and it won't be perfectly straight up and down). That being said, no bowing whatsoever - not one of those things I'm going to waste my time on getting a replacement for as I may end up getting one of the looser fitting ones which would be worse.

Both cases are definitely made of a softer material. Previous to this order, my 4 had one of the original NGP cases - with the camera cutout on back having more of a teardrop shape vs. the oval which is now standard.

It would appear the NGP has undergone at least 3 revisions since the 4 was released.

All this being said, fantastic case which I would recommend to anyone. I really like the included screen protectors too. On that note, if I could recommend one thing to everyone putting these on: do so in a steamed washroom. Just turn on the shower hot for 5 minutes until the windows fog up, turn off then proceed to clean the phone and apply the protector. By doing this you eliminate substantially more dust floating around and it's a snap to re-position the protector multiple times until you get it right. Both of my protectors are on with 0 bubbles and work perfect with the case. The protector on the 4 with the old NGP case survived an entire year with not a single problem, or even any scratches! (and that's with jean pocket use)

avsfan

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
That being said, no bowing whatsoever - not one of those things I'm going to waste my time on getting a replacement for as I may end up getting one of the looser fitting ones which would be worse.

Update: due to the tighter fitting nature of the new case, the screen protector is now starting to bubble along the edges. As a test, I put on my old case and voila - problem solved. Plan to call Incipio to see what they can do as this new case certainly appears to have some manufacturing issues. At this point I'd be more interested in the older design but with the oval camera cutout - can easily dremel the extra few mm for the ringer on/off button.

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
I have read this entire thread and I decided to pick one up since I had to swing by Walmart for some site to store Christmas gifts. We'll see how it stacks up to my otterbox reflex.

I know one thing I'm already gonna like is that it will show off the apple on the back. :D

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I got this case from Amazon, and my 4S fits well in it. It's snug without being too tight. There is no gap between the bottom of the case and the iPhone, like what was shown in the picture above. The package has the sticker "Also compatible with iPhone 4S" so this is probably be the new revision.

I kind of like it. It feels nice. Not too grippy. And the translucent look is good. However, after using it for a few days, I miss the less-bulky look and feel on the Griffin Reveal Clear that I've been using since the launch of the 4S. The NGP has a thicker frame around the front, which makes the whole package look thicker. Maybe I'll get used to it.

therealjustin

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
I just bought this case and I'm waiting for the PhantomSkinz front and back skins to arrive. Will this case fit with those two skins on the phone? Or should I get a silicone case since it would flex more allowing for the extra thickness?

Dedee

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
I'm trying to decide between this and the ballistic lifestyle. I mean the lifestyle is bulkier and offers a lot of drop protection, but how much drop protection does this case provide? Do you think if I would drop it while walking it would crack? Overall, which of these two cases would you guys take?

Thanks in advance

dsquared81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Orange County
I just bought this case and I'm waiting for the PhantomSkinz front and back skins to arrive. Will this case fit with those two skins on the phone? Or should I get a silicone case since it would flex more allowing for the extra thickness?

I have front and back powersupport shields and when i had this case it fit perfectly. No need to worry about it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.