Incremental upgrade to the iPhone. This is supposed to kill the Pre and webOS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Palm Pimp, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Palm Pimp macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

http://live.gizmodo.com/

No multitasking. No offscreen gestures. No haptic virtual keyboard or hardware keyboard. no new ports.

Basically it's the same incremental upgrade as seen from the 1G to 2G touch. At least the autofill is cool.

2. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Why would I want a physical keyboard?

The moment they release an iPhone with that, I will switch to a different phone.

And why no mention of Video, Compass or Voice Control?

3. Palm Pimp thread starter macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

I'm saying that while 3.0 beta has nice features, most of it is stuff that other phones have been doing for years now, much less go up against the Palm Pre's advanced webOS. A lot of folks said to wait for this conference to see AMAZING STUFF.

And it's pretty much the same thing as before. They added a couple more megapixels on a cell phone camera, wow zow

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Stick with your palm pre then pimp and get off the iphone section..........

5. Palm Pimp thread starter macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

I also said no haptic feedback v keyboard. Same crap as before/

Cause who cares? It's all stuff most phones can do already, much less the Pre. Are you gonna boast about Autofill or Copy and Paste next?

6. darkflounder macrumors regular

darkflounder

I've used my girlfriend's Blackberry Storm. Holy crap is that clicking screen keyboard annoying.

I love my iPhone 3G, and it's one of the few tech purchases I've made that I've never regretted.

Now, the big question is, will Voice Control be available on the 3G?

7. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

How about Copy and Paste that is more functional than that on the Pre?

8. darkflounder macrumors regular

darkflounder

No, we're gonna boast about that fact that our phone is actually usable.

9. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

No, I am going to boast about how I am NOT over at the Pre forum being a TROLL like you are here.

Now go make a call and surf the web on your precious Palm that sold 1/10th of the units the iPhone did at Launch.

Oh wait, you can't.

Maybe you can do a search in your email and calendars for some text.

Oh wait, I forgot, you CAN'T.

Maybe you can go download some cool games for the Pre to fill your time instead of being a TROLL here.

Oh wait, I forgot, you CAN'T.

Well no wonder you have time to troll here.

Your phone is a POS....

10. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Oh no, you got us. What ever should we do. >_>

11. Que macrumors 6502

who cares about the pre?

it's a testament to the iphone that a palm fanboy is here slagging off the iphone and not touching himself over his plastic pre :D

12. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

The Pre is a turd, a little stinking turd at that even has round edges like a turd, go browse the 18 apps.

13. Palm Pimp thread starter macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

Yeah I hear you that thing is terrible. I remember walking into the store thinking it was haptic feedback and then I realised the whole screen depressed down.

Imagine if your keyboard was one plastic block that depressed in one when you press a letter. Worst screen ever.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I can feel my fingers touch glass and the iPhone always registers the touch correctly.

Haptic is for touchscreens that suck.

15. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

iphone arrived with no appstore

16. Palm Pimp thread starter macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

First of all, you're wrong, but do you really want to to have a battle over Copy and Paste? Really? After all these years?

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

at least its nice to see apple going low price route. Its good for customers for sure. If they still want an iPhone 1G and 2G

18. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

OUCH! :D

19. Palm Pimp thread starter macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

Just like when the iPhone came out with barely any apps, hell they were blocking the jailbroken apps on firmware 1.1.4 cause it would "drain the battery" (sound like a familiar excuse?). It took months until Apple realised the apps/ games/ ebooks would be a good thing. So it's not even something Apple pioneered until they realised they could make money off it.

Palm is not going to be that restrictive.There won't be 50000 apps in total to match the Appstore by Christmas, but there will a bunch of GOOD apps that will rival the Appstore by Christmas/ Spring 2010.

20. illitrate23 macrumors 6502a

illitrate23

apple don't have to put any of that stuff in to kill the Pre - Palm's appalling apps store and complete lack of apps available to download are doing that all by themselves

21. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Your point? You can't be an iPhone Killer if all you're doing is keeping up to them (and doing a poor job at that).

If someone wants to really kill the iPhone they will actually have to come up with something revolutionary, not merely something "as good as" or "like" as long as its compared to the iPhone it's a fail.

The 3G came with the app store, and how long has Apple been in the phone business? Hmmm.

22. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

The Pre has come far too late to the game, and hasn't come into it NEARLY forcefully enough.

To make a dent in iPhone's market share, it would have needed to be pretty much PERFECT at launch, such is the current power of the iPhone's brand identity.

And incase you hadn't noticed - it's far from perfect.

It'll do well, for a Palm phone, but it's not an "iPhone killer"... or even THAT much of a rival.

23. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Um, if you spent more time on your own forum here instead of TROLLING HERE, you would know what the Poster is talking about.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/182854-copy-paste-you-kidding-me.html

Pre copy and paste is a joke.

As is all the other stuff I listed that you are ignoring.

24. Palm Pimp thread starter macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

Boss I could do the same thing to the iPhone.

I could ask you to start typing an email in Safari, go to Notes to read something and put it the em... oh wait you'd have to start all over. Wait a minute, if you open more than 3 Safari pages the inactive ones go blank. Meanwhile the Pre has multitasking across all apps.

How about asking your friends not to message or call you for an hour cause you don't want the message to bump you out of your application?

Is this something you really want to start? webOS 1.0 blows firmware 3.0 to smithereens, so imagine updates months from now. Palm has a better ethic when it comes to updates than Apple and you know this.

25. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

As much as I like the pre, i'm thinking you're acting a bit fan boyish. You have to remember that majority of iPhone users are stuck in contracts which is why this new iPhone had to be evolutionary...and with that Apple did a good job the phone has comparable specs to all phones out there (even with 3mp cam)

Apple also updated the most important component...software and provided developers with more tools/access which means better/diverse apps which = $$$

Granted stuff like multitasking is still MIA buy let's face it, majority of consumers only do one thing at a time on their phones. So whilst it'll be a nice feature it is not a deal breaker for many. Things that were such as video recording, mms etc have mostly been addressed. Also the soft keyboard is very much comparable to hard keyboards out there given the spacing of keys, auto correction etc. It's why I can type this whole post without a sweat

The pre and the iPhone are both great devices and provide choice for consumers. If you don't like one get the other. That's all there is to it