Initial Vibration When Plugged In

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
When I plug the iPhone in at night to charge it:

1) If on Silent, it vibrates

2) If not on Silent, it beeps

Question - how can I stop both and just plug it in to charge without any alert?

The only way I can think of is to plug headphones in, then stick the charger in when not on Silent. What a faff.

Either way wakes my partner up, and she gives me **** every night. I politely request you focus on a solution instead of a smart alec response, or raging that I should move to Android instead etc etc :D

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
Go into settings>sounds>vibrate on silent>slide off

That should solve your problem.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
RE: Thread Title

BTW, you should be able to go into settings and turn off vibration, but this will affect all alerts that would use it.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
Nope. That doesn't do it.
Then put your earbuds in when the sound is on so she doesn't hear it. There is no other way to avoid the sound or vibration from stopping (unless there is some jailbreak app available).

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
He already called that "solution" a "faff" in his OP.
Yes because plugging and unplugging headphones every night is practically louder than the vibration.

It seems a bit ridiculous that Apple doesn't include an option to just let the thing charge without alerts. I've had iPhones for over 4 years, and this is a massive bugbear.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Yes because plugging and unplugging headphones every night is practically louder than the vibration.

It seems a bit ridiculous that Apple doesn't include an option to just let the thing charge without alerts. I've had iPhones for over 4 years, and this is a massive bugbear.

The only reason I understand your British-English is because of Gavin @ RoosterTeeth. Thanks, Gav.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
There isn't any other choice, if he insists on charging it next to the bed.

My recommendation would be to move the charger to a different room and charge it there.

But not really sure why a small, 1/2 second vibration should be so loud as to cause a problem in the first place. Are you placing it onto something metal, and then plugging it in? Can you hold it in your hand, plug it in, so your hand absorbs the vibration, and then set it down? I do this every night. It's not loud at all.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Wow, she is a very light sleeper. I'd leave it on vibrate, and stick it under the pillow for a moment (that's a serious comment).

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I leave the sound on but turn the ringer down all then way and then cover the speaker with my thumb tightly.

Give it a try, it's not that loud once it's turned down, your thumb should be able to block that last little bit.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
New Mexico
I vote ditch the $^$@# if she is going to complain over that..

Or just man up and tell her to get over it, it's going to happen..

Or better yet, sleep in different rooms.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
There isn't any other choice, if he insists on charging it next to the bed.

My recommendation would be to move the charger to a different room and charge it there.

But not really sure why a small, 1/2 second vibration should be so loud as to cause a problem in the first place. Are you placing it onto something metal, and then plugging it in? Can you hold it in your hand, plug it in, so your hand absorbs the vibration, and then set it down? I do this every night. It's not loud at all.
She is a light sleeper, and it's not the end of the world (although she occasionally moans) - but the point stands: why on earth must there be any kind of alert at all?

----------

Wow, she is a very light sleeper. I'd leave it on vibrate, and stick it under the pillow for a moment (that's a serious comment).
Yeah she is a very very light sleeper, although she dozes off straight away!

----------

I leave the sound on but turn the ringer down all then way and then cover the speaker with my thumb tightly.

Give it a try, it's not that loud once it's turned down, your thumb should be able to block that last little bit.
I think your idea is the best, thank you.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
why on earth must there be any kind of alert at all?

The alert itself makes sense as gadget makers as a whole want to be able to give all users feedback to let them know battery charging has begun so they don't wake up with a dead gadget causing all sorts of inconveniences. And of course they do not want to exclude visual/hearing impaired individuals. As to why the alerts cannot be turned off altogether, not really sure. Although I can say that I have never heard of anyone wanting to do this. Maybe Apple hasn't run across it either. Maybe your comment will help get this changed.

tymaster50

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2012
New Jersey
that small vibrate wakes her up? damn. well you could just put it on ringer, turn the volume down as far as it can go, then after you plug it in put it on do not disturb.
other than that tell her to get over it.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
She is a light sleeper, and it's not the end of the world (although she occasionally moans) - but the point stands: why on earth must there be any kind of alert at all?

----------

Yeah she is a very very light sleeper, although she dozes off straight away!

Ok, I just have to ask this. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but isn't the act of you pulling back the covers, crawling into bed, and then covering up after she's already asleep more of a disturbance to her if she's that light of a sleeper, vs a tiny little vibration from a phone? Are you sure it's the phone that's reason you are getting **** every night? I find it very hard to believe that if you could silence the slight vibration, your problem would be solved.

Just making a general observation...

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Ok, I just have to ask this. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but isn't the act of you pulling back the covers, crawling into bed, and then covering up after she's already asleep more of a disturbance to her if she's that light of a sleeper, vs a tiny little vibration from a phone? Are you sure it's the phone that's reason you are getting **** every night? I find it very hard to believe that if you could silence the slight vibration, your problem would be solved.

Just making a general observation...
I too wonder this. Wouldn't the movement/noise caused by you getting into bed and moving the covers be louder than the tiny vibration emitted from the iPhone when you plug it in to charge?

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
If you have access to the file system (I've only done it on jailbroken phones), navigate to UISounds and rename the "beep-beep.caf" file to anything else, I found just calling it OLDbeep-beep worked well.

I'm sure someone posted a link to a program that allowed exploring the file system without jailbreaking

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I charge my iPhone in an old iPod dock that has audio out on it - when I put it in the dock it's completely silent because the audio is transferred to the output of the dock

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.