Initial Vibration When Plugged In

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JaySoul, Oct 11, 2012.

1. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

When I plug the iPhone in at night to charge it:

1) If on Silent, it vibrates

2) If not on Silent, it beeps

Question - how can I stop both and just plug it in to charge without any alert?

The only way I can think of is to plug headphones in, then stick the charger in when not on Silent. What a faff.

Either way wakes my partner up, and she gives me **** every night. I politely request you focus on a solution instead of a smart alec response, or raging that I should move to Android instead etc etc :D

2. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Go into settings>sounds>vibrate on silent>slide off

That should solve your problem.

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

RE: Thread Title

[​IMG]

BTW, you should be able to go into settings and turn off vibration, but this will affect all alerts that would use it.

4. JaySoul thread starter macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Nope. That doesn't do it.

5. nburwell, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Then put your earbuds in when the sound is on so she doesn't hear it. There is no other way to avoid the sound or vibration from stopping (unless there is some jailbreak app available).

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

He already called that "solution" a "faff" in his OP.

7. JaySoul thread starter macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Yes because plugging and unplugging headphones every night is practically louder than the vibration.

It seems a bit ridiculous that Apple doesn't include an option to just let the thing charge without alerts. I've had iPhones for over 4 years, and this is a massive bugbear.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The only reason I understand your British-English is because of Gavin @ RoosterTeeth. Thanks, Gav.

9. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

There isn't any other choice, if he insists on charging it next to the bed.

My recommendation would be to move the charger to a different room and charge it there.

But not really sure why a small, 1/2 second vibration should be so loud as to cause a problem in the first place. Are you placing it onto something metal, and then plugging it in? Can you hold it in your hand, plug it in, so your hand absorbs the vibration, and then set it down? I do this every night. It's not loud at all.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wow, she is a very light sleeper. I'd leave it on vibrate, and stick it under the pillow for a moment (that's a serious comment).

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I leave the sound on but turn the ringer down all then way and then cover the speaker with my thumb tightly.

Give it a try, it's not that loud once it's turned down, your thumb should be able to block that last little bit.

12. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

When she wakes up, does she have that look of fear that implies you've found her secret stash of "Girl Toys"?

13. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I vote ditch the $^$@# if she is going to complain over that..

Or just man up and tell her to get over it, it's going to happen..

Or better yet, sleep in different rooms.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Have either of you ever actually seen or talked to a woman?

15. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Yeah I even married one.... problem is that I saw and talked to too many others, hence I'm divorced now :)

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yes, your charming personality clearly had nothing to do with it.

17. JaySoul thread starter macrumors 68020

JaySoul

She is a light sleeper, and it's not the end of the world (although she occasionally moans) - but the point stands: why on earth must there be any kind of alert at all?

----------

Yeah she is a very very light sleeper, although she dozes off straight away!

----------

I think your idea is the best, thank you.

18. DJinTX macrumors 6502

The alert itself makes sense as gadget makers as a whole want to be able to give all users feedback to let them know battery charging has begun so they don't wake up with a dead gadget causing all sorts of inconveniences. And of course they do not want to exclude visual/hearing impaired individuals. As to why the alerts cannot be turned off altogether, not really sure. Although I can say that I have never heard of anyone wanting to do this. Maybe Apple hasn't run across it either. Maybe your comment will help get this changed.

19. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

that small vibrate wakes her up? damn. well you could just put it on ringer, turn the volume down as far as it can go, then after you plug it in put it on do not disturb.
    other than that tell her to get over it.

20. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

21. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

if your device is jailbreakable.. there is a tweak that removes the vibe/sound when plugged in

22. SR71 macrumors 68000

I too wonder this. Wouldn't the movement/noise caused by you getting into bed and moving the covers be louder than the tiny vibration emitted from the iPhone when you plug it in to charge?

23. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

If you have access to the file system (I've only done it on jailbroken phones), navigate to UISounds and rename the "beep-beep.caf" file to anything else, I found just calling it OLDbeep-beep worked well.

I'm sure someone posted a link to a program that allowed exploring the file system without jailbreaking

24. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I charge my iPhone in an old iPod dock that has audio out on it - when I put it in the dock it's completely silent because the audio is transferred to the output of the dock