Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which model iPhone do you have?

• Standard model

• Plus model

Results are only viewable after voting.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
So, if the rumors are true about the iPhone 8, iPhone Edition, iPhone Pro, whatever it's called..
we'll be paying at least $1000 for our next iPhone. Sure, you can pay less for the standard model but it doesn't come with the amazing dual lens. That dual lens is EVERYTHING and it can only be found on the current plus model iPhone.

Here's the problem; that plus model is too big for some of us. I had a plus model two years ago and it was too big for my hands, even with the double-tap to bring the screen down option. It's a mystery as to why the standard model doesn't have the dual lens and the next standard model won't either.

So, what's the point of my post? I currently am on the Sprint iPhone forever plan, which lets me trade my phone in every year for the newest model. Good deal. I'm worried though, because if the current lease plans for iPhones with Sprint and most other carriers is:

32GB - $18mo | 128GB - $27mo | 256GB - $27mo

how much more will the monthly payment be with an iPhone starting at $1000?!

This means most of us will pay $100 for the monthly bill with a $40 a month lease price added on. Are we really in the days of phone bills in the car payment price range? Sheesh! I mean, who can afford these prices? It's pretty disappointing to know that the two options we have to get the dual lens will be the plus model (which it too big for a lot of us), and the middle-sized iPhone 8 with a $1k price tag.

I know, Apple hasn't announced anything yet but the wall street journal has been correct since the iPhone first released and that ridiculously priced iPhone 8 looks amazing!

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
Are we really in the days of phone bills in the car payment price range?
Easily.... Of course, I guess it depends on the type of car though. Our wireless bill is higher than our (used) car loan payment. We have (4) lines, all smartphones.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Really? This is incredible. No wonder other countries laugh at us here in the USA. I mean, $140 a month for a phone bill?! What regular person can afford that along with rent prices? Oy!

Reactions: apolloa

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Really? This is incredible. No wonder other countries laugh at us here in the USA. I mean, $140 a month for a phone bill?! What regular person can afford that along with rent prices? Oy!
I setup an AT&T Mobile Share plan with 4 friends/family. Each person pays about $45 for service (unlimited), and then whatever their phone costs. There are ways to make things cheaper...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
This means most of us will pay $100 for the monthly bill with a $40 a month lease price added on. Are we really in the days of phone bills in the car payment price range?

I wanna know what kind of car you are only paying $140 a month for... ;)

But yeah... flagship smartphones are expensive. And plans too... especially from the major carriers.

Your best bet is to stick to the cheaper carriers (like Sprint) or go with an even cheaper MVNO.

Also... there's really not much difference between spending $27 a month for a phone or $40 for a phone. If you're bothered by an extra $13/month... you might wanna re-evaluate your monthly budget.

You don't HAVE to choose the $1,000 iPhone either. I'm sure there will be a new modern iPhone starting at the normal price of $649 this year.

The cheaper iPhone might not have the dual cameras... but that's the price you pay.

I'm, personally, not bothered by high iPhone pricing. It's the one device I literally use every hour of every day. And I like iOS and iPhones in general.

If you're comfortable with Android... you can get the OnePlus 5 for $500. It has dual cameras. It's still a fairly large phone though.

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
My last car payment was in the $400 neighborhood (new).
To me, a phone is a phone. I have invested in the ecosystem now for 10 years.
For the last almost three years, my wife finally have to give up her LG Flip and she went with the 5s. She does very little heavy lifting with, but her position at work lately made her rely on more texting, so our usage went way up on that. I had from the beginning an unlimited plan on my 5s, but decided to reevaluate my plan based on that I was going to an SE and the wife's additional text, which we rarely used before.
Our bill was running about $150, which for two phones, to me, wasn't that bad. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan on my iPad Air2, so I thought since I used that as my main consumption device, it was time to look at my current phone plan.
It appeared that I never used more than 3gb a month on my 5s.
By taking off the unlimited, going to a shared 6GB plan with unlimited text, including my SE payment, went down to $101.
So taking out the $13 for the SE, I'm now down to $88 a month for both phones. For me, it was a no brainer.
I don't care about the extra camera stuff as I prefer DSLR, 3D Touch to me is meh and I do not like the larger form factor phones.

I think the bottom line is to establish, truly, what your needs are, compared to a budget you can afford. There may be some compromises along the way. I'm in semi-retirement, so saving $600 a year is a good thing. As Aristobrat stated 'There are ways to make things cheaper...'

Reactions: SRLMJ23

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Although Apple's flagship prices are increasing, I believe there will be a plethora of finance opportunities and promotions. The IUP program, T-Mobile's EIP, and trade in deals minimize possible MSRP lump sum payments. I did know that people could get an entry level 7+ for "free" via EIP on T-Mobile during Black Friday.

puggles

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
My iPhone 7+ 256 GB with apple care+ was around $1100 and I pay $45 a month. $50/ month for a phone would probably be my limit.

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
If it costs that much then I can happily live without it, thanks. I'll just buy an older model, nobody really cares what phone you've got these days and I do the same tasks regardless of phone model. Marketing at its best I say.

I agree with you yea I would love the iPhone 8 or edition but not at the price I got a 6S plus now does everything I need it to do. I'm always a year or 2 behind. I'm 1 of the few probably that would go for an 7S plus if price is same as last year for faster processor if not I might just get a 7 plus on the cheap there going for like 600-700 but after new phone drops get it around 500.00 maybe on swappa or wherever

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My iPhone 7+ 256 GB with apple care+ was around $1100 and I pay $45 a month. $50/ month for a phone would probably be my limit.
Amortized, that's around my limit, too, inclusive of fees and taxes. Or really, ~$1200 cash. That's if I find the features worth paying the extra cost.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
So, if the rumors are true about the iPhone 8, iPhone Edition, iPhone Pro, whatever it's called..
we'll be paying at least $1000 for our next iPhone. Sure, you can pay less for the standard model but it doesn't come with the amazing dual lens. That dual lens is EVERYTHING and it can only be found on the current plus model iPhone.

Here's the problem; that plus model is too big for some of us. I had a plus model two years ago and it was too big for my hands, even with the double-tap to bring the screen down option. It's a mystery as to why the standard model doesn't have the dual lens and the next standard model won't either.

So, what's the point of my post? I currently am on the Sprint iPhone forever plan, which lets me trade my phone in every year for the newest model. Good deal. I'm worried though, because if the current lease plans for iPhones with Sprint and most other carriers is:

32GB - $18mo | 128GB - $27mo | 256GB - $27mo

how much more will the monthly payment be with an iPhone starting at $1000?!

This means most of us will pay $100 for the monthly bill with a $40 a month lease price added on. Are we really in the days of phone bills in the car payment price range? Sheesh! I mean, who can afford these prices? It's pretty disappointing to know that the two options we have to get the dual lens will be the plus model (which it too big for a lot of us), and the middle-sized iPhone 8 with a $1k price tag.

I know, Apple hasn't announced anything yet but the wall street journal has been correct since the iPhone first released and that ridiculously priced iPhone 8 looks amazing!

if you have to "lease" a phone you should not own one.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you don't want to pay to get the new iPhone, (because it is too much) keep the phone you have, or get a different iPhone. Problem solved. No need to make things more complicated than they really are.
[doublepost=1501020151][/doublepost]
if you have to "lease" a phone you should not own one.
Ignorant statement.

In some instances, it is financially beneficial to lease, even if one has the money to buy.

Before I moved to Verizon, I had an iPhone 6 from Sprint and I leased it for 10 months. My lease was $5.00 a month. I could have purchased the phone. However, I couldn't have bought it at that price. Sometimes, it is more sensible (for some people) to take advantage of carrier deals.

Every situation is different.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I'll be passing on it so it's irrevelant to me what the price is. I would not pay that much to start with anyway. Leasing is a strange concept to me for a phone. It would seem the payments would never stop as the user would just keep renewing and getting the next latest and greatest. Providers are surely loving the leasers. I stopped buying into all the "gotta have the latest new thing" hype sometime ago. Easier on the wallet and totally unnecessary imo. $1000+ cost, plus Apple care for those who need or want it and now it's like a $40/$50+ extra on top of your monthly service bill. Kinda crazy. But "Rock On".

KadMac

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009
I'll be passing on it so it's irrevelant to me what the price is. I would not pay that much to start with anyway. Leasing is a strange concept to me for a phone. It would seem the payments would never stop as the user would just keep renewing and getting the next latest and greatest. Providers are surely loving the leasers. I stopped buying into all the "gotta have the latest new thing" hype sometime ago. Easier on the wallet and totally unnecessary imo. $1000+ cost, plus Apple care for those who need or want it and now it's like a $40/$50+ extra on top of your monthly service bill. Kinda crazy. But "Rock On".

I am with you there. I just checked how much I still owe on my iPhone 7 Plus 128GB and its around $575. Kinda depressing to be honest. I won't be getting the new iphone and I am already second guessing the monthly payments on my existing phone. Its just so expensive. I am considering getting a cheaper phone and selling my iPhone 7 Plus to get rid of the cost. I might get an iPhone 6S used or maybe an Android phone. Its just getting too costly.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I am with you there. I just checked how much I still owe on my iPhone 7 Plus 128GB and its around $575. Kinda depressing to be honest. I won't be getting the new iphone and I am already second guessing the monthly payments on my existing phone. Its just so expensive. I am considering getting a cheaper phone and selling my iPhone 7 Plus to get rid of the cost. I might get an iPhone 6S used or maybe an Android phone. Its just getting too costly.
I'm as guilty as anyone to want the newest and love that "new phone smell". I always take a step back these days and it gives me a chance to realize that the newness factor does wear off and rather quickly. But those payments go on for 2 years. Realizing that I can be quite content with a year or so older phone that basically works just fine for me I just "stand pat".
I traded a used iphone 6 in to Verizon several months ago for a straight across trade for a new iphone7. This did lock me in for 2 years but no extra cash as long as I didnt leave which I had no intention of doing. So a win/win for me. Maybe in another year or so they will offer the same deal on the new iphone 8. I'm done with yearly upgrades when my year old tech still works like new. The lame new innovations aren't worth the high prices IMHO. There are deals to be had but excersizing some self control is a must when a new release comes out. Save your money and pay cash next time. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.