Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which model iPhone do you have?

• Standard model

• Plus model

Results are only viewable after voting.

bobiixx

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2017
Here in Serbia, it is best to buy on two year contract. Vip Mobile network sell iPhone and other flagship phones simfree so it beneficial when going abroad on weekends or summer holiday in any other country, so I use croatian prepaid sim card for internet (6GB LTE for 7.5 euros (in whole EU), so because it is prepaid I'm using this offer only when i'm going out 4-5 times in year).

I bought iPhone 7 in late october for 480 euros on 24 monthly installments and in my postpaid I have 700 minutes for all networks (its not like in US if i'm calling somebody that somebody is charged too) 700sms and 2.8GB of data and that is 18 euros. Two year warranty because it is EU law. When you are buying without contract for base model it is about 850 euros (iPhone 7 32GB)

So 38 euros monthly for two years, after that if I want to sold it after two years I get about 300 euros (It was that price for iPhone 6 after 7 was launched).

iPhone 8 or X or whatever name will be I'm gonna skip (mostly because i think FP wouldn't be under screen) and next year they will implement all that to be as good as it needs to be.

Sorry but this is utter garbage.
The network you speak of sells iPhones locked down, their customer service is appalling and, on top of it all, warranty means ****. Hell, Serbia doesn't even have one single official Apple store NOR AppStore in its true sense.
Everybody has to make fake US accounts and nearly 95% of Serbian iPhone users never buy any app simply cos it's too tech savvy. Yes, you can find loopholes, but no one bothers to cos no one wants to pay for anything related to legal Operating Systems.

On the flipside, you can find smuggled, sealed iPhones (as well as any other Apple product, really) for quite reasonable prices. The base model goes for 600e and you can even come across 7+ 256gb for 750e.

Gotta do what you gotta do, eh.
[doublepost=1501268328][/doublepost]
This not the case in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Portugal, Luxembourg, Greece and all scandinavian countries included.

Samsung is significantly cheaper here and offers more features (I'm addicted to IOS :p ). Dunno about the U.K. tough, their economy is so messed up that £ almost equals $ regarding product prices....
Eventough the S8 is cheaper here, I have to mention that the IPhone 7 prices should be compared to Galaxy S7 when it comes to feutures. For now, the S8 is just waaaaaaay to fancy to consider a comparison to any iPhone, but hopefully this will change in September.

I mean, not trying to play the devil's advocate here, but this is just flawed logic.

No one compares Galaxy S7 to iPhone 7. It's really not about the specs; people are just comparing flagships.
I do agree that the field will even out come September, though. Cheers

Last edited:

TAZ911

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
The best thing to do is if the price is crazy is to not buy. It's as simple as that. Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Billy-Joe-Bob will charge as much as people are willing to pay. If people stop amortizing cell phones for 24-30 months and makers profits drop they will make an adjustment, either drop the price, offer more tiers of available models...

Right now there are too many people willing, stupid, vain, financially inept... whatever you want to call it paying these prices for the market to establish a ceiling.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Sorry but this is utter garbage.
The network you speak of sells iPhones locked down, their customer service is appalling and, on top of it all, warranty means ****. Hell, Serbia doesn't even have one single official Apple store NOR AppStore in its true sense.
Everybody has to make fake US accounts and nearly 95% of Serbian iPhone users never buy any app simply cos it's too tech savvy. Yes, you can find loopholes, but no one bothers to cos no one wants to pay for anything related to legal Operating Systems.

On the flipside, you can find smuggled, sealed iPhones (as well as any other Apple product, really) for quite reasonable prices. The base model goes for 600e and you can even come across 7+ 256gb for 750e.
Well many people bought in Vip mobile and every phone is simfree, so don't know what are you talking about. Customer service is as good as other two operator has.

So if country does not have Apple Store it is what? Hungary, Austria doesn't have Apple Stores too, so what?

We have two official resellers and Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) Macola ( http://www.macola.rs ) and iStyle (http://www.istyle.eu/rs/). You can create Croatian account and merge with Serbian credit card or you can make US account and buy gift cards which I'm doing.

I'm not talking about buying products on black market, I'm speaking on buying regular price or subsidised through carrier with two year warranty.

Don't know what are you talking and why are you so angry but, okay your problem.

Reactions: dontworry

bobiixx

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2017
Right. iPhones, as well as other high-end smartphones, have been a social status of sorts for quite some time now.
As long as people (not just us here, obviously) continue to buy them, these "conglomerates" will keep pushing them.

Otherwise we would be in a Vertu kind of situation all over again/jk

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Android flagships are often priced similarly to the iPhone initially, but usually within 2 months they reduce significantly on contract whereas the iPhone holds a high price for pretty much 11 months until the next version is out. It's frustrating but as others say, if it's popular then Apple are not going to offer it any less.

bobiixx

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2017
Well many people bought in Vip mobile and every phone is simfree, so don't know what are you talking about. Customer service is as good as other two operator has.

So if country does not have Apple Store it is what? Hungary, Austria doesn't have Apple Stores too, so what?

We have two official resellers and Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) Macola ( http://www.macola.rs ) and iStyle (http://www.istyle.eu/rs/). You can create Croatian account and merge with Serbian credit card or you can make US account and buy gift cards which I'm doing.

I'm not talking about buying products on black market, I'm speaking on buying regular price or subsidised through carrier with two year warranty.

Don't know what are you talking and why are you so angry but, okay your problem.

Many people ≠ the best option.
I'm sorry for jumping into conclusion that all three carriers were selling locked phones, it appears to be the case with the other two.
Honestly, Serbia's "official resellers" and those links you posted are crap compared to what other countries offer.
After all, I assume we don't disagree on the fact that most people here are using iPhone cos it fits their home ecosystems, macs, iPads etc. Other big reason is Apple's Customer Service. None of which Serbia has - I honestly cannot even think of ten Serbs who are deeply integrated into Apple's ecosystem. Again, making fake US accounts and using Gift cards is a hassle. It simply isn't something an average Joe would do, whereas average Milos has to if he wants to get good apps/buy music etc. Needless to say, Milos cannot even use ApplePay nor NFC in its true sense. He doesn't use Siri other than as a novelty feature, he'd never be able to get Apple care. So, what is he essentially paying for? Surely not for the "full Apple experience".
Mr. Joe just wants to use his iPhone.
Mr. Milos, in 99% cases, just wants to flaunt his iPhone, putting it nicely on the table in a cafe.

And I'm sorry if I came across as rude; just wanted to give my 2c on a position of iPhone in a third world country, which appears to be something many posters here are disregarding while talking about the price, bang for the buck and, as per usual, US & US only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Don't know why are you so negative, but okay that's your view. People choose to buy what they want with their money.

Problem is Apple. You can buy here legally Apple products, but they don't want to make things easier. Google made it, so if they made it for me to buy apps and other software stuff, Apple should do it too.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
So, if the rumors are true about the iPhone 8, iPhone Edition, iPhone Pro, whatever it's called..
we'll be paying at least $1000 for our next iPhone. Sure, you can pay less for the standard model but it doesn't come with the amazing dual lens. That dual lens is EVERYTHING and it can only be found on the current plus model iPhone.

Here's the problem; that plus model is too big for some of us. I had a plus model two years ago and it was too big for my hands, even with the double-tap to bring the screen down option. It's a mystery as to why the standard model doesn't have the dual lens and the next standard model won't either.

So, what's the point of my post? I currently am on the Sprint iPhone forever plan, which lets me trade my phone in every year for the newest model. Good deal. I'm worried though, because if the current lease plans for iPhones with Sprint and most other carriers is:

32GB - $18mo | 128GB - $27mo | 256GB - $27mo

how much more will the monthly payment be with an iPhone starting at $1000?!

This means most of us will pay $100 for the monthly bill with a $40 a month lease price added on. Are we really in the days of phone bills in the car payment price range? Sheesh! I mean, who can afford these prices? It's pretty disappointing to know that the two options we have to get the dual lens will be the plus model (which it too big for a lot of us), and the middle-sized iPhone 8 with a $1k price tag.

I know, Apple hasn't announced anything yet but the wall street journal has been correct since the iPhone first released and that ridiculously priced iPhone 8 looks amazing!

I thought So Too people on iPhone Forver Plans and IUP IPhone Upgrade Program through Apple. To the Sprint training reps I have spoken with and Apple corporate trainers these are the people who train store staff.

These Upgrade Programs stipulate in the fine print essentially if you have a 7 Plus then You can get a 7S Plus with. Apple creating a Completely different category the Plans do No Qualify for an upgrade to this New tier of device.

And Apple did this by design and on purpose there will be many upset and angry threads here in November about this. For the few who can even get their hands on an iPhone 8 or iPhone Pro.

That being said. On a side Note. Unless Apple releases a iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone 8 Pro Plus. You are being duped into buying the Small sized Lady like 5.8" version which is just as small as the 4.7" IPhone 7.

Very likely next year there will be a IPhone 8 Plus at 6.4" to equal the OLED Display Sizes Apple is buying from Samsung.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I would love an 8 Plus but a 1K price tag makes me think. My 6S Plus works well & I really want a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. I use the iPad extensively so it will probably win. Sadly, I cannot have all the nice things but I'll deal :)

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
I would love an 8 Plus but a 1K price tag makes me think. My 6S Plus works well & I really want a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. I use the iPad extensively so it will probably win. Sadly, I cannot have all the nice things but I'll deal :)

What people don't understand is that the $1000 price also includes surgery costs for both kidney removal and dialysis machine :p

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
Lol, you obviously don't know how much medical care costs in the US. :p

In my country med care is almost free, but the idea was that apple is charging way to much for the new iPhone.

Who knows, maybe the next iPhone will be so perfect that it's even worth $1200.
We have to wait and see...

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
What people don't understand is that the $1000 price also includes surgery costs for both kidney removal and dialysis machine :p

I am a cancer patient in the USA, LOL, my insurance company pays 20K a month just for my drugs. I suspect they would be happy to consider a new iPhone as treatment

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
I am a cancer patient in the USA, LOL, my insurance company pays 20K a month just for my drugs. I suspect they would be happy to consider a new iPhone as treatment

I'm very sorry to hear that, I didn't mean to offend anyone...
I hope you will get better, I really do!

Best wishes :)

Reactions: Geekbabe

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Right. iPhones, as well as other high-end smartphones, have been a social status of sorts for quite some time now.
As long as people (not just us here, obviously) continue to buy them, these "conglomerates" will keep pushing them.

Otherwise we would be in a Vertu kind of situation all over again/jk

Who needs a "High end Phone" to demonstrate their Social Stauts ? While I agree this is a thing, that persons social status is probably not very high at all. And a high-end phone means very little. Wealthy multmillionare I know still has an iPhone 5 not 5s just 5.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I'm very sorry to hear that, I didn't mean to offend anyone...
I hope you will get better, I really do!

Best wishes :)

You didn't offend me in the slightest, no worries!
[doublepost=1502208163][/doublepost]
Who needs a "High end Phone" to demonstrate their Social Stauts ? While I agree this is a thing, that persons social status is probably not very high at all. And a high-end phone means very little. Wealthy multmillionare I know still has an iPhone 5 not 5s just 5.

People buy & keep what works for them. I suspect a lot of us forum dwellers forget that "normal people" don't keep such a keen eye on electronic devices

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
People buy & keep what works for them. I suspect a lot of us forum dwellers forget that "normal people" don't keep such a keen eye on electronic devices
Yep. Normal people I know don't pay attention to when new phones are released. They just replace their device when the device starts acting wonky (or they break the screen) or when battery life becomes poor.

Reactions: Geekbabe

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I used to wait in line for each new iPhone. After a few years it was a novelty and I stopped doing it. Then it was about having the latest and greatest. I would bite each time a new gadget was released. Now I buy a new phone when the old one dies or has an issue. But a grand for a phone just to have the latest? No thanks.

To use the car analogy... some people own a $100,000 BMW or Porsche, or whatever, and live in a shack with weeds as high as the window sill. All about priorities and what's important to you.

If it comes down to forking over the dough for a new phone or paying rent, might be time to reevaluate priorities.

Reactions: Phonzoxd

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Well this is due to A.) Apple's ridiculously greedy prices and B.) the archaic way phone networks are run, and charged for. Whole system needs a reboot.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Rumor price increases for a face id, camera, spec upgrade and new screen? Really?? I just don't see enough bang for the buck here. Especially if you have a previous gen like iPhone 7 series. This is why I keep saying, I don't see any reason to purchase the 8 series. And with the rumored SE updates happening at the start of 2018, I really really don't see any point. I get the hype portion but when you look at reality, things just don't add up. And with the reports today pretty much confirming touch id is not under the glass, agh.. don't want to say I told people so but.. it was pretty obvious from what I've seen.

And don't get me wrong.. love apple.. love their products.. but I just can't see me buying into the whole "gotta have it" routine any more. No applications have been slow on any of my current devices. Everything I make as far as programming runs perfectly as well. I was really hoping IOS 11 would contain brand new amazing things.. most of which are kind of small, but useful.. little disappointed in that. Hopefully if I wait every 2 or 3 years I'll feel the upgrades are actually worth it. Only device I'm even half way interested in this year is the new Apple watch.. and with the LTE thing, that is actually putting me off from buying it because I don't need another monthly bill. But who knows, I may actually cave on that device because it's not crazy money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geert76

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
So, if the rumors are true about the iPhone 8, iPhone Edition, iPhone Pro, whatever it's called..
we'll be paying at least $1000 for our next iPhone. Sure, you can pay less for the standard model but it doesn't come with the amazing dual lens. That dual lens is EVERYTHING and it can only be found on the current plus model iPhone.

Here's the problem; that plus model is too big for some of us. I had a plus model two years ago and it was too big for my hands, even with the double-tap to bring the screen down option. It's a mystery as to why the standard model doesn't have the dual lens and the next standard model won't either.

So, what's the point of my post? I currently am on the Sprint iPhone forever plan, which lets me trade my phone in every year for the newest model. Good deal. I'm worried though, because if the current lease plans for iPhones with Sprint and most other carriers is:

32GB - $18mo | 128GB - $27mo | 256GB - $27mo

how much more will the monthly payment be with an iPhone starting at $1000?!

This means most of us will pay $100 for the monthly bill with a $40 a month lease price added on. Are we really in the days of phone bills in the car payment price range? Sheesh! I mean, who can afford these prices? It's pretty disappointing to know that the two options we have to get the dual lens will be the plus model (which it too big for a lot of us), and the middle-sized iPhone 8 with a $1k price tag.

I know, Apple hasn't announced anything yet but the wall street journal has been correct since the iPhone first released and that ridiculously priced iPhone 8 looks amazing!

Going From T-Mobile policies. TMO only lets you Finance Upto $720 at 24 Months that's why the $850 S8+ you must pay $80 down today. TMO eats the $50 difference or gets a kickback fro Samsung for the difference.

From that math we can safely gather that Apple has a premium price over Samsung and lets put the iPhone 8 at $950 base model 64GB because Apple does not want the News headline to be about price outrage

So $720 financed by 24 months is $30 But you must pay the difference upfront which is $230 But that's not gonna happen $230 scares people off $199 upfront looks better and is more marketable and the $30 difference will be absorbed by T-Mobile.

Or the best option would be $950/24 months is $40 rounded up a few cents. That's not bad considering Tmobiles new 55+ Unlimited Plan for people 55 and older like a parent or grandparent. Would be

$50 monthly for the plan $40 for the Phone that's $90 a month before fees and taxes.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
I used to wait in line for each new iPhone. After a few years it was a novelty and I stopped doing it. Then it was about having the latest and greatest. I would bite each time a new gadget was released. Now I buy a new phone when the old one dies or has an issue. But a grand for a phone just to have the latest? No thanks.

To use the car analogy... some people own a $100,000 BMW or Porsche, or whatever, and live in a shack with weeds as high as the window sill. All about priorities and what's important to you.

If it comes down to forking over the dough for a new phone or paying rent, might be time to reevaluate priorities.
This is me as well. Use to want the latest and greatest. Got my Iphone 6 Plus on release date. Still using it 3 years later.

I will upgrade though, since its slowing down a bit too much for my liking, but i might go with an SE2 instead. not going to pay over $1k for a phone.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I don't think it will be $1500. With the 7Plus at $969 currently, I expect the iPhone Pro to have a price point of $1169 for the base model of 32GB, $1269 for the 64GB, and $1369 for the 128GB. With Apple care, it can then go well over $1500.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.