Install Issues? Post Here!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DustinT, Jul 20, 2011.

?

How did your install go?

1. Easy!

64.5%
  2. I had minor problems

14.2%
  3. It failed completely

21.3%
  1. DustinT, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Just a quick thread to compile the install issues in one place. I know many of us are still downloading it but as things progress, post about your problems and we'll give you a hand.

EDIT:

Here are a few tips from the posters in this thread. Perhaps they will help your install go smoothly.

I'll edit this post and add any more tips that seem helpful. Thanks to everyone who's posting their experiences and suggestions. It is helping a lot!

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I can't even get passed account payment verification. This has never happened to me before. I just downloaded Worms the other day and it was fine. I guess this is an issue today.

3. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Mine was seamless.

I've been using the GM on my main Mac for a while now, but it was super easy my other Mac. Easier than having to insert a disk etc etc in my opinion.
    It was fast too.

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Did you use a credit card? I'm using Paypal, and another person has their payment set to "none" and it didn't work for either of us.

5. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

Mine was seamless to. I clicked buy, entered my password and it downloaded. Thats it.

Kirky, have you done only clean installs or upgrades? I'm curious if the upgrade process works smoothly. If so, I'll do it on my Macbook Pro.

6. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I found the installer's wording unusual... it gave the option to 'restore from backup', warning me that this would erase and overwrite my HD, and to 'reinstall' Lion - with no warning when I clicked on this and no apparent way to back out.

'Reinstall'? But I hadn't installed it yet! Is this preserving my Snow Leopard setup and apps, or is it a 'clean install? Will I have to transfer apps and settings from my TM backup? Will I be able to?

7. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I just upgraded, everything went fine! I did it on my old 2009 2.66 MBP, and it's made it fast...loads faster than when it was Snow Leopard. I'm really impressed!

8. enbr95 macrumors newbie

enbr95

For me, the icon flies into my dock. It says waiting when I hover over it but then disappears and fails in under 5 minutes. Can anyone help me please?

9. enbr95 macrumors newbie

enbr95

I also see this on my Purchases tab. It isn't moving at all.
    [​IMG]

10. F3NG3R macrumors newbie

It wouldn't let me select any drives to install, just gave me the error: "This disk doesn't use the GUID Partition Table scheme...". Not completely lions fault because the disk have been f*cked up by Snow Leopard and Bootcamp, but it shows a downside of only releasing it online. It gives me no option to format my drive and clean install.

I'm burning the lion DVD atm, so hopefully that will work, but not the most user friendly way to do it.

11. enbr95 macrumors newbie

enbr95

UPDATE: Seems to be an ISP thing. Same issue with Xcode.

12. BostonBrawler macrumors member

Thus far no issues.

Something that is a bit weird is the scrolling. It is the opposite of what it used to be if you concentrated on the scroll bar.

Now, you control the actual page, and the scroll bar goes in the opposite direction of what it used to.

For example, if you multi gesture down, the scroll bar goes up.

13. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

On my mid-2010 Mac Mini, it seems to have disabled the displays. I stepped away and when I came back, the display was searching for an input. However, the power light and Iomega HDD lights are both on.

Any thoughts? It has been like this for about 5-7 minutes.

14. BostonBrawler macrumors member

I have my MBP hooked up to a display, and it stayed with it the whole time.

15. ujupanti macrumors newbie

failed :(

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,1

Failed completely!
    Tried calling Apple Support but the support centre in my country is closed.. :mad::mad:

http://flic.kr/p/a5umoh

16. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

After about 15 minutes of no display, it rebooted and I had a screen again. Everything is installed and now I am playing with it.

So far so good. :)

17. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Mine is doing the same thing.

18. Kjempeblakk, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Kjempeblakk macrumors newbie

2008 (I think...) MB with similar problem, using the MB screen and an external monitor at the same time. Started the installer and everything looked nice and dandy. Got the install-screen telling me that there was 30-something minutes left. Counted down really slow, but at least the status-bar moved. Stayed like this for approx. 20 minutes I think before both the MB-screen and the external monitor went black :-( The power-lamp on the MB is dimmed a little bit, but I can hear the HDD and the fan working. Has been like this for about 30 minutes now. Gonna leave it like this for a while, as I don't have the guts to actually try a reboot...

Any ideas?

EDIT: 10 seconds after I posted, things started happening! I don't know if it was because I unplugged the external monitor but I doubt it. Anyway, my installation is now complete and successful! Seems to me that there might be some problems with external monitors, but the installation-process keeps on running in the background so hopefully it's just a matter of waiting it out....

Good luck everybody!

19. iDeclare macrumors member

iDeclare

Can't get past Mac OS X Utilities Menu after Installing Lion- HELP!!

I am having the same issue. Can't get past the "mac os x utilities" screen after installing. I am thinking that something didn't install correctly. :confused: Any help??

20. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

To update my situation:

Re-install turned out to be the right option.

Posting from within fullscreen Safari right now.

Still scrolling the wrong way 50% of the time. ;)

21. LaNex macrumors 6502

I got the same with my mac mini but after the initial reboot for preparing the install I got no output. Nada. Half on hour and still nowt. So I reboot via power button. Scared but not sure what was going on as it hadn't been mentioned here yet !
    Still no monitor output. So I shut it down via the power button, hooked up a VGA cable instead with the apple adapter and I got video. Install stuck on 33 for a very long time with the bar hardly moving but it is moving along more swiftly now, 28 minutes.

22. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

My install was successful. I am using an external monitor connected via Mini-DP to DVI on my MBP 15" early 2011 and things worked perfectly. Thanks to the speedy Vertex 3 SSD my install was completed in less than 13 minutes and I too have joined those scrolling the wrong way.

From the threads above the two install issues seem to be people with non-standard boot sectors and some type of a display issue for some users with multiple monitors.

Coming from the Windows world, thats a pretty short list of problems. Nice work, Apple!

23. mactumors macrumors 6502

Same thing here on a MacBook Pro. I've never touched my partitions or Boot Camp. Repaired permissions and trying again.

24. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

Which MacBook Pro do you have? How is your hard drive setup?

Have you tried a repair on the drive?

25. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Well still a black monitor. Light is on though on my mini. It's been a long time. Any suggestions? What would happen if I turn the power off and back on?