Installed: Speck CandyShell for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LAS22, Jun 25, 2010.

1. LAS22 macrumors regular

LAS22

Got this from an AT&T store. Asked an associate if they have any iPhone 4 Cases, he then bent down behind the counter and set several on the table. The wife immediate snatched this one and a black Incipio Soft Shell NGP(pictures later).

Like my Black CandyShell I had on my 3G(S), it's a nice snug fit. Difference though, is that the Lock and Volume are easier to press. On the previous cases, the buttons wouldn't respond unless a good amount of pressure as applied. And since the previous ones had a rocker type volume, pressing the down volume turned it up...This one, no problem. Even the lower edge piece between the home and 30-pin connector has stiffened up, supposedly prone to breakage some reported on the previous cases, but it never happened on my 3G(S) case. Well, on to the pictures:

Attached Files:

2. LAS22 thread starter macrumors regular

LAS22

2 more:

Attached Files:

3. tonedef407 macrumors regular

Does it come with screen protectors like the previous models? I am pretty sure this is the case I'm going to get.

Edit: one more thing. Does the back seem to be the same easily scratchable finish?

4. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

I used the candyshells for the 3gs's and the bottom piece always snapped right in half lol. I hope it's true these are stiffer.

5. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Can someone tell me if this case suffers from the wash out effect when taking pictures with the flash?

6. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Im pretty sure thats only for clear cases.

7. megsalias macrumors regular

How much was this case if you don't mind me asking? AT&T here hasn't gotten them in yet.

8. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I was thinking about getting this also, I use the Candyshell for my iPad and i like it. But for the iPhone it looks like it's too bulky and add more weight to it. It looks really beefy to me. How does it feel for you??

9. LAS22 thread starter macrumors regular

LAS22

This one did not come with a screen protector. According to their website, this one is 'Exclusively at AT&T Retail Stores', not sure if applies if sold in other stores. The back is glossy so i'm pretty sure it's scratch up like the previous cases, better this than the phone. This one though is flat, can't spin it like the old ones.

Yeah, I remember see all the threads about it. Luckily mine never.

Yes, it adds bulk like any case would. The wife likes it for the color and protection.:rolleyes: To me, you can definitely feel the size compared to a naked phone, especially since the back edges are sharp like the phone.

Attached Files:

10. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

I remember someone saying that the charger plug is a really tight fit and it bends the little piece a little, is this true?

11. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

thanks for the extra pics, wow that is bulky. Better protection but in my pocket is too bulgy for me.

12. LAS22 thread starter macrumors regular

LAS22

had to confirm this myself after seeing a few post of other case, see pictures below...

....:mad:

the wife loves the case though. guess i'll have to break out the dremel.:eek:

pics 1 - 2 are WITHOUT the case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pics 3 - 5 are WITH the case on...:mad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. LAS22 thread starter macrumors regular

LAS22

negative, it is not an issue. it is a near perfect fit, but only for the OEM Apple connector. Can't speak for the aftermarket stuff.

no problem. but do check it out if you see one at the stores, so you can get a real feel for it. personally, i'm a holster/belt clip guy.

14. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Wow It much really affect all the cases.... The case manufactures are going to have to redesign them all over again :X

15. Hieu macrumors member

Thanks for making this post and posting the pics with the flash.
    Damn I was going to for sure get this case until I saw what it did to the flash.
    Looks like I'll be getting the blue bumper.

16. PlanetRed macrumors regular

thanks for the pics. i had ordered this case today and will now be returning it to an at&t store. went ahead and ordered a black bumper from apple!

17. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Wow thanks for the pics. Seeing the naked phone next to the cased phone is enough for me to see it's too bulky.

See it messes with the flash too!
    At this point it's better to wait n give time to let manufactures see the problems n come out with better cases.

Thank you for taking the time to post these pics. Cases are so expensive. It's a chore to find the right one.

18. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

nice...

color purple but the cost seems so high.

On the 3GS I started getting these hard cases online similar to the ifrogz but just harder material. It did the job. Of several that were about $3 each, never got a scratch or smudge on the phone.

When I got the 4 Wednesday the buyer for the 3GS gave it a very thorough inspection, wiping the screen several times and looking at every corner. Well I did say it was pristine.

It was. :p

So now I'm addicted to going with these type of cases although not sure this will be the equivalent, but it's probably closer to the softer ifrogz than the hard case type:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...19073&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2144wt_1139

I got a couple and that's for less than half of one of these. Not that I'm saying it's a bad pick. If folks are happy great, but folks are also out looking.
    :cool:

19. peestandingup macrumors regular

I agree. Any case where the cutout is that close to the flash is going to effect your camera quality, period. So I honestly don't think its smart right now to buy any of these until this gets fixed by all those case makers.

The iPhone 4 has too good of a camera to mess it up with some case.

20. GameraFan macrumors regular

Installed the Speck Candyshell and am getting the same purplish-blue haze on pictures taken with the flash...

21. KingFudd macrumors member

Are the cutouts centered? By your screenshots they look like they are. I was watching a video review of the black version, and the cutouts weren't placed properly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNgfrmI6V1M (this is not my video) Look at 6:15, 6:45, and 7:30. If anyone else notices this problem, please post.

22. peestandingup macrumors regular

I think the problem is that all the cutouts are way too small. They need to make them wider & taller so to let the flash project outwards equally on all sides.

So far, none of these cases are doing that. So part of the flash is being inhibited.

23. GameraFan macrumors regular

Anyone will to try the Griffin Reveal black sharpie on the inside of the flash opening trick on the Candyshell?

I've contacted Speck and am waiting to hear back.

Will definitely wait a while before getting our next iPhones. This early adopter thing is annoying. :)

24. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

With these problems, I'm glad Switcheasy, Incase, and iSkin are delayed on releasing anything. Hopefully it means they are actually using a phone to design the cases.

25. GameraFan macrumors regular

Not to mention the SGP Steinheil film issue with no flash cut-out.

Personally, looking forward to a PowerSupport Crystal film / Otterbox combo.

Oh, and a phone that doesn't drop signal when I hold it without a case...