Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several weeks ago, word surfaced that recent developer builds of Mac OS X 10.6.2 had ceased to support Intel's Atom processors, the basis of many netbook systems popular with those who wish to modify non-Apple systems to run OS X. The news set off a tremendous amount of discussion about the change until additional news surfaced that Atom compatibility had resurfaced in a subsequent developer seed, Build 10C535, released in late October.

A new post by developer and Tumblr user stellarola who has been monitoring the situation indicates that the claim of restored Atom support in Build 10C535 had been faked. He claims to have received confirmation from multiple sources that Atom is not supported in the latest developer seed, known as Build 10C540, released last week.
I spoke to another colleague of mine and he noticed the date of the kernel. He sent me a picture of his kernel information from 10.6.1, which uses the same kernel as 10.6.0. (The name has been removed for privacy purposes)

As you can see the date is exactly the same as the old kernel. Now, let's take a look at my gf's Core2Duo system that's running 10.6.2 Build 10C535. (The name has been removed for privacy purposes)

Obviously the date is different than the previous two. Anyone can tell the first image from "MachVoluM" is a fake. My sources still tell me the Atom CPU is still unsupported even in the latest 10.6.2 build 10C540.
A video has also been posted showing an MSI Wind netbook attempting to boot on the latest 10.6.2 seed, but being unable to do so.

Article Link: Intel Atom Still Unsupported on Mac OS X 10.6.2 Seeds

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well that's a real pickle.

I have my doubts that this is intentional to malicious targeting against Atom. We'll have to see once everything is out.

iPoodOverZune

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
LOST
Damn this news is so persistent! Quite frankly it is getting more coverage than the launch of VMware fusion or Parallels desktop or comparison between them, or things like that, which can be interest to regular mac user.

Honestly, I myself have a hackintosh built but for news related to it, I go to insanelymac or netkas blog, and not come to macrumors to hear about it. Lets stick with core mac news (ahem rumors :) )

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
media: run to the right side. now media run to the left. now all media back to the right side…

at this point no one has access to the mythical 10.6.2

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Well that's a real pickle.

I have my doubts that this is intentional to malicious targeting against Atom. We'll have to see once everything is out.

I just hope there are some folks testing it out on the 2006 vintage Yonah Core Duo boxes as well, since they are 32 bit only as well.

B

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I also doubt it's malicious. Perhaps they are compiling more stuff with LLVM/Clang now (instead of GCC) and it generates instructions that only work on desktop CPUs. LLVM is Apple's own compiler, and since they sell no Atom products, there's no reason to believe they would conduct any testing on these CPUs.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
So what do you think it is if not intentional?

Apple is phasing out support for anything but 64 bit in many ways. My iMac won't be supported for Boot Camp in W7, and for a while there it looked like it would not be able to run SL at all.

B

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I just hope there are some folks testing it out on the 2006 vintage Yonah Core Duo boxes as well, since they are 32 bit only as well.

B
I would hope so as well. It would be disastarous for the update to somehow break the support for Yonah as well.

So what do you think it is if not intentional?
I don't really know. Yonah is much older than Atom but there might be some specific feature sets that aren't replicated on Atom that 10.6.2 is looking for. I have no idea what the reasoning behind that is though.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think it's a real shame. I don't know if I'd want Apple to officially support non-Apple hardware, but I don't think they should limit the products. It could be a great introduction to OS X for people that might not be able to afford a Mac.

I don't care if they support it, I just don't want them to break it.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Excellent!!! I hope Apple succeeds in getting rid of all of these useless Hackintosh users. They are not customers of Apple and they just make useless justifications as to why they think they should have the RIGHT to install OS X on non-Apple hardware. GO APPLE!! Get rid of the fake Mac users.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Excellent!!! I hope Apple succeeds in getting rid of all of these useless Hackintosh users. They are not customers of Apple and they just make useless justifications as to why they think they should have the RIGHT to install OS X on non-Apple hardware. GO APPLE!! Get rid of the fake Mac users.
What have these evil hacktintoshers done to you? I'm interested to know, you seem to have such a strong opinion and all.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA

As a Mac user I would rather you not tarnish the image of other Mac users with your insulting and ignorant comments.

badapple18

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007

Get off your high horse, My family and I have purchased MANY apple items to date and I'm typing this on a unibody macbook pro. but there is just something fun about having an OSX Netbook (my Macbook Wind)

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
Well, the netbooks were fun while they lasted. Now their highest selling point has been nullified by his majesty Jobs.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
So?

Macs don't use Intel Atoms anyway.

As much as this is hotly disputed I must agree. It just seems to me like Apple is doing what it can to keep its OS's proper to its hardware. Do I agree, not really, does it make sense, yes.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Get off your high horse, My family and I have purchased MANY apple items to date and I'm typing this on a unibody macbook pro. but there is just something fun about having an OSX Netbook (my Macbook Wind)

My Dell Mini 9 is what I use on my way to work. It fits in my pocket for the most part and is easy to use on a cramped train. I tried using my MBP but it was just too big.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA

THIS 'useless Hackintosh user' tried a Hackintosh and only AFTER it, bought his first mac - and since spent a total of about £3500 on Apple hardware.

THIS 'useless Hackintosh user' refused to buy a Mac for a very long time because of the hideous, vitriolic troll like behaviour of mac users like yourself.

THIS 'useless Hackintosh user' wonders if you actually realise that by being such a hideously offensive character, you're damaging the reputation of Apple and its users and reducing the likelihood of people wanted to try a Mac.

THIS 'useless Hackintosh user' knows several people who refuse to try or buy a Mac specifically because of people like you.

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA

Some people believe they own whatever software they pay for, and therefore should have a right to do with it as they please.

jimmyjoemccrow

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2009

Go read their forums. A lot of them are Apple users, or at the very least buy legit copies of OSX to install. Not every Mac user blindly follows Apple's ideas of what the best hardware is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.