Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
I'm really excited about Kaby Lake. Most see it as just an incremental improvement, but here's why I think it's really nice:

1. Optane (crosspoint) memory - crazy fast SSD's that run at 6-7x current SSD speeds. System responsiveness will be amazing.

2. On-cpu HEVC decoding. Super low cpu utilization for new 4k content playback (and even 1080p/720p stuff encoded with the new more efficient codec). In 5 years when you retire the macbook, it will make a great HTPC.

GPU doesn't matter that much to me right now. I'd build a desktop if I want to game, though I'm sure there are some improvements.

More than anything I wish residential broadband would improve. Let's assume a fairly common 50Mbps home internet connection:

Internet - 50Mbps
PCI SSD write speed - around 500MBps = 80x faster
PCI SSD NVME write speed - around 900MBps = 144x faster
New Optane write speed - around 2GBps = 320x faster

That's right - our internet can only download at 0.3% the speed of new SSD's.
If you're lucky enough to have Google Fiber at 1Gbps, you're at 6%.

SSD's are damn fast, and we need better internet! I suppose you could argue that since these are laptops the next generation with a die shrink would be even better because of improved battery life, but it's a pretty nice update. (I'm on a 5 year old machine right now).

I'm on 1Mbps... (rural France)
[doublepost=1469541450][/doublepost]
Intel has not given any reason why they cannot deliver Iris Pro 580 based chips. There was a press release in May, that now they're coming... but no. Still, you cannot buy any Intel processors with Iris Pro 580... and that is an essential part of Skylake family. And the missing part of rMBP 15" and iMac 21.5".

My reaction was not just for you, but all you who are saying, that Apple is not updating their computers and who read Wikipedia like Bible. It states Q1/2016 because Intel has not given any official explanation or new dates. For me, it seems, they will jump silent directly to Kaby Lake. My only evidence is, that you cannot buy the mobile chip from any dealer as of now.

Please, Google Iris Pro P580 and look all the information and reviews available. Only Intel press release based vaporware.

What about the Skull Canyon NUC, the one with Iris Pro 580:
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-NUC6i7KYK-Mini-BOXNUC6I7KYK1/dp/B01DJ9XS52

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
That's right, and you didn't make it clear to me you knew about the chips, however they could launch new mobile chips at any point as they no doubt will do, so their is no reason a new MacBook Pro won't use them. People have been saying the DGPU will be killed off for years, like they said the iPod Touch was going to be killed off.

With Apple I'll believe it when I see it.

But it's important that they aren't yet available. The whole point of the thread is why not yet... Delays from Intel, AMD, Nvidia are pretty darn important elements.
[doublepost=1469550075][/doublepost]
I'm on 1Mbps... (rural France)
[doublepost=1469541450][/doublepost]

What about the Skull Canyon NUC, the one with Iris Pro 580:
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-NUC6i7KYK-Mini-BOXNUC6I7KYK1/dp/B01DJ9XS52

That was mentioned later in the thread, but it's telling that the only place the part has been seen is Intel's own direct to consumer product. It's got to be poor yields.

Reactions: strawbale

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
Ya know for me personally, it's not so much that I hate having old tech but rather that I hate having old tech for the sake of just having old tech that works well enough with an optimized OS.

Apple typically makes the hardware work well enough through proper software utilization and implementation, that for myself and most folks, it's satisfactory. It's disappointing though when the tech is already outdated when it ships though lol. Another thing is that you can "never have the latest and greatest" because while waiting for the tech to release for production, some other "newer" tech will be in the news as just around the corner. Eventually you remain in a continual state of waiting for a perfect moment to arrive when the device IS the latest and greatest, but the moment just never comes lol.

I would be happy with a simple planned roadmap of future products and their respective iterations with planned timeline and expected release date so that I can plan and time my yearly purchases when devices and products will actually be released, and be comfortable with my purchases by knowing what I am "giving up in the future - - and when" in exchange for making the current purchasing decision I did.

Too much is unknown about the cyclic nature of upgraded devices in the Apple lineup; yes iPhones are released every year (well then it became 2 years and now looks like it's going to every 3 years), Laptop computers used to be released with fair regularity as did desktop computers, and even the Pro desktop workstation was not too challenging to identify a close date of release (with monitor mind you lol), but now iPads, iPhones, laptops, desktops, accessories, etc. are ALL being released like some random drawing that is impossible to pr determine; even for purposes of saving money to cover all new devices when Apple decides to introduce 6 new products in Sep/Oct/Nov that ME and my WIFE will EACH want before or on XMas lol.

Ok I'm off my soapbox and off ripping Apple. I do love the brand and their devices. I just hope for more transparency with product release cycles and frequency for better timing of expenditures for my own personal accounting needs (well for both me and my wife lol). My wife and I also both have an iPhone 6 (mine is + and her's is regular 6) in 128 and plan to upgrade to whatever is introduced in Sep, in 256 or higher if introduced :). Both my Qi7 15" rMBP from 2014 with 512 and 16 and my 2013 13" MBA with 256 and 7 still work amazingly well for my needs, even though I had hoped they wouldn't so I could force myself to buy a new rMBP when it comes out lol; battery for the MBP is 8-10 hours of continual use with Word, Safari, Mendley, Outlook, Messages, etc., and MBA is 13-15 hours under a similar load. So these two computers will be staying put and I will not be buying a new MBP. However I DID just buy a 12" MB lol. Didn't need it but felt it went nicely with my 12.9" iPad Pro haha. It made up for NOT buying the 6S+ iPhone for me and my wife last year ok so cut me a break lol.

Ok lol, NOW I'm really done and really off Apple here. Hope everyone gets what they were hoping for from Apple quickly. I know it's frustrating to wait and wait and wait, but Apply unquestionably in the past has been one of the few who have actually backed up the extended delay and wait for a product or a device with a fantastic product that actually WAS worth the wait, and the delay became acceptable due to the brilliance of the product. Let us all hope that Apple can still dazzle and still has some magic left haunting the halls at the "Old Campus" to WOW us for 1-2 more product refresh/upgrades before moving to the "Space Ship!"

Best,

USVet96

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
The first Skylake chips launched on 1 September 2015. So much for 'over a year'. But I guess lying is ok if the audience wants to believe the lie. And people care more about the packaging than the content (aka any Skylake chip will do, even if it has a worse iGPU).

Okay so I'm a couple of months out. Dell, etc still have these products available, where Apple do not! And the point of Skylake is DDR4 RAM and the increase in the upper RAM limit to 64GB. I honestly don't care about the iGPU as I always use a dGPU.
[doublepost=1469649306][/doublepost]
Sorry, I don't see it that way. On the Windows side of the house they are using multiple processors instead of just one to increase there graphic output. Have you seen there graphic output? I have and it makes me cry. Graphics is very important to me. The Apple OS is very important to me. What Apple has done with their hardware both desktop and mobile when it comes to graphics has been a complete disappointment in the last three years. They know how to do more, someone there just won't let them. And I'm left with 2013 technology.

Exactly, it's like they are deliberately not bothering to develop the platform.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Okay so I'm a couple of months out. Dell, etc still have these products available, where Apple do not! And the point of Skylake is DDR4 RAM and the increase in the upper RAM limit to 64GB. I honestly don't care about the iGPU as I always use a dGPU.
Mac users care about iGPUs because out of the five different (physical shape) Mac laptops, only one has even the option of a dGPU.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
True, that slightly orange-er pink band probably took thousands of R&D dollars... :p

People do joke about the one-port MacBook, rightly or wrongly, but at least it was Apple focussing on the Mac and trying to innovate in a fairly mature market.

Funnily enough, I walked into an edit suite this week. An editor was using FCPX on his 12" MacBook, cutting with 4K proxies and it performed perfectly. Not a Mac Pro in sight. They are surprising powerful, and this was for television, not some YouTube channel.

The keyword here is PROXIES. That's essentially a thumbnail video, not actual 4K RAW. Load a 2K AIC project into that one-port wonder and see how fast it's brought to it's knees. Really, if you could run FCPX on a Chromebook, you could edit with "4K" proxies.

Here, read this. You'll thank you later:https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/17972

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The keyword here is PROXIES. That's essentially a thumbnail video, not actual 4K RAW. Load a 2K AIC project into that one-port wonder and see how fast it's brought to it's knees. Really, if you could run FCPX on a Chromebook, you could edit with "4K" proxies.

Here, read this. You'll thank you later:https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/17972
Yep I know what a proxy is, but thanks for the link. For the sizzle reels, they were edited at 4K native res without slowdown - it was as fast as some of the old Mac Pro towers with spinning disks rather than SSDs. Granted, they are only 5 minutes or so but these MacBooks are very capable, far more than one would expect. Obviously a larger project at full res would see it perform worse, but for bits here and there it seems brilliant.

I'd really try it before knocking it.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Yep I know what a proxy is, but thanks for the link. For the sizzle reels, they were edited at 4K native res without slowdown - it was as fast as some of the old Mac Pro towers with spinning disks rather than SSDs. Granted, they are only 5 minutes or so but these MacBooks are very capable, far more than one would expect. Obviously a larger project at full res would see it perform worse, but for bits here and there it seems brilliant.

I'd really try it before knocking it.

No no, I wasn't knocking it. I know that you know what proxy files are for. I didn't want people glancing at this and thinking that they can do feature-length 4K RAW on a one-port-MacBook. What you mentioned is actually a really cool and economic workflow. Have you seen this done with a max-spec Macbook Air? This could save my daughter a ton of money by going down to the "big machine lab" for the final export and render, etc. instead of buying a max-spec rMBP.

Are you using this workflow or was it just the editor you saw? Is anybody here using a proxy workflow with Avid?

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Mac users care about iGPUs because out of the five different (physical shape) Mac laptops, only one has even the option of a dGPU.

No, Apple think Mac users want an integrated GPU in a low powered laptop. Apple don't give users the choice, or ask their opinion. I personally want a bigger laptop. I want a matte screen - glossy is too reflective in an office. I want a built-in ethernet port (cos dongles suck and work loose, or get lost/stolen). I want space for more than 1 SSD (2 x PCIe SSD would be great). I want a fast GPU for photo editing. I want a 64GB RAM option so I can run lots of VM's. And I want more travel in the keyboard, not less. The current rMBP isn't exactly a light machine, but in terms of specification is easily outdone by the Dell Precision 5510. There's no excuse for the piss poor performance considering how big it is.

You may think I'm alone in wanting these kind of specs but you would be wrong. Microsoft pissed off a lot of people with their piss-poor updates for Windows, that combine with horrible PC laptops turned a lot of IT pros to Mac. Because it just works. Now a lot of us have simply outgrown the platform and are considering going back to PC laptops because the hardware is now great - Windows update still sucks though, and there is nothing that compares to Messages on Windows. So we have great PC hardware on one side, with a confused OS from Microsoft (linux isn't an option for me unfortunately), and on the other side we have a great OS with crappy low spec hardware. You would think at the very least Apple would need this hardware internally for it's own power users - it's development teams. They must be hitting the limits by now, even the nMP isn't that hight spec.

iPhone sales are down, yet Apple insist they are still in a post-PC era. They seem to forget that they won't always be cool with the kids and once they stop being cool they will need to rely on what was their core business - computers - as an enabler to sell the rest of their eco system on which they do make money. All they have to do is release some kick-ass hardware (which they are more than capable of doing) and they will keep customers. Don't do this and their share price will continue in the direction it's heading now - no point having an iPhone, iCloud, etc if you are relying on Windows might as well migrate to Google instead.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
No no, I wasn't knocking it. I know that you know what proxy files are for. I didn't want people glancing at this and thinking that they can do feature-length 4K RAW on a one-port-MacBook. What you mentioned is actually a really cool and economic workflow. Have you seen this done with a max-spec Macbook Air? This could save my daughter a ton of money by going down to the "big machine lab" for the final export and render, etc. instead of buying a max-spec rMBP.

Are you using this workflow or was it just the editor you saw? Is anybody here using a proxy workflow with Avid?

Pretty sure it can be done with a top-spec MBA, the editor I was with had an m7 2016 MacBook. The only thing which it's significantly worse at is the final export. It is quite amazing considering their size. Not my workflow, unfortunately I haven't graduated from cutting home videos yet...

He did try running Media Composer on the rMB, but it struggled more than FCPX. Still useable, but Apple seems to have written FCP very well.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
No, Apple think Mac users want an integrated GPU in a low powered laptop. Apple don't give users the choice, or ask their opinion. I personally want a bigger laptop. I want a matte screen - glossy is too reflective in an office. I want a built-in ethernet port (cos dongles suck and work loose, or get lost/stolen). I want space for more than 1 SSD (2 x PCIe SSD would be great). I want a fast GPU for photo editing. I want a 64GB RAM option so I can run lots of VM's. And I want more travel in the keyboard, not less. The current rMBP isn't exactly a light machine, but in terms of specification is easily outdone by the Dell Precision 5510. There's no excuse for the piss poor performance considering how big it is.

Well here in Australia a Dell Precision 5100 starts $5,656.20. And that's for a 2.7GHz i7 with 16GB of ram and only 256GB SSD.

In comparison the top of the range MacBook Pro with 2.8GHz i7, 16GB of ram and 512GB SSD is $4200.

Not sure what the extra $1400 gets you? But I'd hardly call it outdoing the MBP.

Last edited:

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Well here in Australia a Dell Precision 5100 starts $5,656.20. And that's for a 2.7GHz i7 with 16GB of ram and only 256GB SSD.

In comparison the top of the range MacBook Pro with 2.8GHz i7, 16GB of ram and 512GB SSD is $4200.

Not sure what the extra $1400 gets you? But I'd hardly call it outdoing the MBP.

Here in the UK, the Dell is cheaper than the rMBP. Core i7, 4K screen, 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD is £1699 for the Dell, while the rMBP with a similar spec (GPU and screen are different) is £1999.

The Dell can also be upgraded to 32GB RAM, which is a big deal for me as I run a lot of VMs. The internal storage can also go up to 1.5TB from the factory and more if you upgrade yourself.

The rMBP has had no significant improvement since 2012. It's got a little bit quicker since then. I'm still stuck at 1TB for the SSD and RAM is limited to 16GB. So yes, with the UK pricing the Dell is a better purchase. So much so, I've stopped waiting for Apple and I've bought a Dell for my VM lab. If a rMBP would have been available with the right spec I would have bought one of those - but it simply does not exist.

dj23andMe

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Seattle, WA
[doublepost=1469649306][/doublepost]

Exactly, it's like they are deliberately not bothering to develop the platform.

Wall Street owns Tim Cook. He focuses Apple on anorexic thin products with fat margins. Deliberately not bothering to develop the platform will cost Apple its most loyal fans (what a disappointment).

Reactions: robeddie and shaunp

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
iPhone sales are down, yet Apple insist they are still in a post-PC era. They seem to forget that they won't always be cool with the kids and once they stop being cool they will need to rely on what was their core business - computers - as an enabler to sell the rest of their eco system on which they do make money. All they have to do is release some kick-ass hardware (which they are more than capable of doing) and they will keep customers. Don't do this and their share price will continue in the direction it's heading now - no point having an iPhone, iCloud, etc if you are relying on Windows might as well migrate to Google instead.

This is the Tidal Wave coming to Apple. I saw it happen with IBM and I saw it happen to Microsoft. Both had to shrink as a company and build themselves back up as they refocused their business model.
Apple is in a much more precarious position than both of them because the don't have the corporate penetration with regular 50,000 unit type orders with support contracts etc, that can come in week by week.

Kids who are 22 now we're 13 when the iPhone came out. To most kids younger than that, there is no difference between Apple and Samsung for devices or even Acer, Asus, or Dell for computers; and OS X has pooped the bed so bad the last 3-4 years that they have managed to regularly slow down 2-3 year old machines.

They look to be betting the farm on being a consumable gadget company and they desperately want to be a content company. it's a big gamble. Maybe they really are on the path to conceding to Linux within 5 years (which is a shame,because I prefer BSD). But between OS X and their slow hardware updates I am starting to think they are consciously distracted.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
This is Apple, 100% led by a supply chain guy, it's dominated by margin, timing, market and penetration.
Led by a supply chain guy who spends company cash in the service of his personal politics rather than sound business. The car project is a very bad no good idea that makes no business sense except as a vanity project. Billions will be wasted in its pursuit, and it's a distraction from boring core business like fixing iTunes Match and iCloud Drive.
[doublepost=1470064149][/doublepost]
You clearly haven't been paying attention to the multi-colored watch bands.
That's what you get when you hire a Burberry exec to do marketing. The insubstantial becomes important.

Reactions: robeddie

dj23andMe

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Seattle, WA
This is Apple, 100% led by a supply chain guy, it's dominated by margin, timing, market and penetration.
Design, tech, ux, where all the magic happens, are all forced to work on the new car project, except the newbs, that's how we got protruding cameras.

Hopefully Apple is looking at reducing execution risk on Car project by partnering with Tesla. Many ways to do this from design of machine vision and cameras to battery and financial.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Wall Street owns Tim Cook. He focuses Apple on anorexic thin products with fat margins. Deliberately not bothering to develop the platform will cost Apple its most loyal fans (what a disappointment).

Yep. I just bought an XPS15 as my mobile VM lab because Apple's kit still has a 16GB limit on RAM. I could have gone for a Precision 7510 or 7710 and got 64GB, but I don't fancy carrying around something so heavy. Could have also gone for Lenovo to, but they've pissed me off in the past so I won't touch them. But, I have choices on PC hardware, at least I can get the spec I want and at a cheaper price then Apple and without any loss in quality.
[doublepost=1470080079][/doublepost]
This is the Tidal Wave coming to Apple. I saw it happen with IBM and I saw it happen to Microsoft. Both had to shrink as a company and build themselves back up as they refocused their business model.
Apple is in a much more precarious position than both of them because the don't have the corporate penetration with regular 50,000 unit type orders with support contracts etc, that can come in week by week.

Kids who are 22 now we're 13 when the iPhone came out. To most kids younger than that, there is no difference between Apple and Samsung for devices or even Acer, Asus, or Dell for computers; and OS X has pooped the bed so bad the last 3-4 years that they have managed to regularly slow down 2-3 year old machines.

They look to be betting the farm on being a consumable gadget company and they desperately want to be a content company. it's a big gamble. Maybe they really are on the path to conceding to Linux within 5 years (which is a shame,because I prefer BSD). But between OS X and their slow hardware updates I am starting to think they are consciously distracted.

I'd ditch all my Apple gear now, but it would cost me too much money on my nMP to sell it now. I'll wait another year before I give up on it. At that point I'll be running on Windows 10. It's a shame there's no such thing as 'standard Linux' for Adobe to develop on...

dj23andMe

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Seattle, WA
Yep. I just bought an XPS15 as my mobile VM lab because Apple's kit still has a 16GB limit on RAM. I could have gone for a Precision 7510 or 7710 and got 64GB, but I don't fancy carrying around something so heavy. Could have also gone for Lenovo to, but they've pissed me off in the past so I won't touch them. But, I have choices on PC hardware, at least I can get the spec I want and at a cheaper price then Apple and without any loss in quality.
[doublepost=1470080079][/doublepost]

I'd ditch all my Apple gear now, but it would cost me too much money on my nMP to sell it now. I'll wait another year before I give up on it. At that point I'll be running on Windows 10. It's a shame there's no such thing as 'standard Linux' for Adobe to develop on...

I upgraded my bootcamp to Windows 10 on 7/29/2016 to try bash on Ubuntu on Windows in August Anniversary update. I hope this is enough "Linux" file system to have alternative options.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Ubuntu is moving faster than anyone I've seen since Red Hat in the late 90's and SUSE in the aughts. I run the freshest Ubuntu distro screaming fast on my 2006 core duo white MacBook. Apple insists on trying to break the efi boot process with every release of boot camp. thank goodness there are good programmers out there who still care about core performance.

If Adobe picked one or two distributions to work with and jumped in bed with them, they could hedge themselves in Apple's silent war against them. Ubuntu and Fedora would be good candidates.

However, they are probably hung up on something harder to pick than a Linux distribution. KDE vs Gnome.
They would have to develop for both. Or they are just hoping cloud computing will let their applications run on VMs that android, and chrome OS and everything else can access.

but, as most would say, you can use Gimp for most everything PS does.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Ubuntu is moving faster than anyone I've seen since Red Hat in the late 90's and SUSE in the aughts. I run the freshest Ubuntu distro screaming fast on my 2006 core duo white MacBook. Apple insists on trying to break the efi boot process with every release of boot camp. thank goodness there are good programmers out there who still care about core performance.

If Adobe picked one or two distributions to work with and jumped in bed with them, they could hedge themselves in Apple's silent war against them. Ubuntu and Fedora would be good candidates.

However, they are probably hung up on something harder to pick than a Linux distribution. KDE vs Gnome.
They would have to develop for both. Or they are just hoping cloud computing will let their applications run on VMs that android, and chrome OS and everything else can access.

but, as most would say, you can use Gimp for most everything PS does.

It's the KDE vs Gnome and different package managers (deb vs rpm) that will be the sticking points. There's no 'standard' unfortunately. Personally I'd go with Ubuntu as I've always found it easier to live with than other distributions.

I'm sure Gimp is very good, but I just don't want to have to relearn. I'm happy with Photo Mechanic, Lightroom and the occasional bit of PS. These all work on Mac and Windows so I can flip over Windows when it suits me, but sadly they don't work on Linux. I've looked at darktable, but I'm not convinced yet. I'll keep an eye on it though.
[doublepost=1470171745][/doublepost]
I upgraded my bootcamp to Windows 10 on 7/29/2016 to try bash on Ubuntu on Windows in August Anniversary update. I hope this is enough "Linux" file system to have alternative options.

I need to play with that :)

Eduardo Forneck

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
i'll wait for the Kaby Lake version next year...when Intel has already started shipping Cannonlake.
[doublepost=1476229076][/doublepost]have to wait +500 days for a hardware update, and when it comes it's old hardware still.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
i'll wait for the Kaby Lake version next year...when Intel has already started shipping Cannonlake.
[doublepost=1476229076][/doublepost]have to wait +500 days for a hardware update, and when it comes it's old hardware still.

We'll see. Others have mentioned the discontinuation of Intel's Iris Pro after Skylake on these boards and around the web. Moreover, Skylake is known to have a serious issue with a bug in its CPU, something Intel said it would correct in the Skylake revision, a la Kaby Lake. After a little more thought about this, I really wonder if Apple is shifting plans away from Iris Pro gfx. If so, Apple could move to Kaby Lake for the MBP 15" this quarter, but the 13" would likely not happen until Q1 2017 if they continue to use Intel's Iris GPU.

The next update will be telling. If Apple eschews the SOC setup (i.e., Iris Pro) in favor of splitting its line between Intel HD GPUs and NVidia/AMD dGPUs, then updates will become more timely for the 15". If Apple uses Skylake with Intel's Iris Pro, then I think this may be the last Intel CPU in the 15" MBP, after which I could see Apple using AMD's APU with a Zen CPU and a Vega GPU. Of course, the real shocker would be an announcement that Apple is transitioning to AMD APUs with the MBP redesign.

Eduardo Forneck

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
We'll see. Others have mentioned the discontinuation of Intel's Iris Pro after Skylake on these boards and around the web. Moreover, Skylake is known to have a serious issue with a bug in its CPU, something Intel said it would correct in the Skylake revision, a la Kaby Lake. After a little more thought about this, I really wonder if Apple is shifting plans away from Iris Pro gfx. If so, Apple could move to Kaby Lake for the MBP 15" this quarter, but the 13" would likely not happen until Q1 2017 if they continue to use Intel's Iris GPU.

The next update will be telling. If Apple eschews the SOC setup (i.e., Iris Pro) in favor of splitting its line between Intel HD GPUs and NVidia/AMD dGPUs, then updates will become more timely for the 15". If Apple uses Skylake with Intel's Iris Pro, then I think this may be the last Intel CPU in the 15" MBP, after which I could see Apple using AMD's APU with a Zen CPU and a Vega GPU. Of course, the real shocker would be an announcement that Apple is transitioning to AMD APUs with the MBP redesign.

i dont think AMD chips are efficient enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.