Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Maybe Intel should outsource manufacturing to companies in Asia? They've been producing chips by the billion for mobile applications and likely have more people with greater experience in manufacturing than can be found in the US (there was an article a few months ago where Tim Cook explained why Apple goes to Foxconn instead of trying to assemble in the US)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Maybe Intel should outsource manufacturing to companies in Asia? They've been producing chips by the billion for mobile applications and likely have more people with greater experience in manufacturing than can be found in the US (there was an article a few months ago where Tim Cook explained why Apple goes to Foxconn instead of trying to assemble in the US)

asian companies have had production problems for many years.

jmerchlinsky

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Washington DC

Intel is on the bleeding edge of semiconductor technology. Manufacturing 14nm chips is nothing like slapping iPhones together.

or maybe you were joking...

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop

Nevermind Broadwell, by the time Apple gets around to updating their lineup to Haswell, Skylake will be out.

:rolleyes:

I finally caved last week and got an 27" iMac on an open box steal from Best Buy (I think the employee there was trying to do the same). Now the pressure is released, I am thinking it might make sense to wait for IGZO displays on the rMBP but I do miss portability (AC on my iMac and my wife's Air is sweet though).

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
An MBA with even BETTER battery life? I'm loving my 2013 MBA as is. Anything above 15 hours would be orgasmic.

Battery life improvements are always welcome. Consider that better battery life means fewer cycles when you are on battery power. Many people would upgrade their notebooks if it meant battery life was a complete non-issue. Ideally it would only be necessary to plug it in at the end of the day as you do with a phone.

That is possibly the silliest thing I've read this month. Intel doesn't lack infrastructure here. The complaint you mention from Apple relates to the amount of infrastructure that disappeared from outsourcing and the demise of consumer electronics in the US from the 70s onward.

Last edited:

Kimbie

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
UK

Intel I think has one of the biggest R&D budgets in the world, they have some of the most advanced fab plants in the world, why would they hand off their manufacturing to someone else? when they have spent billions getting to where they are now?

Kimbie

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
I know what you mean - can you believe it, Apple released the iPhone 5 in a few new colors and called it a "new" phone?! Unbelievable :p:p:p

5s seems to be selling well...5c is what they say it is - an iPhone 5 available in colors.

Here's hoping for a bit more in the MBP update than just Haswell and A/C.

ubcpsyc

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
Well that settles it. I'm replacing my SandyBridge MBP with a Haswell one. And will bite again at Skylake.

Great idea. With Broadwell delayed no point continuing to wait. When the SandyBridge comes in the IGZO screens should be in full swing.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Should I buy Haswell now in early January or wait for Broardwell in early Spring or if not Autumn?

I have no idea what time these things are likely to be released this year but an igup boost and better battery life is worth waiting for me. No desperate need to switch to Mac quite yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.