Intel Promising Faster Integrated Graphics in Next Laptops, But Fast Enough?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 7, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Fudzilla reports that the graphics performance of the integrated graphics in Intel's next-generation mobile processors (Arrandale) will exceed the performance of the current Intel mobile platform (Montevina).

As always, Intel codenames can be hard to follow. The Arrandale processors represent the mobile versions of Intel's Nehalem processors that were recently introduced into the Mac Pros. Intel then packages these mobile processors into "platforms" which combine a mobile chipset, mobile processor, and wireless network. The platform for Arrandale is called Calpella. Notably, Arrandale is the first mobile processor from Intel to come with integrated graphics processor built-in. As Arrandale represents the next generation mobile processor from Intel, Apple is expected to adopt it in its MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and iMacs in late 2009/early 2010.

According to Fudzilla, Intel has been "very quiet" about the performance of Arrandale's graphics core, but is telling partners that it "should end up faster" than the existing platforms. Exactly how fast that is remains up for debate. While they may be faster than Intel's previous offerings, Apple has since moved on to NVIDIA-based chipsets which offer much faster graphics performance. The news of Intel's plans, however, have taken on more importance, as it's unclear if NVIDIA will be able to offer its own chipset designs to support the Arrandale processors due to an ongoing licensing disagreement.

Apple, of course, is free to add-on discrete graphics cards to its designs, though this is typically reserved for its high-end models due to the additional cost. Meanwhile, Intel is prepping a separate project (Larrabee) that promises to boost graphics performance dramatically and is slated for launch in 2009. Apple is said to be planning on utilizing Larrabee in the future, but in exactly what combination of hardware remains unknown.

MacRumors readers "waiting for Arrandale" have been organizing in this thread.

Article Link: Intel Promising Faster Integrated Graphics in Next Laptops, But Fast Enough?

2. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

They just upgraded them, can we just chill for a moment? Yeah I know tech moves fast, but before you know we are gonna see upgrades every month :eek:

3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I can't wait to see the Arrandalle in the next Mac line.

4. 50548 Guest

Truer words couldn't have been said. I don't know what is more stupid: Intel's codename policy itself or the morons that follow it to the letter, always announcing to the world that the next advances will be "spectacular" in comparison with the previous "generation" of overhyped chips...NOT.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Too much hype over an Intel graphics release. *sigh* when will Intel learn it can't go against nVidia or ATI? Just stick to making processors and motherboards and those killer SSDs and you will be fine.

6. syklee26 macrumors 6502

that's like 300lbs fat boy losing 150lbs and expect him to beat Usain Bolt.

7. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Anyone else feel a slight chill down their spine? :eek:

This news from Intel is like an asthmatic snail announcing it's quitting the smokes.

8. 50548 Guest

So, how many STUPID Intel codenames are mentioned in the article? I lost count, sorry.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

"graphics performance of the integrated graphics in Intel's next-generation mobile processors will exceed the performance of the current Intel mobile platform"

Next-gen hardware to be faster than current-gen? Who'da thunk it! :D Just wish Intel would Learn To Stop Worrying and Love Nvidia.

10. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

I suppose its good for Apple that they will have a choice of what to use. I think it may be a while before we see anything though after the recent bumps.

11. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

That might attract a bit of flak about anticompetitive practices...

Esp. since the consumer is usually the one hurt... (Yes, yes, I'm suffering from Intel's Integrated chipset...)

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

13. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

totally. "but will it be fast enough?" probably not.

14. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

While Arrandale are mobile they are not the only mobile Nehalem era processors. Before Intel's recent announcement about i3, i5 , i7 branding
    ( http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10266536-64.html ) and the release of the Xeon class Nahalems it was casual to refer to Nehalem era processors as 'i7' because that was the only one out at that time (as hot running desktop oriented offering). Arrandale is not going to be i7 in the current context/branding. More likely i3 (maybe i5 but doubtful. ).

There is an i7 branded mobile processor but that is codenamed Clarksfield. (quad core). This should arrive before Arrandale since they've already been demoed (http://techreport.com/discussions.x/17012). Just like the quad core Peryn didn't show up in Macs (beside the Mac Pro), not very likely the quad core i7 will either.

The next generation that has similar power/thermal aspects for these form factors. The chip labeled this fall as "i7 mobile" will most likely be too hot (and doesn't have integrated graphics).

15. pika2000 macrumors 601

LOL. Yeah, anything will be faster than the GMA950. :rolleyes:

16. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

All I can say is - in the short time I've been using it, I've been impressed with the 9400M chipset's performance. Intel has some significant ground to make up.

17. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Yeah when they say existing solutions do they mean their own or somebody else's? Its not much of a stretch to beat their own, but there is a significant gap between their own graphics and ATI/nVidia. I doubt moving the graphics on to chip would close that gap.

18. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Not really. It is primarily a dispute over what did or did not already pay for. Intel is willing the license for more money. Nvidia says they already bought it when they licensed southbridge stuff of previous generation and the associated North-Southbridge interface called DMI.

It seems as though Intel is being a bit swarmy and wants folks to license QPI + DMI as some separate package deal.

Nvidia will be boxed in badly though if they don't have QPI.

So is Nividia repaying for DMI as second time or can get a discount for that and get QPI at a more reasonable price? Or does Intel gets to double dip or just price QPI so unreasonably so that nobody will buy it?

Intel wins anyway if eventually caves because if can throw FUD on Nvidia's efforts (and stop design wins for Nvidia) for several months that is all the head start they need.

But yes.... it is wasted money on lawyers that ultimately consumers will have to eventually pick up the bill on.

19. firegun9 macrumors newbie

Intel, stop deterring the development of integrated GPU.
    Let it go.

I doubt they'll have integrated GPUs outperforming Nvidia 9400m until mid 2010. We'll probably be forced to accept a poor GPU with the new CPU.

20. pdeli macrumors newbie

To me it would makes sense

Having an integrated graphic chip built-in the processor for mobile and/or light graphic usage and the discrete/dedicated on-board graphic chip for tethered/heavy(ier) graphics processing power...

a little bit like today's MBP 15" and 17" with a the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and its integrated memory use, yet separate graphics chip and the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor with 256/512MB of GDDR3 memory...

to me it would make sense. less space, perhaps less power than having two separate GPUs and the setup would finally fit a 13" MBP.

What do you think?

Cheers all.

21. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I have no idea what any of that means....but yeah I like more speed. Keep it coming.

22. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

23. mcnaugha macrumors member

mcnaugha

Thank God at least one poster has more of a clue than the author of this article. Why oh why are Mac sites so crap with understanding the Intel product roadmaps and codenames??? Sweeping statements made that are completely WRONG. Arrandale is nearly NOTHING like the Mac Pro Xeon processors. Sheesh. Anyone with even the slightest clue knew that Clarksfield (45nm) Quad Core is the Mobile variant of the processors found in the Mac Pro. Arrandale (32nm) DUAL core is a whole other leap beyond Clarksfield based on a dramatic process shrink and the integration of a GPU. You are unlikely to see a Xeon with an integrated GPU EVER. Clarksfield is aimed at the high-end Mobile market and Arrandale is mainstream/value market.

I for one will be extremely disappointed in Apple if it doesn't use Clarksfield in MacBook Pro and iMac. Arrandale is a MacBook-level processor IMHO.

24. Hattig macrumors 65816

Well Larrabee initially is going to be a bulky hot beast, so it won't be suitable for laptops.

Maybe they could create a variant 1/4 of the size, running at half the speed. But that's going to be a fraction of the performance of a Radeon 4770.