Interesting threads displaying trending iPhone (semi) discontent

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jun 30, 2012.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I have been a member here on MacRumors since 2007 and I can't remember a time that I've seen as many posts and discussions regarding the possibility of straying from the iPhone. Just look at the threads up now. A lot of talk about iPhone vs. the Galaxy. iOS vs. Android (and Windows). Talk about the Nexus and other smartphone options.

I have to admit, I'm starting to think about jumping ship too (I'm test driving a Lumia 900 now. I like it but still lean slightly towards my iPhone 4...but I digress). The Galaxy S3 look mighty sexy. I'm still waiting to see what the iPhone "5" shapes up to be but, if it's essentially a longer (4 inch) iphone with LTE, I'm gonna have to give some serious thought to alternatives...something I would have NEVER done even a year ago. I've had every iteration of the iPhone and used nothing but an iPhone for the last 5 years.

I'm a major Apple fanboy (friends and family actually tease me about my Apple obsession) so it's tough to admit that the iPhone might be falling behind a bit. That is my personal impression of course.

I do realize that my observations are purely anecdotal but, it just seems that I'm not the only Apple nut feeling this way lately.

Damn, the S3 IS pretty sexy. I'm rooting for an awesome new iPhone in a few months though. I hope. :)

2. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I agree with you on some parts. I feel the growing number of people on this forum who are looking elsewhere are doing so because other phones are getting better and better. I am a fan of Apple, but I'm not one who can't admit that Samsung is making some pretty impressive devices. For me, the software of Android has come a long way, but it's not where the polish of iOS is. I also know with my iPhone when iOS 6 comes out, it's getting the new software at the sme time every other device is. With Android, you have to wait for the manufacturer to release a timeframe, and then for carriers to test and etc. I also know that Android is coming a long way with their apps, but some apps just aren't available or aren't as polished as I'd like them to be.

I'm happy Android is getting to where it is, great hardware and software that continuously gets better. Competition is the best thing in the technology world. But again, I agree that more and more iOS diehards seem to be looking at the other phones with some interest. For me, I just am way too invested in the iOS ecosystem to leave at this point. And everyone always comes to me with their questions or problems with their iPhones, iPods and iPads. So I have come to the conclusion it is just expected of me to own an iPhone.

3. 404 tech junkie macrumors regular

The problem as I see it is, by the time the next iPhone comes out, it will be just catching up (or trying to) to the Galaxy SIII. In the meantime, the next Nexus phone will be getting released around that same time which will surpass the Galaxy S3, and consequently the next iPhone. With what we know about iOS6, we know there isn't anything groundbreaking about it. It's really just more playing catch up from Apple, and that's exactly what the next iPhone will be.

----------

I agree with you that people are looking elsewhere due to them realizing that many competing phones had surpassed the iPhone. In the past, even though there always had been phones that were better than the iPhone, I think many people had been turning a blind eye to it. But with iOS6 and iOS5, the lack of innovation and the purposely withholding updates (to put in iOS in the next update), it has made it increasingly hard to ignore the progress of competing phones. As long as Apple continues the small incremental updates, and not being innovative, I think more people will begin looking elsewhere.

4. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I got my iPhone 4S 16 days ago and it is now in the hands of an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Because of the large battery drain in the airplane mode, I am already thinking about going back to an Android phone.

5. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

People considering Android right now is perfectly understandable. Two main reasons IMO. Apple is most likely going to make us wait 28 months from the iPhone 4 debut to the redesigned iPhone. That's a long time in the tech world. Much to the iPhone's credit, it still keeps up with even the latest flagship devices being released right now (screen size aside). But at the same time, I know I speak for many who are eligible to upgrade their phone and wish we could get the next iPhone this summer versus this fall. So that in itself opens up a window to the competition.

Secondly, Android has made huge strides since ICS hit the market. As an OS, it's a huge step forward compared to Gingerbread. Slowly, the hardware is catching up too. The Nexus and SII were big hits. The One X is a flawed device but packs the best screen on the market. The SIII appears to be a big hit so far. Google Play is a huge improvement over the Android Market. Jelly Bean is another solid step forward. Android is serious competition and it will only get stronger with respect to hardware. (Even the Nexus 7 looks awesome.)

Honestly I think you'd see a lot less talk about wanting to move to Android and other competition on this forum IF the next iPhone had been released this month or IF it were coming for sure this summer. I'm confident that once the next iPhone hits the market, this section of the MRF will be filled with threads praising the 'new' iPhone.

6. 404 tech junkie macrumors regular

I think you're right. Apple seems to be taking their consumers for granted, as if they're the only game in town. In the meantime, phones like the Galaxy Nexus, One X, and Galaxy S3 have come out and continue to raise the bar. The One X is a solid device. The Galaxy Nexus is going to get a big jump forward next month with the Jellybean release. The Galaxy S3 even without Jellybean still runs EXTREMELY smooth, and picks up where the GS2 left off. Then by the time the next iPhone is released, that will be around the time the next Nexus is released too. That will be additional competition for Apple. I think Apple taking their customers for granted would be a big mistake, just ask RIM..

7. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I think that the iPhone has passed its most glorious time and has started to go downhill. I am sure that Apple's share of the mobile phone market will certainly decrease. In a short time, the iPhone will become just one of many well-built phones.

8. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Apple knows that they have some serious competition, and they most certainly have the resources to surpass it all. Don't throw down iOS quite yet, because the next iPhone is probably going to be pretty sexy.

9. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I've been keeping up with the iPhone since day one reading forums and news and rumors and I have to agree with you, the competition is finally starting to catch up a bit and I've never seen so many threads about people possibly switching over to another platform FROM the iPhone.

Usually it's the other way around.

I also have to agree with you that the S3 really is an exciting looking device and I've daydreamed about what it might feel like to make the switch. I think it would be kind of sad if Apple doesn't really make any major changes to the new iPhone because I would probably seriously think about moving away from the platform.

I don't have a Mac or an iPad, I just have a Windows Laptop and an iPhone, so it's not like I'm caught up in some ecosystem with all my devices.

I really hope Apple answers back this fall and put's any worries to rest so we can snap back to our senses and not forget that Apple is king in this game. ;)

10. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

And I truly hope that it is. I really don't WANT to leave the iPhone. But, based on the evidence we've seen so far, we're looking at a phone that looks pretty much just like the iPhone 4 but with a 4 inch screen. iOS, at this point, seem like it will be aesthetically the same as it always has been. Not good (for me, at least).

With that said, I do take the "spy" photos and evidence with a grain of salt. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised and sucked right back into the Apple vortex!

11. 404 tech junkie macrumors regular

I have to disagree. I think the next iPhone will sell, but it will sell because of hype. In the end it will run iOS6 which doesn't bring anything groundbreaking to the table, and still doesn't quite catch it up with ICS, let alone Jellybean. On the hardware side, it really doesn't matter what processor and GPU it runs, because in the end it's still iOS. iOS doesn't really require any tremendous amount of horsepower because of how it's designed. The most that will be exciting for iPhone fans will be an increase in screen size and perhaps NFC, none of which is particular much reason to celebrate. With what we know about iOS6, I don't see how the next iPhone is going to be all that "sexy". That's not me trying to take a shot or anything, it's just me being a realist. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's how I see it playing out.

12. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I don't think Apple is taking their customers for granted. My one serious gripe is that they are making us wait more than 24 months between redesigns. However, the 4S is such a big seller even right now and the next iPhone will be massive too as long as it has LTE and a 4" screen.

I do think the Android competition is very worthy however I still don't think there is an Android device on the market that is better than the iPhone. (Just my opinion here.) Personally I find Amoled screens to be a serious step down from IPS and until we get an Android device rocking an IPS screen and without the issues of the One X, then I won't personally conceed that a 'better' phone per se is on the market. Keep in my that's just my take and let me spare anyone from rushing to reply that the SIII and other devices have LTE, large screens, blah blah blah. I get it. I'm just personally expressing my view on this one and I do think many others agree. That's why I'm so jazzed up about the LG Optimus LTE2. IPS, ICS, LTE, etc. Has a ton of potential.

Honestly, I don't think Apple really needs to worry. They know how strong the competition is or is not. I don't think the marginal update of iOS 6 is anything to fret about. Jelly Bean looks great too but I'd say that's simply a better version of ICS. Ditto iOS 6 to 5.

Like I said before, a 4" iPhone screen plus LTE plus potentially a better backing is going to be a huge step forward and an enormous hit.

----------

A 4" iPhone screen is a big deal. It will be a big reason why consumers will upgrade or get their first iPhone. Ditto LTE. There is also a rumor that the next iPhone will be 7.4mm. That's a crazy thin smartphone.

I feel it's a given that the next iPhone will be a massive if the rumors are true.

13. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Intentionally small incremental updates, while good for not shocking the million+ user base, is catching up to apple in a potentionally negative way. People are doing a lot more with their smartphones and thus are expecting and demanding more from them as smartphones become ever more ubiquitous in every day life. Apple's model just doesn't offer that sort of flexibility that some people are seeking or beginning to seek.

14. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Also, I'd like to see some statistics on who is buying S3's and who is buying 4s's since the S3's launch, just using the S3 for example. I guess you could add the One X and maybe another in there as well that were recently released around the same time as the S3.

The reason this information interest me is because I've read too many forum post now that argue if Apple were to announce an event "date" for this fall that sales of the 4s would cease to exist because people would know that the new iPhone is on the way and not buy a 4s.

What about people that arent buying a 4s and buying Android devices instead? Isn't that essentially the same thing as cannibalizing sales with a product date announcement?

I know, I know, it's not Apple's style. Just sayin' I think Google's and maybe (dare I say it) microsofts strategy is pretty slick making announcements and releasing flagship devices pretty much directly after WWDC, especially since Apple didn't mention new phone hardware, even though WE all know it's coming with iOs6 right? That's 3 or 4 months free sales for Samsung and others with now comparable devices.

hmmmm

----------

Does it worry anyone that Apple has tried to block or hinder the sale of the S3 and the Nexus in the US?

Could Apple quite possibly not be ready to fight back this fall with something groundbreaking? :eek:

In my years of following iPhone news and rumors, I don't recall Apple going as aggressively towards others phone hardware, unless they actually did and the phones were so crappy I just didn't pay it any attention and laughed at the others thinking they had a chance. lol

15. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Queue the Android vs iOS debate lol

Seriously though, Apple needs to pull out some crazy surprises this fall. I've seen the majority of iOS 6. I've seen Jelly Bean. My unlocked Galaxy Nexus is already en route to me and I will be putting JB on it right when I get it. Google just spanked Apple this summer IMO. I'm not interested in anything in iOS 6. If anything, I'm more upset about them ditching Google Maps. A 4" iPhone simply stretched taller with LTE isn't going to make me buy it.

I love Apple products but that doesn't mean I have to worship them and use all their products exclusively. My 13" MBP is a joy to use, but for gaming I use my custom built PC. If I used a tablet it would hands down be the iPad. My phone? From what I see so far, I'd have to say I'm ready to jump to a Galaxy Necus on JB; and I'm sure the next Necus phone will be even better.

16. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'm not overly concerned with Apple blocking the Nexus in the US. I think it's corporate business as usual. They feel their device has been infringed upon and they're suing. Remember: This has not been tried in court yet. Apple has to put up a serious bond ($95 million I believe) in case they lose the trial. That money would make up for Samsung's lost sales in between now and when they get a verdict. I work in civil litigation and see this kind of stuff all the time. Believe me, BOTH sides feel that THEY are in the right and THEY are the righteous ones. Of course, a jury or judge will ultimately decide.

Regardless, iOS, even with its changes still LOOKS the same. I think, after 5 years with this, people are getting bored. We, the power users and geeks are aware of the upgrades and tweaks that make the OS better and more useful each time there's and update but the general public might simply view iOS as being the same for the last 5 years...because it LOOKS the same.

----------

This is EXACTLY my problem! I feel the same way. I wish I didn't, but I do.

17. 404 tech junkie macrumors regular

I think their intentional incremental updates illustrate their taking customers for granted. For example, iOS6 brings Facebook integration, why couldn't that be added when they added Twitter integration? It could have, they just simply didn't. Throughout iOS' existence, there are many examples of that exact same scenario. They just know their customer will still be there later, so they don't have to make the iPhone as good as they can.

I disagree, I think currently there are a few phones that trump the iPhone, but that's a different discussion entirely. As for IPS, I don't think it's on the same level as AMOLED. I much prefer viewing an AMOLED HD screen over the iPhone's IPS display. To be clear, I do think the iPhone has a nice display, but I feel there are better displays out there. For example, I think the One X, GS3, and GNex all have better screens. Of course this is a matter of opinion though, and again is a totally different discussion.

Not worrying is what got RIM to where they are today. No, Jellybean is not a major step forward and is a smaller update, hence why it's 4.1 and not 5.0. The more major release will come in the 4th quarter with the release of the next Nexus phone. You can't compare that to iOS because there will have been two Android updates this year, whereas Apple made their customers wait a year for an incremental/marginal update. In the same time, Google would have provided 2 updates. That's the difference.

A 4" screen and LTE is only exciting to a person who is strictly faithful to iPhone. In the grand scheme of things, 4" and LTE is a phone that came out more than a year ago. Not exactly anything to get excited about, and THAT is the exact reason iPhone fans are starting to look at other phones. It will definitely sell, but there will also be a segment of people that will not be wooed by adding what in today's market would be considered very basic additions. In today's market a 4" screen is still small. For example, compare the browsing and multimedia experience on the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus S. They both have the same OS but the experience is much better on the GNex due to the increased screen real estate. My uncle who has had every iPhone up until the launch of the 4S, refused to buy the 4S because it wasn't a significant enough upgrade over the 4. Now, he wants to buy my GNex, or he may use his upgrade on a GS3, because he's tired of waiting on the release of the next iPhone, and he doesn't believe it's going to add anything major (in comparison to the competition) when that release comes. He's not alone, there are a number of people who are in the same boat.

18. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

The S3 IS sexy, I am enjoying the hell out of it but do admit to not being happy about PvZ not supported and bejeweled blitz... Two of my fave go to games.

19. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

PvZ not supported? That could be a deal killer for me! My fave game.

20. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

Go with what you feel will work fo you

I'm sticking with the iPhone because it works for me. I have never had any issues with any of my iPhones and it run so smooth and apps rarely crashes. I just don't know what more I need it to do, if anything I would like to have unlimited data but that's not the iPhones problem. Now would I like a bigger screen? Sure but not 4.8".

I think you go with what fits your life, I like my Apple products. I am a graphic artist and work on the Mac so it just seems to fit with my life. I also have the AppleTV and love AirPlay plus I have the iPad so most of the time when I buy App it works with it too. I do jailbreak so I do get more than the non-jaibreaker and enjoy messing with tweaks.

But I definitely know there are other great phones and some beat the iPhone in certain areas but those certain areas aren't worth switching for me. But if it is for you, go for it, new toys are fun but just weigh the pros and cons.

21. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Along the line of thinking which goes like this "all things are relative", I say yes, for Apple a 4.0" display is significant. Yet when one steps out into the mainstream, it's the smallest of all top of the line premium phones which are now equipped with 4.65" to 4.8" displays. Thus Apple is still behind.

Let's remember it's a "Smartphone" therefore display size is more important, than if it were just a feature phone.

Right now, as of this minute, I'm using two phones.

1) The iPhone 4S with it's 3.5" display
    2) An HTC One X with it's 4.7" display

Of the two, the HTC is a far better smartphone for _my_ needs.

I wish I could say that about Apple, I truly do.

22. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I don't think we've seen all of iOS six. I expect some pretty major features to be new iPhone exclusive.

23. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Please don't take this as a trolling question, as I have never used an HTC device, but I have read that the HTC built in such agressive memory optimization, that apps get deleted from memory immediately after you switch to another app, basically defeating the purpose of multi-tasking.

Is the fix out for this yet? Is it easy to install? If you have the fix, does it actually "fix" the memory management issue?

I am just curious. I suppose I could just google search, but I prefer to hear from an actual owner of the device that has gone through the issues of their personal phone. Thanks in advance. Again not trolling, just very curious.

24. Vegastouch, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

:confused: That didnt stop me. I just tell them that i havent used mine in a long time so i dont know whats new. I can understand the investment in the ecosystem of iTunes and other devices but it just looks like Android is steamrolling ahead (rumors of 5 different Nexus devices in Nov. one for each carrier)and with JB....it seems they have nailed it with the no lag at all and buttery smooth system. In fact i saw a video on the Google site showing their newest Nexus devices and they said they "declared war on laggyness".
    Here is the video talking about that in the new Nexus 7 Tablet section.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb&feature=device-featured#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDIwMiwibnVsbC1mZWF0dXJlZF9kZXZpY2VzX1VTX18yX3Byb21vXzEzNDA1MTg5NjUwMzYiXQ.."]https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb&feature=device-featured#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDIwMiwibnVsbC1mZWF0dXJlZF9kZXZpY2VzX1VTX18yX3Byb21vXzEzNDA1MTg5NjUwMzYiXQ..

----------

They are still behind the GS3 even with iOS6. Seriously behind if you ask me when you figure in Jelly Bean. That OS is awesome with all they added. Just the 4.1 update to JB from ICS is more of an upgrade than iOS6 is imo.
    Its really too bad. Apple just sticks to their one year releases and it is hurting them right now. Im sure the new iPhone with the 4" display(if it in fact gets one) will be a huge seller. But as some have said, 4" is a big step for the iPhone but it is still small compared to the others. How much that will figure in to consumers is unknown but i predict if a 4" screen is to come, it will sell big.

25. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, fragmentation is still Android's biggest problem.