Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Shouldn't Apple make sure all their first world customers in the United States are able to get an iPad before rolling it out in third world countries?

So there's only one country in the world huh? Economically well 15 trillion in government [Bushes 11 and Obama's 3/4] debt and many times that in public debt, do not make a country the first of the world :D

But Apple still finds more iPad customers than it can supply :D

And the same applies for here in Oz... We got country and western :D

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I am sorry if people misunderstood me. When I said First world and third world, and I meant good and bad. Like first world should get the phone first because it is the best, and most deserving.

Third world being countries that don't know how to develop things like magical pads and amazing phones.

In all seriousness though, it was just a gentle jab, as I know how sensitive some people can be... and no harm was actually intended by it.

GollumBoy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2010
Chesterfield, UK
dont get me started on dixons or pc world or who ever there tied too. Bought my orginal imac g5 from pcworld Worst service known to mankind then when something went in the screen they didnt want to know had to take it to an apple repair shop in chesterfield was not amused at how the staff at pc world sheffield acted or in this case denied all knowledge..

Must say the offer from 3 caught me off guard but hey guess apple is opening up the flood gates for when the iphone 4g comes along

We have an Apple repair shop in Chesterfield? lol

Yeah most of the useful features that we had to sell on a PC on WEH, I mean come on have you really found phoning TechGuys better than phoning AppleCare direct, and dealing with Equinux for repairs was a nightmare.
Anything to increase footfall in the stores, and I will say again for the 100th time so far, 60 days exclusive my backside, they dont. Simple as that, they might have it against Comet, Tescos and John Lewis, but there at least another 40 shops that will have it for launch.

Equinox did at decent job with my laptop, Citylink picked up early on and got Mac back within 2 weeks,
Never had to use technical support on mac side so unsure of the Techguys capabilities on that front.

I went for WEH because I'm clumsy :D

Tir

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
I have pre-ordered and my delivery notice says ready to ship... so air freight in a day and Friday delivered to my desk...
I already bought a couple of apps... :D

Congrats! You will love it.

You'll find that certain apps are better suited for the iPhone (like Seattle's OneBusAway app, or Shazam, are simply tailored for the iPhone), and others just scream for the expanded touch surface of the iPad. The apps will sort themselves out like this. Games really rock on it -- if the iPod Touch is a sleeper game console, then iPad is that in spades.

And like the iPhone, those apps makes everyone's device completely different from another's.

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Anyone going to the Sheffield Apple Store? What time are you planning on getting there?

My pre order won't arrive until 7th June. For the first time ever, I'm going to go and queue

streetkid

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
Three's prices look ok although a better deal would be to get their SIM Only Internet 1 month contract tariff at only £5 a month (Unlimited Internet subject to a 1GB fair usage policy).

I'm very disappointed that O2 isn't offering a true unlimited internet plan (without specified fair usage policies) like they're offering in Germany.

Yeah they have bumped £2.50 per month on top for the micro sim. Nevertheless it is a good deal.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I am sorry if people misunderstood me. When I said First world and third world, and I meant good and bad. Like first world should get the phone first because it is the best, and most deserving.

Third world being countries that don't know how to develop things like magical pads and amazing phones.

In all seriousness though, it was just a gentle jab, as I know how sensitive some people can be... and no harm was actually intended by it.

W/e

And allot of the "magical" phones etc are not made in America.....

MacManiac1953

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
East Sussex, England
I think it was George Bernard Shaw who said that America passed from barbarity to decadence without the intervening process of civilization. Whereas I can see the funny side of this little spat about 1st and 3rd World countries, it doesn't half make me wonder whether he was on the right lines.

:rolleyes:

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Do the 3 data plans include any access to wifi hotspots?

They don't usually. However, in my experience it's pretty rare to not get 3 3G coverage, even out in the sticks. I'm in semi-rural West Yorkshire and rarely get less than a 3G / 3.5G signal on my Nokia where people with Orange, O2 and Vodafone struggle.

I guess it'll also depend on how much of Nokia's aerial technology patents Apple's stolen for the iPad as to how strong a signal you get. :p

davemccourt

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010

As a UK resident I took it with a pinch of salt and found it quite amusing. You do know though, that Jonathan Ive the designer of 'magical' Apple things, is British?

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
I wonder if it'll be a similar deal to buying the iPhone with regards to support entitlement?

I bought my iPhone 3GS from an O2 shop, but when the battery stopped charging soon after purchase I simply walked into an Apple Store and got it replaced.

If all the after-sales care (handling replacements, etc) for the iPad can be provided via an Apple Store no matter where the device was purchased, then I don't have any objection to buying from PC World. But until that's confirmed, I reckon I'll be heading to Bluewater on Friday morning and telling work I'll be in late :)

Yes, an Apple Store will service (replace if needed) any Apple product bought from any store. You do not have to go back to the original store you bought it from, unless you need to return it. There are a few caveats to that (iPhone must be serviced in country of purchase for example) but none should affect the iPad

gathart

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Does the current crisis in the UK - job cuts, student fees slashed, needing to fund

more privately etc - will detere anyone from buying a relatively expensive tool?

I am certainly not buying one now....

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
more privately etc - will detere anyone from buying a relatively expensive tool?

I am certainly not buying one now....

Buying things stimulates economic growth. If people stop spending money then it will only make things worse

gathart

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Buying things stimulates economic growth. If people stop spending money then it will only make things worse

Oh absolutely I fully agree. But if you have to fork out £400+ and if you might need to pay extra tax/vat/insurance/school etc then it becomes more difficult....

I am warming up more to the iPad. Just financially....

MrCatMan

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
UK
On Sunday I received an e-mail saying my iPad had been shipped. Woo-Hoo! It invited me to track the order and suggested it would be delivered on Wednesday. That option to track has now been removed from the website.

Last night Apple took the money from my bank account and I have started downloading apps.

I wonder if today's the day or if they hold back 'til Friday. I hope not my wife is having IVF and we find out if we are successful on Friday!!!!

Wi-Fi and 3G 32gb for me. I can't imagine playing music on the iPad as I always have my iPhone on me or have iTunes at home.

32gb is enough for 2 weeks worth of films if you go on holiday.

Other than that I will be using it fors books, games and surfing with a bit of iWorks thrown in.

My favourite thing when being a couch potato is to surf when watching tv for things that are mentioned that I don't know about. The iPhone is good in this regard but I think the iPad will be perfect for the job.

MacBook for anything a bit more detailed, the iMac for heavy duty stuff and Apple TV for media.

Still a PC at work so for 10 hours a day sends me down to earth.

skiman

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
Hi Guys, I work for Three and have been using a three sim in my 32GB iPad 3G for quite some time now... Heres your options with us...

1 Month Rolling Contract Sim Zero With Internet Add On (2GB Useage Per Month) - £5 Per Month - This is a normal sim card, but all you need to do is cut around the edges of the plastic of the sim card and slot it in, it works 100% - Trust me, Ive been using mine for weeks and I was told this trick from an apple employee!

1 Month Rolling Contract - Micro Sim - 1GB - £7.50

1 Month Rolling Contract - Micro Sim - 10GB - £15

24 Month Contract - Normal Sized Sim (Cut to size) - 15GB - £15.

To be honest, the two best options are either the Sim Zero with an internet add on, or the 24 month contract with 15GB for £15. All you need to do is cut around the plastic and bingo... !! IT works... Tried and tested... If anyone is a doubter, I will post a video on youtube of my ipad, with a 3 cut sim card working...

Theres your options guys... Three are going to make a killing on this... Being honest, the Sim Zero with the 2GB add on is what I went for, Ive been using my ipad for a few weeks and used only 400mb...

Enjoy...!!

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
This is pretty good of Hutchison 3G, last I used them, they were offering 15 gig for £30 a month and that was on a 18 month contract!

Be warned though, it wouldn’t surprise me if you have to phone 3 to cancel your one month rolling contract though and their customer service is disgustingly pushy. It took me nearly half an hour of repeating "no, I would like to cancel my contract" while they repeated various deals to keep me over and over again and passed me from "manager to manager" Makes me angry just thinking about it.

Man, I'm going to have to leave my credit card at home on Friday! Temptation, thine name is Apple

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
My iPad not en route yet in France for delivery 28th

I ordered a 64GB WiFi iPad + camera connection kit and case, on the day European orders opened. It is showing as delivery due on the 28th but has not dispatched yet. Given that others showed as dispatched a few days ago, I am a bit surprised. I don't want to wait in all day on Friday just for it not to show up. If it is still showing as not dispatched by tomorrow afternoon, I will give the French Apple Store a ring. They are always very pleasant and helpful.

Wilson

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Not sure I could work for them

Dixons has not been sold. Dixons still operates from dixons.co.uk and under the company name Dixons Stores Group International (DSGi), and is the owner of Currys and PC World, not Comet.

Prices are better than they used to be and computers are reasonable prices too.
Not all staff are clueless and annoying, I pride myself to be a knowledgeable staff member at PC World.

Unfortunately my store isn't one of the 139 to stock the iPad immediately, however my local PCW will be.

Considering the amount PCWord charge for a USB cable or Ethernet cable I am not sure I could work there! My local shop sells a USB cable for 1/3rd of the £15 PC world charges and still makes £4 off each sale!!

I am with 3 for my mobile broadband and have to say I have had no problems - my girlfriend however has had nothing but issues with their customer service. I guess its a case of do you need support if it doesnt work!

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
Interesting how DSGi are trying to make out they are the only people other then Apple who will have the iPad on Friday when actually plenty of the Premium Resellers will also be selling it then, misinfo much?

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Is the Sim Zero With Internet Add On still available from Three? I'm not seeing it on their site.

If anyone can provide me with a link it would be appreciated.

Hi Guys, I work for Three and have been using a three sim in my 32GB iPad 3G for quite some time now... Heres your options with us...

1 Month Rolling Contract Sim Zero With Internet Add On (2GB Useage Per Month) - £5 Per Month - This is a normal sim card, but all you need to do is cut around the edges of the plastic of the sim card and slot it in, it works 100% - Trust me, Ive been using mine for weeks and I was told this trick from an apple employee!

1 Month Rolling Contract - Micro Sim - 1GB - £7.50

1 Month Rolling Contract - Micro Sim - 10GB - £15

24 Month Contract - Normal Sized Sim (Cut to size) - 15GB - £15.

To be honest, the two best options are either the Sim Zero with an internet add on, or the 24 month contract with 15GB for £15. All you need to do is cut around the plastic and bingo... !! IT works... Tried and tested... If anyone is a doubter, I will post a video on youtube of my ipad, with a 3 cut sim card working...

Theres your options guys... Three are going to make a killing on this... Being honest, the Sim Zero with the 2GB add on is what I went for, Ive been using my ipad for a few weeks and used only 400mb...

Enjoy...!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.