Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today we're debuting giveaways on MacRumors, a new feature that will see us partnering up with companies to give away products to our readers. You can expect to see giveaways from us on a regular basis throughout the year.

For our first giveaway, we've partnered up with Kero, a company that makes a few awesome accessories for iOS devices, like the Nomad Lightning Cable. The Nomad cable is a three-inch Apple-certified Lightning cable that comes equipped with a USB cap that attaches to a key ring or clip for portability.

If you've been a long-time MacRumors reader, you might recognize the Nomad, because we've covered it on a few occasions since it first originated on Kickstarter in 2012. There have been several iterations of the Nomad cable since then, and it now comes in three colors: white, blue, and gray.

keronomad.jpg
We're giving away 50 Nomad Lightning Cables. You can enter to win using the Rafflecopter widget below. You'll need to enter an email address, which we'll only use to contact you if you've won (your email address will never be provided to a third-party). Social media accounts are not required to enter the contest, but following us on Twitter or Facebook or subscribing to our newsletter can give you a chance for extra entries. You must be 18 or older to enter and located in the United States.

The contest will run from today (2/20) at 10:00AM until next Friday (2/27) at 10:00 AM Pacific Time, at which point we will notify the winners, which will be chosen randomly. Winners will be able to pick a Nomad Cable in the color of their choosing, and it will be shipped out for free.

Winners will need to respond to our email within 48 hours, or another winner may be chosen.

Article Link: Introducing MacRumors Giveaways: Win a Nomad Lightning Cable

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Worldwide reader base but only available in the USA...shame, oh well.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
damm US residens only :(

That's the reason I don't do these types of things in Denmark or Poland. For some reason they won't mail stuff to Brooklyn. D:

All jokes aside, could always use another lightning cable!

fzfpff

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
"You must be 18 or older to enter and located in the United States."

seriously?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'd imagine running any kind of such competition world-wide is a bit of a legal nightmare, so it's understandable. Still a pity though. This is why we need a European MacRumours.com!!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
At least now the companies are giving something back to MacRumours for all the years of nice advertising articles MacRumors have written.

And I'm glad these companies are willing to do this. Make a mutual deal out of it. And may the lucky ones win :) Not me, I'm not from the US but that's ok. Good luck all.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
We wish we could open it up worldwide, but we have to restrict it to the United States for legal reasons.

Every place has things such as this restricted to the place it's being done. I don't know why people get so shocked at this kind of thing... It's not like you guys are an international consumer electronics company or something... You guys just don't have the logistics for such a thing.

camsoft

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Brighton, Sussex, UK.
US only!?

Well done MacRumors yet more discrimination based on where you live. Last time I checked this was not MacRumors US, just MacRumors. It's not bloody hard to ship a small USB cable to Europe or anywhere else in fact.

It's funny how the widget will let you share, join mailing list spam your friends on Facebook to get a entry but won't actually give you the prize if you win unless you happen to live in the USA.

Not impressed. I can handle US centric content but not competitions, that's just not on.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Unfortunately, the U.S. only restriction is due to the varying laws covering giveaways around the world. Some countries ban them entirely, some require an element of skill, some require selection by chance, some have language requirements (looking at you, Quebec), etc.

In short, it's a legal nightmare to even attempt to comply with laws in all of these countries, and we simply don't have the resources to manage it. We really wish we could, because we know we have many loyal readers around the world, but it's just not feasible. You'll see similar policies on many other major media sites that do giveaways.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
People, read WildCowboy's comment.

Macrumors is doing a nice thing that they don't have to. Unfortunately, circumstances outside of their control limit their scope of giveaway. Don't blame them or complain, though I do understand everyone's disappointment.

Whether you're eligible or not, this is still a nice thing they're doing.

Maybe one day there will be more harmonious global rules, but right now they're doing the best they can.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Unfortunately, the U.S. only restriction is due to the varying laws covering giveaways around the world. Some countries ban them entirely, some require an element of skill, some require selection by chance, some have language requirements (looking at you, Quebec), etc.

In short, it's a legal nightmare to even attempt to comply with laws in all of these countries, and we simply don't have the resources to manage it. We really wish we could, because we know we have many loyal readers around the world, but it's just not feasible. You'll see similar policies on many other major media sites that do giveaways.

maybe you could send it to the international winners though personal channels.

warfed

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011

Yes, we all know Quebec sucks, you should open it to the rest of Canada :D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I have nearly zero interest in this, but that didn't keep me from submitting two entries anyways.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Well done MacRumors yet more discrimination based on where you live. Last time I checked this was not MacRumors US, just MacRumors. It's not bloody hard to ship a small USB cable to Europe or anywhere else in fact.

It's funny how the widget will let you share, join mailing list spam your friends on Facebook to get a entry but won't actually give you the prize if you win unless you happen to live in the USA.

Not impressed. I can handle US centric content but not competitions, that's just not on.

They explained the rules upfront, so it's not funny that the widget does those things at all. If you choose to enter after being told you don't qualify, that's your prerogative. And MacRumors doesn't owe you anything - that's nothing to be upset about.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Here we go with another bitter foreigner's complaining post without actually understanding the legal restrictions in place.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Here we go with another bitter foreigner's complaining post without actually understanding the legal restrictions in place.

Aye... Their countries over-regulate everything to the point where something as simple as this is difficult, and they are somehow surprised that MR can't deal with it? I for one, am shocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.