Introducing TenFourTrim - The Unofficial 10.4.12

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by z970mp, Aug 2, 2019.

1. z970mp, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019

z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s-tolerating-osx-starting-with-tiger.2112845/

Good news everyone! More has come!

A simple automated script has been built that optimizes Tiger out the wazoo!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After an exhaustive amount of research and trial / error, I've devised a script that effectively combines our collective findings to increase performance on Tiger thus far that automatically disables Dashboard, removes AudioIPCDriver, all modem kexts, redundant frameworks, relevant libraries, etc. at the cost of rendering several seldom-used and already broken applications nonfunctional (i.e. Sherlock, iChat).

From a fresh install, this results in a very noticeable speed increase in boot times, Finder operations, application launching, and other all-around usages. Not only that, I've noticed that it also may more than double uncached write speeds (unfortunately, this was not the case on my B/W G3), though other benchmarks remain largely unchanged. I've been testing the execution and aftermath on several machines for under a week now, and so far nothing has proved unstable or worse off since running it, but only more responsive overall. Theoretically, it should also work on Intel.

1.42ghz G4 Before:

before.png

1.42ghz G4 After:

after.png

On a 400mhz G3, TenFourFox launch times have gone from roughly 30 seconds to 24 seconds.
    On a 1.42ghz G4, TenFourFox launch times have gone from roughly 20 seconds to 10 seconds.
    On a 2ghz G5, TenFourFox launch times have gone from roughly 10 seconds to 5 seconds.

I've also included a reverser script that replaces everything TFT has removed, as long as the trimmings are exactly where TFT left them.

Needless to say, I think this is the closest G3 machines will ever come to Snow Leopard, at least in terms of optimization and compatibility.

(As a companion project, I've also made a custom prefs.js for Camino 2.1.2 specifically for speed and site compatibility; particularly useful for light G3 browsing.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

TenFourTrim and the optimized Camino builds / prefs.js have been added to Macintosh Garden. They can both be found here:

(http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/tenfourtrim)

(http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/camino-212)

Alternatively, I will also be offering TenFourTrim below as an attached file. Make sure to process the Read Me, as it contains all other relevant details.

Note: There will be a much larger difference if running this after a fresh install as opposed to an already manually optimized install.

Note 2: After running, please allow time for all of the system and application caches to regenerate, which for some configurations may sometimes take up to several days. Multiple reboots will not accomplish this, but sustained ordinary usage will. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Raging Dufus macrumors 6502

Raging Dufus

noooooooooooooooooooooo

upload_2019-8-2_15-34-41.jpeg

3. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

All well and good, but I still use my Dashboard widgets regularly (from Tiger to Mojave). Can I edit out Dashboard references from the script without wrecking it?
    If that's possible I'll give it a go on my G4 Pismo with 10.4.11

Thanks for the hard work :)

Cheers :)

Hugh
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2019 ---
    :D beat me to it :D

4. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

5. z970mp thread starter macrumors 68000

z970mp

6. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Thank you, will have a go tomorrow (getting late here in the UK).

Hugh

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

The only Mac I have running 10.4.11 is my G3 server. But it's running 10.4.11 Server.

Will this work on 10.4.11 Server or it it solely for regular Tiger (client)?

8. z970mp thread starter macrumors 68000

z970mp

It was designed for Client, but unless Server has any special components, it should be fine.

Worst case scenario, you could just run the reversal script and everything will be put back where it was.

9. ScreenSavers macrumors 6502a

ScreenSavers

I’m gonna have to set up the cube and try this. Thanks for your hard work!

10. backyardvoodoo macrumors member

I was hoping for a new Linux distro with suspend / resume support but this will do! Great work!

11. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Unfortunately, on a Pismo with G4 550MHz, 1GB RAM and 64GB SSD there wasn't much difference, even after several reboots to update caches.
    Boot time was no different, TFF took the same time to load and disk read / writes speeds were unchanged, so I have reverted to the original config.

Hugh

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

So…took a crack at this and it seems to be working. Will see how things go.

Took a while for the Mac to come back up after restarting. I assume it was updating caches. The problem I have is that I run my G3 headless so there is no way to tell what is going on once my VNC connection goes offline.

But it all came back up, I logged in and iTunes is running (shares my library) so all looks good.

13. Project Alice macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

My Beige G3 tower will be the perfect candidate for this!

14. reukiodo macrumors regular

reukiodo

Any plans for a TenFiveTrim for G4/G5s?

15. z970mp thread starter macrumors 68000

z970mp

We'll see... ;)

16. CooperBox macrumors 65816

CooperBox

Am I the only person 'across the pond' who had difficulty with the unfamilar expression wazoo?

17. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

Not at all!

18. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

That might be a little tricky considering users here have different opinions about what that would entail.

For instance, a TenFiveTrim to me might disable safe sleep and remove Spotlight. To you, that might be unnecessary and unwanted.

There are a lot more variables with Leopard.

19. Raging Dufus macrumors 6502

Raging Dufus

From the New Oxford American Dictionary included with the U.S. version of Mac OS 10.5 Leopard:

wazoo |wäˈzoō|
    noun informal
    the anus.
    PHRASES
    up (or out)the wazoo very much; in great quantity; to a great degree : he's insured out the wazoo | Jack and I have got work up the wazoo already.​

[Emphasis mine.]
    Makes me proud to be an American! :D

20. CooperBox macrumors 65816

CooperBox

Well, to me the phrase, "then we can build a simple automated script to optimize Tiger out the wazoo," makes fine sense in the context of, in great quantity or to a great degree.
    Your other ref (which I see confirmed by the Urban dictionary), however still has me foxed how that relates to very much/in great quantity/to a great degree.
    Makes me think of the following comment, 'England and America, two countries divided by a common language', often attributed to George Bernard Shaw.
    I'm sure GBS wouldn't have known his wazoo from his elbow. Makes me even prouder to be a Brit......;)

21. Raging Dufus macrumors 6502

Raging Dufus

This may help to explain the American usage of the term as anatomical slang. Or perhaps confuse non-Americans even further, I don't know, but for what it's worth:

22. z970mp, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019

z970mp thread starter macrumors 68000

z970mp

Aside from killing Dashboard, it would be a safer script than TFT. It will remove functionality of less, because more people with broader needs are using Leopard, and speed increases are typically more noticeable due to Leopard's larger overhead than Tiger's.

Although it will take a longer R&D period to refine.

23. AL1630 macrumors 6502

AL1630

I'll have to try this out on one of my Macs soon. It's really impressive what this community has done to keep our old PPCs relevant!

24. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

I'll try this out soon, but first, what breaks with iChat? I use it for Bonjour and Jabber with my Mac OS X Server around the house.