• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The combination of upgrading to iOS 10 and installing the latest carrier updates appears to be causing issues for some T-Mobile and Telstra customers in the United States and Australia respectively, crowdsourced information suggests.

tmobile.jpg

A number of T-Mobile and MetroPCS customers claim that once their iPhone loses service temporarily, the device is unable to reestablish a cellular connection unless it is fully restarted or network settings are reset. The issue appears to have started after the latest 25.1 carrier update on iPhones running iOS 10.

MacRumors reader GCHASE1995:
Anyone on T-Mobile that has done the carrier update to 25.1, have you been getting no service? I can't get service at all. I can get it, if I reset network settings. Then if I lose service I can't get it back.
Reddit user Hitokill:
I am in the same boat as many others. If I can stay connected to the LTE network the 25.1 update is fine. However, I work in a building with certain areas that have no coverage. Once I walk in those areas and lose signal, then walk to an area where I normally have full bars I can't get it back on no matter what I do (hard reset, Airplane Mode, etc...) The only fix I found was going into settings and Reset Network Settings. Totally sucks but that is basically what I have to do. T-Mobile rep said he did something on his end too, but didn't fix the issue when it came back.
Meanwhile, several Telstra customers in Australia report that Visual Voicemail no longer works after updating to iOS 10 and installing the latest carrier update. "I have no indication that a voicemail has been left and nothing shows up in the voicemail section," wrote one user. "Voicemails are definitely being left though."

It is unclear if Apple is aware of these issues, but they will likely be resolved in a future software or carrier update.

Article Link: iOS 10 Carrier Updates Causing Issues for T-Mobile Users in U.S., Telstra Users in Australia

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
A Telstra employee replied in that Whirlpool thread, confirming they are aware of it, and it's not limited to iOS 10.

Just a update – we've narrowed the issue down and it is not specific to iOS 10, we've found it on users with iOS 9 as well. Still working to address it.​

Comment

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Comment

kappaz

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Had this happen to me yesterday. Hit a dead cell spot where it went to no service and it would not reestablish a connection until I restarted the phone.

Comment

emm386

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2016
Now who's to blame here?

Apple is probably already "investigating". As usual. Something they prefer over testing prior to rollout.

And they will claim that only a tiny insignificant amount of users were affected. As usual.

Comment

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Has nothing to do with the Carrier Update for me. I'm on 25.0 and just as the story broke on Macrumors my service started getting wonky this morning.

Comment

ghsNick

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
This reddit thread is a little more up-to-date with people having this issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/52tj82/carrier_settings_251_issue_with_ios_10

To the T-Mobile users saying they haven't had a problem -- have you gone in and out of zones with no coverage? That's what seems to trigger this particular issue.
It happens to my wife in our house (because the roof makes it a dead spot?) so whenever she leaves and disconnects from WiFi she has to restart her phone. She has a 6 and runs iOS 10.

I have a 6s Plus in iOS 10 and don't have any issues when leaving my house.

Comment

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
What do these carrier updates even do?
To ruined your day! Their customers already suffered from spotty coverage, here's another way to stop them from using. I guess to clear out some bandwidth traffic so other could enjoy a little of better control connection. :rolleyes:

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
My iPad Pro that has a T-Mo SIM in it is on carrier 25.1 after upgrading to iOS 10. My iPhone 6 that has an AT&T SIM in it is on carrier 25.0 after upgrading to iOS 10. I don't use my iPad Pro for calling (obviously) but so far cellular data is working just fine. Admittedly, I have not gone to an area that did not have T-Mobile coverage as one person asked earlier in this thread.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Title is incorrect. This is not iOS 10-specific. It's strictly the carrier update that's at issue, which just so happened to coincide with the iOS 10 update. According to Telstra, this same problem affects iOS 9 users, too. It's the carrier upgrade that's buggy, not iOS 10.
[doublepost=1473950980][/doublepost]
Now who's to blame here?

Apple is probably already "investigating". As usual. Something they prefer over testing prior to rollout.

And they will claim that only a tiny insignificant amount of users were affected. As usual.

And you're quick to assume that it's Apple's fault, when it's actually a carrier update that's the problem. Does Apple create those, or do the carriers? (I honestly don't know)

Reactions: Brandhouse
Comment

dmdietz

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
This is happening to me. It won't automatically reconnect to the network after losing signal. I also updated through iTunes. I'm hoping T-Mobile rectifies this soon. I don't want to have to revert to 9.3.5.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.