Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I believe Apple is trying to get us ready for the removal of the Home button in it's entirety and loss of those huge bezels. Courage!

Yes I believe too! Holding phone up wakes-up and swiping left right enables phone /unlocking. Get ready guys to lose the Home button!

Reactions: DotCom2

cogitodexter

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Naaaaaaarfolk, England
My 6+ took a while to update and then for the next few hours was incredibly slow to the point that I was regretting it. Today however it's as fast and snappy as ever.

It turns out that the moment you update, basically all your apps immediately want updating too and the phone goes into overdrive. As I have some fairly big apps (a couple of satnav apps exceed 2GB each) it took a long time for the download and installation process to complete. Now that's done, the phone is a delight to use.

Moral of the story: if your phone feels like it's wallowing through treacle after you update.... give it a day or so. You'll be fine after it's done all its background housekeeping.

ike1707

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Apple loves early adopters, yet people here think installing a new update which breaks your phone is your problem and not Apple's.
Honestly, I installed it in the morning and had rolled my device back to 9 by the end of the day. I am tempted to skip this update. On top of a lot of it being fugly to me, they did away with some of my favorite features an iOS 9 as well.

RedPlanet

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
I tried updating this morning and after installing it required my phone to connect to iTunes and told me that it either needed to restore to factory settings or update back to 9.3.5. So I currently haven't been able to update -__-
Update iTunes, then it will not want to reset to 935 but to 10.0.1. From then on it will repair properly. I did with me...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Honestly, I installed it in the morning and had rolled my device back to 9 by the end of the day. I am tempted to skip this update. On top of a lot of it being fugly to me, they did away with some of my favorite features an iOS 9 as well.
Out of curiosity, which features are you referring to?

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
There are so many nice touches everywhere in iOS 10. I am really surprised that I like it this much. I've only been running it about 5 days, but I keep finding new treats that I forgot about. Examples: one touch unsubscribe in mail, transcribed voicemail, force touch to delete all notifications, faster pictures in messages, web link previews in messages. I keep finding fun new things -- very fun. Also, it seems faster in a way that's hard to describe.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
After the update started to crater for the OTA updaters, there was Apple Support Twitter telling those people that they should hardwire update through iTunes to resolve their disabled iDevice ... P!SS OFF Apple.

They're giving a work around to the solution, what did you want them to do tell you to buzz off?

You just want to be angry no matter what happens.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So slide to unlock is gone completely in favour of TouchID? That's going to suck this winter. I have gloves with a special pad on the index finger that lets me interact with my iPhone, but it obviously doesn't transmit fingerprints.
You can still press the home button, which is what it takes now.

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
I still use swipe to unlock occasionally. Let say you have your fat face fully into a drippy bbq sandwich. It's delicious, but all your fingers are greasy and you need to answer a call or check a stock or tweet or whatever it is you do. The greasy fingers won't work with Touch ID and you wouldn't want to touch your phone anyway. So you swipe-unlock using a non-greasy knuckle.

It's not too much of a change. Now, you use the non-greasy knuckle to click the home button again and enter your passcode. You just need to make sure not to click it too quickly to register as a double click and bring up Apple Pay.

Or in your specific scenario, if you have widgets for that stock or tweet or whatever, swiping would instead bring up your widgets so you can get the info without having to unlock in the first place.

Reactions: needfx and HiRez

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Married people won't like it if they don't know how to turn off all the information in the notification screen.
Why would they not like it? And none of this is really new as it was all more or less like this in iOS 9 and 8 and before essentially.
iOS8 was like Vista. All iDevices I have ended up being better on iOS9.
If you look at all kinds of iOS 9 threads you'd see a group of people that think the opposite when it comes to iOS 9 vs. iOS 8.

Apple's smoothest iOS in living memory.
iOS 6?

Anybody try the upgrade on a 4S? :oops:
Really?
[doublepost=1473879181][/doublepost]
It's not too much of a change. Now, you use the non-greasy knuckle to click the home button again and enter your passcode. You just need to make sure not to click it too quickly to register as a double click and bring up Apple Pay.

Or in your specific scenario, if you have widgets for that stock or tweet or whatever, swiping would instead bring up your widgets so you can get the info without having to unlock in the first place.
Assuming you have the Apple Pay shortcut enabled to begin with.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Waiting for my employer to approve it. iOS 10 crashes some of our internal apps. If history is any guide, it will be another couple of weeks. Of course, I'm getting an iPhone 7 so will be upgrading before we're ready to go. At least our internal apps are just for convenience (they replicate things we can do on our notebooks).

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Sensible.
Personally; I expect the adoption rate is partly because people want to get off ios9. If you're lucky/sensible enough to still be on a better version like ios8; the decision is much harder.

I still cry when I run my 4G touch that can only have iOS6. It's so clear what you should click on...what you can't click on...what's going to happen when you click on something... Sad.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Apple loves early adopters, yet people here think installing a new update which breaks your phone is your problem and not Apple's.

True, though I just got the update this morning before leaving for work and have to say I'm impressed as far as the OS itself goes - Solid, stable, no bugs, and my 6S Plus is even faster than it was on iOS 9. The new notification/widget screen is excellent.

I'm kinda mixed on the new Apple Music UI though.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If you look at all kinds of iOS 9 threads you'd see a group of people that think the opposite when it comes to iOS 9 vs. iOS 8.
Every time a new iOS is released, there will be people that claim the previous iOS to be better. When 8 was out, people were swearing that iOS7.
My iPhone 5 and iPad mini 2 lagged more when they were on iOS 8. 9 is better.
iOS 8 was released at the same time as Yosemite. Both were Vista. Yosemite is so buggy that I couldn't even recommend a Mac to anybody during that period. (thank goodness for El Capitan).

Suspended
Aug 28, 2016
So it's reasonable to expect adoption to hit 20% sometime today?

Marshmallow is on just under 19% of devices. So iOS passed a year old version of Android in under 2 days. I'm amazed people put up with waiting for months or even a year before they get updated.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Considering every iOS 10 device except the iPhone 5 has Touch ID and there's an option that lets you rest your finger on the home button to unlock, in guessing not too many care.

Maybe I just don't know the right crowd, but the majority of people I know who have an iPhone don't use TouchID....

I've spoken to a fair few people today during my job and *I swear* every single one of them hasn't liked the click for home addition.

I'm confident I (and others) will get used to it and within a few months I'll have forgotten what swiping to unlock was like!

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Every time a new iOS is released, there will be people that claim the previous iOS to be better. When 8 was out, people were swearing that iOS7.
My iPhone 5 and iPad mini 2 lagged more when they were on iOS 8. 9 is better.
iOS 8 was released at the same time as Yosemite. Both were Vista. Yosemite is so buggy that I couldn't even recommend a Mac to anybody during that period. (thank goodness for El Capitan).

A lot of people just dislike change. The issue is change is a constant, it's impossible to resist, it will overtake eventually.

Reactions: Playa!!

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Considering every iOS 10 device except the iPhone 5 has Touch ID and there's an option that lets you rest your finger on the home button to unlock, in guessing not too many care.
Actually, the iPad (4th gen), iPad mini 2, iPad Air, iPod Touch (6th gen), and the iPhone 5c support iOS 10, but do not have Touch ID.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Maybe I just don't know the right crowd, but the majority of people I know who have an iPhone don't use TouchID....

I've spoken to a fair few people today during my job and *I swear* every single one of them hasn't liked the click for home addition.

I'm confident I (and others) will get used to it and within a few months I'll have forgotten what swiping to unlock was like!

They're missing out then. A lot of apps now use TouchID to authenticate so there is no need to constantly enter passwords. TouchID is a HUGE thing for me and the group I know.

Reactions: TheDreaded26

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Agreed!

I was getting really pissed off at some of the members on here yesterday who were acting like it wasn't a big deal that the update sent a lot of peoeple's devices in recovery mode.

Like we should just suck it up. These Apple fanatics never want to make Apple accountable for the crap that they do.
There are mostly whiners and Apple haters on this site. They are ruining MacRumors.

Reactions: sinsin07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.