Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Aug 28, 2016
Waiting for my employer to approve it. iOS 10 crashes some of our internal apps. If history is any guide, it will be another couple of weeks. Of course, I'm getting an iPhone 7 so will be upgrading before we're ready to go. At least our internal apps are just for convenience (they replicate things we can do on our notebooks).

Your employer should have been testing their Apps the past 2 months while on the beta version of iOS 10, and especially the last week when the GM dropped.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Hmmm? According to David Smith IOS version stats, as of today;
Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 1.03.01 PM.jpg

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
I havent updated yet,should I? Iphone 6
I have an iPhone 6 and did an Over The Wi-Fi update yesterday morning and its working okay for me.

Last night I came across a bug with the Notes app yesterday though. When I made a sketch in an existing note the app crashed. Each time I tried to open the Notes app after that, it would crash. I went onto my Machintosh Notes app and removed the sketch from the note. I was then able to open the Notes app on my iPhone with no problems. I tried to recreate the issue this morning and could not. So all appears to be good.

I noticed that Apple has add the ability to annotate inside Photos. It has a really nice feature that when I draw a circle it will offer to auto smooth the circle as well as when I draw a line or square. I do wish Apple added that capability into the Notes app (it was a feature of the Notes app on my Newton 120 back in 1996).

Dwight1989

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
I have an iPhone 6 and did an Over The Wi-Fi update yesterday morning and its working okay for me.

Last night I came across a bug with the Notes app yesterday though. When I made a sketch in an existing note the app crashed. Each time I tried to open the Notes app after that, it would crash. I went onto my Machintosh Notes app and removed the sketch from the note. I was then able to open the Notes app on my iPhone with no problems. I tried to recreate the issue this morning and could not. So all appears to be good.

I noticed that Apple has add the ability to annotate inside Photos. It has a really nice feature that when I draw a circle it will offer to auto smooth the circle as well as when I draw a line or square. I do wish Apple added that capability into the Notes app (it was a feature of the Notes app on my Newton 120 back in 1996).
Is it relatively smoother than IOS 9.3.5? In regards to speed?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Your employer should have been testing their Apps the past 2 months while on the beta version of iOS 10, and especially the last week when the GM dropped.
Well, I''m guessing they were, which is why we got an e-mail an hour before iOS 10 dropped saying which apps wouldn't work. My guess is that they aren't particularly high priority items.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Why would they not like it? And none of this is really new as it was all more or less like this in iOS 9 and 8 and before essentially.If you look at all kinds of iOS 9 threads you'd see a group of people that think the opposite when it comes to iOS 9 vs. iOS 8.

iOS 6?

Really?
[doublepost=1473879181][/doublepost]
Assuming you have the Apple Pay shortcut enabled to begin with.
Nope

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Actually, the iPad (4th gen), iPad mini 2, iPad Air, iPod Touch (6th gen), and the iPhone 5c support iOS 10, but do not have Touch ID.
Well the market share for those devices is minuscule, and they won't support iOS 11 so it's not a big deal. We're talking about pressing a button vs swiping the screen, it's just an adjustment but it doesn't make it more difficult to unlock.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
That's better than Android N so far. Gotta give Apple credit for device support legacy. Solid 2+ years for many devices. But we have to think about the 2017 iPhone and wonder what will get the chopping block? 2-3GB RAM for flagships now, but who knows if it jumps to 3-4GB in 2017?

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
They're missing out then. A lot of apps now use TouchID to authenticate so there is no need to constantly enter passwords. TouchID is a HUGE thing for me and the group I know.

I personally use TouchID for everything except unlocking the iPhone. It's great though for all the apps and stuff. My banking app has finally added it too!

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
I personally use TouchID for everything except unlocking the iPhone. It's great though for all the apps and stuff. My banking app has finally added it too!

Oh wow, I actually had no clue you could bypass it at the lock screen. Never looked into it but that is nice!
[doublepost=1473880754][/doublepost]
Im going to wait for some reviews as to whether or not it's worth installing on my 5S or just wait for my 7+ to come with it preloaded.

Depends on when the 7 is coming for you. Ars Technica has given it a very good review even on the iPhone 5.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/09/ios-10-reviewed-theres-no-reason-not-to-update/

As you can see above, this review even goes as far to say no reason not to. Granted that is one reviewer, but iOS 10 seems to have made reviewers happy so far.

wowser21

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
Honestly, I installed it in the morning and had rolled my device back to 9 by the end of the day. I am tempted to skip this update. On top of a lot of it being fugly to me, they did away with some of my favorite features an iOS 9 as well.

I installed it on my work iphone but have not (and probably will not) update my personal phone. I loved iOS9's Today view with the transparent background and also the Today/Tomorrow Summary. I think the new white widget bubbles is a step backwards (Android did the same thing and i hated it).

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I still use swipe to unlock occasionally. Let say you have your fat face fully into a drippy bbq sandwich. It's delicious, but all your fingers are greasy and you need to answer a call or check a stock or tweet or whatever it is you do. The greasy fingers won't work with Touch ID and you wouldn't want to touch your phone anyway. So you swipe-unlock using a non-greasy knuckle.
To be honest, in that situation I'd probably just not check that stock or tweet until I was done with my food (because, you know, that sounds delicious). I'd also probably ignore most phone calls, unless it was an urgent call I was expecting, in which case I'd probably let it ring while I wiped my fingers off on a napkin because I'd have to finish chewing that bite of sammich. Nobody wants to hear that.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
This is based on the user base for his Audiobooks app. This isn't a good indication of early adoption for iOS.

I'm always at a loss for when people question stuff and then supply data like this. I mean .... did they not stop to think for a split second?

citysnaps

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Well, that is your opinion.
There are also plenty of people losing their personal data like pictures/videos when their iPhone breaks/get stolen, without a backup, that is stupidity, same like updating any OS when you have important things to do, need your device badly, it shouldn't happen that a device gets "bricked" (I Agree) but the fact is, it does happen once in a while, it's software made by humans.

Agree. And the real measure is how fast Apple dealt with the situation.

Still astonished some people think that even after extensive beta testing, that somehow guarantees there will be zero bugs/issues that slip through when 10s of millions of people pound download servers at the same time.

Curious how Android OS updates have been working. Oh, wait a second...

Reactions: Flow39

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I'm extremely happy with iOS 10 and watchOS 3. They show definite performance boosts (so far) and add a lot of features that benefit the user experience.
[doublepost=1473882021][/doublepost]
According to Google's stats 18.7% of active Android devices are running Marshmallow, thus iOS 10 has not yet overtaken Android 6.
Tomorrow iOS 10 will overtake it and be at 20%.

Reactions: KPOM

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's better than Android N so far. Gotta give Apple credit for device support legacy. Solid 2+ years for many devices. But we have to think about the 2017 iPhone and wonder what will get the chopping block? 2-3GB RAM for flagships now, but who knows if it jumps to 3-4GB in 2017?
My guess is that they will drop the iPhone 5 and 5c but leave the 5s in iOS 11. 64-bit will be the cutoff (so no iPad mini 2 or 4th gen-iPad).
[doublepost=1473882186][/doublepost]
According to Google's stats 18.7% of active Android devices are running Marshmallow, thus iOS 10 has not yet overtaken Android 6.
So the uptake is only about 300x as fast as Android, not 365x. :)

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
They do????

"I think if you're looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one?" -- Timmy

"Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people. They will start using it and conclude they no longer need to use anything else, other than their phones" -- Timmy

Reactions: justperry

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
"I think if you're looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one?" -- Timmy

"Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people. They will start using it and conclude they no longer need to use anything else, other than their phones" -- Timmy

It's likely a replacement for many baring any issues like this, but the fact remains the point of the comment was likely that some rarely/if ever do tasks that require a PC. My grandparents are some of these people, they don't want a PC but do own iPads. Anyways, it was a dumb comment in the wake of problems but that's how things go sometimes. They need to include a built in recovery mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.