Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
How is this TV app going to work? I have to buy an HBO subscription from within the app, or do I get the subscription directly from HBO and then activate it within the app?

You will subscribe to Channels directly within the Apple TV app. If you have an HBO subscription, you log in the HBO GO app which is external to the Apple TV App

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Does this TV App have a Store section? Would there be a need for iTunes Movies and iTunes TV apps anymore? since you can watch/buy/rent/subscribe all within the NEW App?

Also, are they showing Movies/TV Shows as horizontal rectangles now? or just within the new TV App.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Update: Apple today also released new software designed for the third-generation Apple TV, and this software adds the updated Apple TV interface on the older set-top box.

newtvapp3rdgen-800x519.jpg

Article Link: iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 Betas Introduce Apple's New TV App

Wow, I was just thinking this. If Apple is expecting the Apple TV App to work on TVs, then why not update older Apple TV's to support it too? I have a couple of these lying around.

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
I'd say my excitement about AppleTV+ ranks somewhere below my excitement about CBS All Access, which at least has some shows I'd like to watch but refuse to subscribe for. Apple is good at many things, but unfortunately one of them is bowdlerization, and I've had enough of that.
I subscribe to cbs a few months out the year. You can wait till the show you enjoy finishes a season then binge it over a month. I do this with hbo also. The good thing about a few services is that you usually don’t need an annual subscription and can drop in and pay it based on needs

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Does this TV App have a Store section? Would there be a need for iTunes Movies and iTunes TV apps anymore? since you can watch/buy/rent/subscribe all within the NEW App?

Also, are they showing Movies/TV Shows as horizontal rectangles now? or just within the new TV App.

Apple has been building up to this. The Movies and TV Shows stores are built into the TV App. You can buy a movie or tv show or episode directly in the TV App and it plays in there.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
Is Direct TV Now ever going to get the On Demand working reliably?
I hate the directtv now app I only use them because the channel lineup. However if it could integrate into apples app I’d be in heaven. They really need to improve the experience because I’m close to moving back to Hulu live
[doublepost=1553716356][/doublepost]
Wow, I was just thinking this. If Apple is expecting the Apple TV App to work on TVs, then why not update older Apple TV's to support it too? I have a couple of these lying around.
I have two in a draw they suddenly have a purpose again

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You will subscribe to Channels directly within the Apple TV app. If you have an HBO subscription, you log in the HBO GO app which is external to the Apple TV App
Isn’t HBO Go for people who have cable/satellite and HBO Now is standalone for those who don’t?
[doublepost=1553716817][/doublepost]
How is this TV app going to work? I have to buy an HBO subscription from within the app, or do I get the subscription directly from HBO and then activate it within the app?
Of course Apple hopes you will subscribe through the TV app as then they will then get a cut of that subscription. You can also subscribe directly from HBO’s website.

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA
Yeah even Netflix gets this right with profiles. The least Apple could do is have some kind of profile feature.

They do. Sorta. You can add multiple iTunes accounts to an AppleTV and switch between them (without having to sign-out/sign-in each time), and each Apple ID is in effect a unique “profile”. Have several Apple IDs in your official Apple ID “family”, add them all to the AppleTV, and you essentially have your family profiles. This switching must be done in the settings app, though, so it’s cumbersome and I would hope they make it possible and simple right within the TV app.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Clumsy456

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019
Can anyone please confirm or deny whether, directly through the new app, I can access (and watch) content from my family (Family sharing).?

Reactions: psykix

Innise

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
The icons for Apples services are getting really inconsistent.

Apple Music - An icon that represents the art form
Apple TV - Apple TV spelled out
Apple News - Neither, something weird

Reactions: seanrt and Dj64Mk7

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
I miss my videos app. I'm already bombarded by SUBSCRIBE TO THIS!!! nonsense in my iPod app... now Videos is next.

Apple apps have become some simple, they are now more confusing than ever.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
But which?

Probably the 100 most important ones. Probably not Tadzhikistan..
[doublepost=1553721932][/doublepost]
Apple TV 3 update?

I put it away as most of the apps didn't work anymore (Netflix, PBS, Fox Now).

I couldn't even log into my iTunes account...

Do they all work now?

Netflix or iTunes never ceased to work on the 3rd gen Apple TV. Don't know about the other two.
Perhaps yours wasn't on the latest software? But even on the 2nd gen, iTunes still works.

The only Apple TV that unfortunately can't connect to the iTunes Store anymore is the 1st gen from 2007.

Shinobi.313rd

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019

Earlier this week, Apple announced plans to debut an updated TV app in May, and as of today, that revamped app is available on the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV in a beta capacity.

The new betas of iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 both include the new TV app. The TV app is an updated version of the original TV app, housing movies, sports, news, and more all in one easy-to-access spot.

appletvapp2-800x445.jpg

Apple still has the "Watch Now" feature for keeping track of what you're watching, which is offered alongside a new machine learning-based "For You" feature that offers recommended TV shows and movies based on what you like to watch.

appletvapp-800x446.jpg

To make recommendations, Apple will pull content from more than 150 streaming apps, like Hulu, Amazon Prime, DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue, and more.

appletvapp3-800x448.jpg

appletvapp4-800x449.jpg

The TV app also has a new feature called Channels, which are subscription services that you can sign up for and watch all in the TV app without having to open another app. Some of the new Channels include CBS All Access, Starz, Showtime, HBO, Nickelodeon, Mubi, The History Channel Vault, and Comedy Central Now. During the beta, users can subscribe to Showtime, Starz, Smithsonian, and Tastemade.

appletvchannels2-800x447.jpg

appletvchannels-800x447.jpg

In the future, the TV app will house Apple TV+, Apple's new streaming service that will feature all of its original TV shows and movies.

Update: Apple today also released new software designed for the third-generation Apple TV, and this software adds the updated Apple TV interface on the older set-top box.

newtvapp3rdgen-800x519.jpg

Article Link: iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 Betas Introduce Apple's New TV App
Man Apple is just now getting features and programs that Google already had smh..... I don't understand how ppl say Apple is better but apple is always behind... .. Welcome to the future!

Reactions: mccaffertee

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Man Apple is just now getting features and programs that Google already had smh..... I don't understand how ppl say Apple is better but apple is always behind... .. Welcome to the future!
such as? What is apple just getting that google already had?
Apple often does it better. And without stealing and selling all your data.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Great. So I am expecting no ACTUAL iOS updates anymore.

What’s is an “actual” iOS update? Is this one a virtual update?
[doublepost=1553725495][/doublepost]

So you’re saying google won the “we released it first” trophy?

Yay!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
The biggest issue is no multiuser experience. TV Apps up next feature is great, but when many different people use the same Apple TV is gets cluttered, unorganized, straight up wrong recommendations if my wife watches an episode before I do, and just plain useless.

So in my case I don’t need the Apple TV app to recognize multiple users itself, I need it to recognize multiple users from the outside app.

For example me and my wife use Hulu and PS Vue, both of which have seperate user profiles. The TV app is not able to recognize these and so everything we both watch is combined and jumbled.

Also I haven’t seen this mentioned, but if you sign in with a cable provider like spectrum or a streaming service like PS Vue, are you able to see live tv within the TV app? Or do you still have to go out to the respective third party app for that

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
You can do this now. In settings it saves chosen iCloud accounts.

The biggest issue is no multiuser experience. TV Apps up next feature is great, but when many different people use the same Apple TV is gets cluttered, unorganized, straight up wrong recommendations if my wife watches an episode before I do, and just plain useless.
[doublepost=1553734391][/doublepost]It’s been that way for at least a year. It’s a one tap switch

Exactly This^

"Apple still has the "Watch Now" feature for keeping track of what you're watching, which is offered alongside a new machine learning-based "For You" feature that offers recommended TV shows and movies based on what you like to watch."​

I was going to ask: Who is You? Is ATV app now multi-user, keyed by distinct iCloud credentials? If not, other than one-user, one-ATV, You=All.

Just curious. Sorry if I am confused. (I use Roku sticks.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.