iOS 12 Changes Hint at Redesigned iPad Pros With Face ID and No Home Button Coming This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is rumored to be working on a new high-end 2018 iPad Pro that is said to adopt many design elements from the iPhone X including Face ID and the removal of the Home button, and several changes newly discovered in iOS 12 appear to bear out those claims.

As reported by MacRumors yesterday, Apple has tweaked iPad gestures in iOS 12 to bring them in line with gestures on iPhone X. For example, swiping up from the dock brings up the Home screen, as it does on iPhone X in lieu of a Home button.

[​IMG]
    iPad Pro with Face ID mockup by Carlos Guerra

Similarly, users now swipe down from the top right of the iPad to bring up Control Center, rather than swiping up from the bottom. This action was originally introduced in tandem with the iPhone X's notch, which houses Apple's advanced face detection sensors and leaves an "ear" on either side of it.

Likewise, status bar changes to accommodate a possible notch can now be found in iOS 12's iPad interface - the time, day, and date are located on the upper left hand side of the screen, while the right displays the current Wi-Fi/LTE connection, Bluetooth status, and battery life.

[​IMG]

Of course, it's possible Apple simply brought over the gestural and menu bar changes to iPad to create interface parity across its iOS lineup, but it's likely Apple is paving the way for redesigned iPads widely believed to be coming later this year.

According to a November report by Bloomberg, the next-generation iPad Pro will feature slimmer edges, a faster processor, a custom Apple-built GPU, and a TrueDepth camera with support for Face ID. The new tablet device will reportedly do away with the Home button.

Well-regarded market analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also stated he believes new iPad Pro models set to be released in 2018 will come equipped with a TrueDepth Camera and will support Face ID. Whether Apple will adopt a notch for the TrueDepth camera and sensors or simply integrate them into the surrounding bezel remains unclear.

There was some speculation whether Apple would unveil new hardware during last night's keynote, but that didn't happen, and we're now expecting the next round of iOS devices to appear in the fall. In the meantime, stay tuned to MacRumors for more details on all the announcements at this year's WWDC.

Article Link: iOS 12 Changes Hint at Redesigned iPad Pros With Face ID and No Home Button Coming This Year

2. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

3. alex00100 macrumors 6502

It was kind of obvious last year when swipe from the bottom was introduced.

4. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

The new gestures really make sense on an iPad, looking forward to it.

5. BvizioN, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

That iPad render looks slik!
    I just don't see a notch happening on iPads. They would leave enough bezel on it to house all cameras and sensors because the bezel does not need to be as minimal as it is on the iPhone X.

6. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

In my opinion, the notch is fine on a phone but would be distracting on a large device such as an iPad used in landscape mode. If there is a notch hopefully it is only visible when using the device in portrait orientation or preferably not at all.

I will be very sad to see TouchID go. I’m still hopeful that one day they will surprise us with under the screen TouchID but I don’t like my chances anymore.

As for less bezels on the iPad... bring it on!

7. firewire9000 macrumors regular

8. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

The notch would be a huge distraction on the iPad.

9. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

10. Harvey Zoltan macrumors newbie

Harvey Zoltan

What about when your using your iPad in landscape mode which is how I use mine a majority of the time then the notch would be irrelevant to the new gesture. By the way the notch on the phone I don't have a problem with at all but on the iPad it really does look ridiculous.

11. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Can we please stop calling the top status bar a "menu bar" .... it's not a Mac, there is no menu there.

12. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I'm ok with the iPad not having the home button but please no notch!
    I understand it on an iPhone, but on an iPad they can just have a tiny bezel big enough to host the sensors they need and it would help handling the device as well.

13. BigMac? macrumors member

BigMac?

Yeah, it’s imminent, but what does the timeframe (later than WWDC) let suggest:
    - A11X when A12 is parallel released with the next iPhone
    - or both (iPhone 2018 and iPad Pro 2018) get the new A12 since „it’s so powerful“

14. LightElf macrumors newbie

LightElf

This may be the year I upgrade to a Pro from the Air 2.

15. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Agreed. There wouldn't be a notch, I'm sure of it.

16. fokmik macrumors 68030

like i hold my 10.5" ipad with no problems

And yes, no notch , the bezel will be the same thick like the iphoneX notch so around 1.5cm

17. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

This is the year I upgrade my Air 1 lol

18. syklee26 macrumors 6502

Is it going to be same size screen with smaller footprint or same size footprint with larger screen?

It better be the latter... I dont want to buy a new smart keyboard.

19. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I think the lack of iPad Pro at WWDC means it will get an A12X chip at launch. No point releasing 'the most powerful iPad ever' which is then overtaken bu a phone 3 months later as happened last year. I understand that the 1st gen Apple GPU in the A11 perhaps wasn't as fast as the PowerVR GPU in the A10X so there was less reason to delay the iPad Pro last year to get an A11X.

20. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

…which still has a bezel, even if it's somewhat slimmer.

21. Rjjcvb macrumors member

I don’t think the new iPad Pro will come this year.
    1. They’ve already released a new iPad this year
    2. They’ve only released the 2nd gen iPad Pro, 2 years after the first iPad Pro.

Would make sense they only release in 2019 with iOS 13 with some new iPad featured.

22. Gudi, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

Gudi Suspended

Gudi

I kinda like the new status bar with date and time on the left and hardware related statuses on the right. Why wasn’t it always this way? Now make landscape mode the default and turn the Apple logo on the back!

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

My problem would be if I used this to play games, watch Youtube, read books, browse the web, or even email. Accidental clicks happens enough with my current iPad. Maybe just have it lay flat on a desk and use 1 hand to tap it.

24. fatboyslick macrumors regular

If FaceID is implemented then they need to add the ability to store multiple FaceIDs.
    Many, many households share iPads. My wife and i for example do so and we each have our fingerprint stored on it

25. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I can’t see the bezels being that thin. I think they’ll be thick enough so no notch is necessary. Notch would look way worse oj iPad than iPhone.