Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wjcavalier09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Tennessee
I have been researching for the past hour on these forums and others to see if apple is going to be fixing the battery drain issues we all know about in iOS 11.. I see that they are focusing on speed and performance, but are they skipping to fix the battery issues?

Does anyone know and can confirm this?

Thanks

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I have been researching for the past hour on these forums and others to see if apple is going to be fixing the battery drain issues we all know about in iOS 11.. I see that they are focusing on speed and performance, but are they skipping to fix the battery issues?

Thanks

It is a beta still so cant really say. On my air 2 and X they both have pretty bad battery drain but like i said im putting it down to being a beta.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018

Thanks

I see from your signature that you're using a 8 Plus, correct? It would be great if you can tell us a little bit more about your usage that might help to find out what's the problem.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017

Thanks

My battery on my iPhone X was excellent ever since probably 11.2 and outstanding on my iPP 10.5 so I wouldnt' necessarily say "we all know about".

iOS12 has been great on my iPP but so-so on the iPhone X. Standby is great on both but using it seems to really kill it.

python0704

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2015
I experienced battery drain with the latest beta. Battery level decreased when charging my X with usb in car (not carplay port) and using waze and playing music via bluetooth. It didn't happen with last beta or IOS 11. I thought it didn't when I saw the battery low warning but it's actually charging. But this beta somehow consumes energy faster than getting charged.

lynchdavidh

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2018
New York
I'm running the most recent developer beta on my iPhone X and I haven't experienced any battery problems. Maybe Apple fixed some of the code.

However, in my experience, most iPhone battery problems are software-related, and a lot of the time it has nothing to do with version of iOS you're running. It seems like every time Apple releases a new iOS update, a handful of people experience battery problems.

This YouTube video includes 14 battery saving tips that help you optimize your settings to make your iPhone last as long as possible.

wjcavalier09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Tennessee
I'm running the most recent developer beta on my iPhone X and I haven't experienced any battery problems. Maybe Apple fixed some of the code.

However, in my experience, most iPhone battery problems are software-related, and a lot of the time it has nothing to do with version of iOS you're running. It seems like every time Apple releases a new iOS update, a handful of people experience battery problems.

This YouTube video includes 14 battery saving tips that help you optimize your settings to make your iPhone last as long as possible.

Thank you so much. I’ve been reading a lot of forums and it’s all mixed reviews but also read that iOS 12 beta 4 is the worst for battery life.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Without knowing what you are running for applications and what battery under setting says what is using battery it is difficult to determine whether you are having IOS problems or one of your apps is eating the battery up

Reactions: badatusernames

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What battery drain in iOS 11? Just because you read a few forums, doesn't mean there is actually an issue. People come to forums to complain, not praise. So naturally, more people will be writing about how bad battery life is, not how good it is. I have zero problems on my 8Plus on 11.4.1. I can get between 8-14 hours of screen on time, depending on what I am doing that day.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks

I've been running iOS 11 since early betas. First on my 7 Plus, then on my X when those came out.

I don't know about any battery drain issues with iOS 11 in general. 11.3 seemed to hit my battery a bit harder than normal, but 11.4 (or was it 11.4.1, I can't remember) alleviated those. 12 has been good for an early beta. Dev beta 3 definitely improved upon dev beta 2. I have no battery complaints.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Wrong. There have been buggy releases that drained battery more than normal. Take iOS 11 as an example, with so many updates released..
There’s is literally zero correlation between number of updates and battery drain.
[doublepost=1532787488][/doublepost]
Battery drain is fixed on iOS 12. iOS 11.4.1 has the issue.
As posted numerous times already in this thread. There is no battery drain issue of 11.4.1. If there was it would be on the front page of MacRumors.

Reactions: eoblaed

JokerPower

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
There’s is literally zero correlation between number of updates and battery drain.

Yeah, sure. That’s why there have been multiple complaints and dozens of threads on Apple Community about battery drainage.. indeed the situation improved with 11.4.1, but the fact still remains.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thank you so much. I’ve been reading a lot of forums and it’s all mixed reviews but also read that iOS 12 beta 4 is the worst for battery life.

Really?!? I’m finding beta 4 to be excellent in terms of battery. I think it has more to do with what apps you’re using.

I certainly don’t think you can say “as we all know, iOS 11 has bad battery drain”. Because not everyone is. I found ios11 to be Stella and usually ended the day with 60% with 5+ hours screen time

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

There are some people out there that will wail about battery drain on every release on every device ever, all the time, no exception. Every release is the worst ever, according to them.

I'm surprised our phones even have enough battery to boot up, given how iOS is supposedly constantly getting worse and worse and worse with battery drain.

It's hyperbole.

Really?!? I’m finding beta 4 to be excellent in terms of battery. I think it has more to do with what apps you’re using.

I certainly don’t think you can say “as we all know, iOS 12 has bad bad battery drain”. Because not everyone is.

Exactly.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What battery drain in iOS 11? Just because you read a few forums, doesn't mean there is actually an issue. People come to forums to complain, not praise. So naturally, more people will be writing about how bad battery life is, not how good it is. I have zero problems on my 8Plus on 11.4.1. I can get between 8-14 hours of screen on time, depending on what I am doing that day.

Yeah, sure. That’s why there have been multiple complaints and dozens of threads on Apple Community about battery drainage.. indeed the situation improved with 11.4.1, but the fact still remains.

See my above post. It explain everything you just said. There is no battery drain in iOS 11, especially iOS 11.4.1. My battery easily outlasts the "posted" time from Apple. People don't realize the little things that affect battery life cellular signal strength, leaving GPS apps running in the background and so-forth.

hrhansen

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
See my above post. It explain everything you just said. There is no battery drain in iOS 11, especially iOS 11.4.1. My battery easily outlasts the "posted" time from Apple. People don't realize the little things that affect battery life cellular signal strength, leaving GPS apps running in the background and so-forth.
no battery drain in 11.4??!.. I beg to differ.. my iPhone 6s turned into a battery draining monster when upgrading to 11.4.. getting 50-60% of the battery time I got before.. no additional apps were installed.. no change in usage, gps, apps or anything else.. It's a work phone so new apps are only very rarely installed... several friends and colleagues had the exact same experience.. so let's say: YOU did not experience battery drain, many others DO.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
no battery drain in 11.4??!.. I beg to differ.. my iPhone 6s turned into a battery draining monster when upgrading to 11.4.. getting 50-60% of the battery time I got before.. no additional apps were installed.. no change in usage, gps, apps or anything else.. It's a work phone so new apps are only very rarely installed... several friends and colleagues had the exact same experience.. so let's say: YOU did not experience battery drain, many others DO.

Let us take a trip back to common sense land...

If this were as big a problem as you claim where many iPhone users are seeing 50-60% drops in battery life, why haven't we heard about it from sites like this one? I mean seriously, these guys love to report on Apple's problems, if it were something this big it would probably have even been featured on sites like NYT, FOX, MSN, etc - Apple's problems = clicks for news sites which make their money through advertising - more clicks more profits.

Rule of thumb - If you are ever thinking "man there's a problem with my phone" and it hasn't made a headline - you're probably in the minority.

EDIT: Some spelling and formatting cleanup.

hrhansen

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
Let us take a trip back to common sense land...

If this were as big a problem as you claim where many iPhone users are seeing 50-60% drops in battery life, why haven't we heard about it from sites like this one? I mean seriously, these guys love to report on Apple's problems, if it were something this big it would probably have even been featured on sites like NYT, FOX, MSN, etc - Apple's problems = clicks for news sites which make their money through advertising - more clicks more profits.

Rule of thumb - If you are ever thinking "man there's a problem with my phone" and it hasn't made a headline - you're probably in the minority.

EDIT: Some spelling and formatting cleanup.

sure let.'s. here is some reality for you

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/10/s...-update-triggers-excessive-battery-drain/amp/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8423490

https://www.techtimes.com/amp/artic...tery-drain-problem-does-ios-11-4-1-fix-it.htm

there are MANY more.. read the comments and see that the stupid: restart the phone, restore the phone and the like.. does NOT work for the majority of users.

and why is it That if "only" 20% (a minority) experience the issue, then it's not an issue?.. it might be a minority.. but its A PROBLEM.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
sure let.'s. here is some reality for you

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/10/s...-update-triggers-excessive-battery-drain/amp/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8423490

https://www.techtimes.com/amp/artic...tery-drain-problem-does-ios-11-4-1-fix-it.htm

there are MANY more.. read the comments and see that the stupid: restart the phone, restore the phone and the like.. does NOT work for the majority of users.

and why is it That if "only" 20% (a minority) experience the issue, then it's not an issue?.. it might be a minority.. but its A PROBLEM.
I will point you to my above post: #9

If it was truly an issue, we would know about it and Apple would have addressed it by now, almost 2 months later. The more likely issue is your phone battery. Your claim of 50-60% less battery life is absurd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.