Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Can confirm that iOS 12 is just as disastrous on my iPhone 6s and iPhone SE as 11.4 was. Battery drains incredibly fast. Had zero problems on 10.3.3. My wife and daughter have the same issue on their 6s and 6 respectively.

I can literally watch the percentage meter drop in real time. Sometimes it’ll hold steady for 5 minutes then drop in chunks of 3 or 4 percent.

On 10.3.3 I’d make it to 6pm with heavy usage. With 11.4 I have to charge by noon with almost no exception.

iOS 12 is new but is exhibiting the same precipitous drops in battery even as I type this.

Of course your battery life was better on ios10. Your battery is 2 years older it won’t hold as long a charge anymore.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
While degradation and battery performance may decrease battery performance over the years on your device, I think it is not wise to not keep up with the newest iOS.
Every company will say the same, regardless of what you are getting with these updates. What is not wise is to update without any careful consideration of what you are getting. We need to stop thinking we always need the latest ones. No, we don't.

Our devices will continue to work fine without them. :)

And this isn't restricted to iOS. Even apps can lure you into updates that will get rid of some good feature, such as a video player removing support for a now licensed codec or some app that used to download Youtube videos and now had that feature stripped after a complaint.

Or some small change that you hated (and makes all the difference).

The thing with Apple products is that the company wants absolute control over everything.

- You are forced to update iOS even if you don't want. The update is downloaded regardless of any consent and you will accidentally hit OK when asked. You delete the download and later it's there again. The only way to prevent this is installing a tvOS profile, something not even 0.1% of users are aware it can be done.

- You can't remove any iOS version and replace for another you think it's better. As far as I know this is impossible once it has been changed.

- Also, you can't do the same with apps. After the 12.7 iTunes version they removed the App Store, so backup of apps currently available (as .IPA) was not an option anymore. After much complaints they reintroduced, in a not so announced version, in their words, "necessary for some businesses performing internal app deployments" (12.6.3 and later).

- You can't do a backup (a physical one that will enable you to restore the content regardless of what happens) of everything you purchase from Apple. What does that mean? Everything stored online and again you are in their hands.

- After iOS 11 Apple hinted that didn't like the idea of users turning wi-fi/bluetooth off for good. I know the option is still there (internal settings is where you do this), however that tells me in the future they might think no one wants to use these devices offline so leaving them on all the time is a "good idea". What for? More control over what their products can do.

1). Older software may lack security updates that newer iOS versions fix. As such your device is more at risk of hacks or other security bugs.
Bulls.hit. :D

They always give that excuse! There's always something that needs to be fixed, a 1000 years from now these devices will need a new version to patch these security flaws.

Which, of course, rarely affect enough users or represent any serious risk. In most cases I would say it's a scare tactic, something they say it happens and it's not proven or the chances of happening slim, and I doubt it can justify an update.

My iOS 10.3.2 have not given me any problems after almost a year using, in the IPP 10.5. I skipped all iOS 11 versions and will do the same with 12, since nothing changed in terms of battery.

2). You very well could still experience the same battery perfirmance drain as newer versions of apps are updated to use the greater power utilization of newer iOS updates.
I could, then again that would be quickly noticed, I am positive about this. In case you don't remember iOS tells what apps are wasting more of your battery in the last day or week.

If that is the best option for you, and the 10% battery loss between the updates is a deal breaker, then keeping the original iOS is certainly an option and all means that is your call.
I don't think even losing 30 minutes in a single charge justifies a new iOS version. Perhaps the day I see any improvements in terms of battery I'll change my mind in that regard.

I expect 10 hours of watching a video in a single charge. After 1 year and 10% degradation this is reduced to 8-9 hours. Or 10 to 15 hours of reading ebooks / using Safari. Apps that measure battery degradation and how much time is left can tell you how much you can use for video, browsing, etc.

This is a scenario that will ALWAYS happen regardless of what device or iOS version you are using, provided your iPhone/iPAD is subjected to ideal conditions, and if it's using the iOS version that Apple installed.

Not new ones you decided at your risk to replace.

Meaning that if you heat these batteries (and do other things like wasting the battery down to 0% every single time) they will deplete quickly, try leaving your iPhone everyday exposed to the Sun, I bet the degradation will be 2-3% every month.

There are also other factors like increasing brightness, which we all know can waste the battery a lot more faster. In my case I always use 25-30% and no more than 40 while watching movies.

But for those who say there isn’t an issue or they don’t notice the difference, I would say keep up to date on the iOS for the perfomance and security updates.
Theft is still theft whether you notice the thief has stolen from you or not.

Apple is reducing the lifespan of all devices to force users to replace the batteries and/or buy new products. The fact they don't admit this in the open doesn't mean they aren't doing.

This is what planned obsolescence is, and if you think this isn't the case then explain the thousands of complaints about battery issues (even newspapers have mentioned) and why no changelog from iOS versions are saying "fixed: battery issues".

It's not saying because it does not interest to Apple that you can use the same product for 5 or more years without giving them more money. I intend to use mine for decades if possible.

PCs with new Windows versions can be formatted, and you can use an old Windows that is more suitable for that old hardware. For Apple products iOS (12) may work with many devices, but that doesn't mean the battery will not suffer. I bet it will in every one of them.

Why?

Any device that wasn't created with iOS 12 in mind it's simply not powerful to handle it without depleting faster your battery.

That's why I think Apple will never fix anything.

My iPAD Pro 10.5 was released in 2017 when iOS 10.3.2 was available. If I replace with iOS 12, which is designed for the upcoming iPAD Pro, then I am taking a risk that it will continue to work fine and my battery won't be affected.

Based on all commnents I read so far and my own experience with the IPP 9.7 I won't do that.

If it works for them, then no need for them to be convinced there is an issue if the issues doesn’t seem to exist for them.
No one is saying iOS 12 is bad.

All I am saying is that unless there is scientific proof that all I explained is not being done by Apple deliberately then no one should trust this company, which has already acknowledged a similar conduct:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/30/...department-of-justice-sec-investigation-probe

The burden of proof is not mine. This is Apple we are talking about, which has a history of overcharging for everything and... megalomania. Not that they don't create good stuff, or the competitors aren't just as bad.

It's simply that I now refuse to support any company that doesn't care about me as a customer and only wants to profit no matter what.

That’s just my personal opinion. All devices I have ever owned lose battery life over time, regardless of updating or no updating, so to me it’s not worth stressing over.
They will continue to lose over time even if you don't touch them (in standby). That's how these batteries work.

What is not OK is to be robbed from the years you could be using this same device or the less hours you would be using during the day if you had not updated in the first place.

Or the money you'll be forced to spend in a new battery, or a new device that can last these same hours or require a battery replacement in (for example) 5 instead of 3 years.

When I buy a lamp that is predicted to last at least 2-3 years I don't expect it to surpasse that one that is burning since 1901.

But if it stops working after 6 months or a year then I'll investigate what could be reducing its lifespan.

It's one thing when it's your own fault and another when several users report the same issues after doing the same thing, which is updating iOS.

They are not complaining about faulty devices.

Last edited:

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Of course your battery life was better on ios10. Your battery is 2 years older it won’t hold as long a charge anymore.
It was better, far better, on iOS 10.3.3 2 weeks ago. And I bought my SE less than a year ago.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
For anyone that is still in doubt if should update or not...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8338295

When I read threads like these I feel very suspicious since Apple didn't say ANYTHING about battery issues after these iOS 11 releases. Not a single mention in changelogs.

Everyone complains about iOS 11 - everywhere. And they are complaining about the iPAD Pro 10.5! I am not talking about a device released 4, 5 years ago.

It could be that iOS 12 is great and there are no battery issues. Unfortunately I can't take that risk, once I install iOS 12 I will not be able to get rid of it and come back to 10.3.2. The day this sort of thing becomes possible will be the day there will be no planned obsolescence from Apple.

If I install a good Windows version yet find out that it's slow or ineffective in my old hardware (let's say Windows 10 in equipment that should run Vista or Win7) I can remove and replace with any other (old) version.

Since there is no turning back for Apple I am obviously at a serious disadvantage. And no one should trust Apple or customers that have no clue what to look for. Most will not even do a clean install when doing these updates.

https://medium.com/@imkenny/how-to-fix-your-battery-life-after-updating-to-ios-11-8196ce0c95dc

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
OK, I decided to update to iOS 12 from scratch. So no relying in any iCloud backup (which I did minutes ago, since some apps will need to adjust their settings). I'll reset to factory settings and update using the IPSW file downloaded from here:

http://osxdaily.com/2018/09/17/ios-12-download-ipsw-update/

My current device is: IPP 10.5, 256 GB wifi+cel. Using iOS 10.3.2

This is what the app says about the battery:
https://imgur.com/a/IGRR9r3

About 10-14% degradation, I started using in October 13, 2017, if I am not mistaken. Never updated to any other version. Since I saw here the iPhone 7 Plus faster (and this one was shipped with iOS 10.0.1), I'll check if things change much after a clean install. If they are worse then this is the last Apple device I'll have. And I am very good at noticing issues.

I already said (and long before iOS 12) I was planning to get a Samsung device in the future, perhaps the Tab S4.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
OK, I decided to update to iOS 12 from scratch. So no relying in any iCloud backup (which I did minutes ago, since some apps will need to adjust their settings). I'll reset to factory settings and update using the IPSW file downloaded from here:

http://osxdaily.com/2018/09/17/ios-12-download-ipsw-update/

My current device is: IPP 10.5, 256 GB wifi+cel. Using iOS 10.3.2

This is what the app says about the battery:
https://imgur.com/a/IGRR9r3

About 10-14% degradation, I started using in October 13, 2017, if I am not mistaken. Never updated to any other version. Since I saw here the iPhone 7 Plus faster (and this one was shipped with iOS 10.0.1), I'll check if things change much after a clean install. If they are worse then this is the last Apple device I'll have. And I am very good at noticing issues.

I already said (and long before iOS 12) I was planning to get a Samsung device in the future, perhaps the Tab S4.

How's the battery life? I too did a clean install and set it up as new. Getting pretty good results. Battery life is about the same. Maybe a tiny bit worse.

Reactions: Painter2002

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
My son updated his 6s to iOS 12 from the latest version of iOS 11. Judging by how often he has to charge his phone, battery life seems to be about the same - not good. I'm keeping mine on iOS 10.3.3.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
How's the battery life? I too did a clean install and set it up as new. Getting pretty good results. Battery life is about the same. Maybe a tiny bit worse.
Apple has changed things in a way that all apps that analyze battery are not working anymore. So I’ll need almost a week to tell if my device it’s affected, based on my normal usage. So far I haven’t identified any issues after my clean install.

Tritom

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
I can confirm, that with IOS 12, the battery of my iphone 6 (new battery a few month ago) is about 1.5hrs worse than on ios 10. Hoped that improves after the normal first 24-48hrs after updating, but didn't

I want to reinstall ios 10 from backup, should work, shouldn't it?

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
I can confirm, that with IOS 12, the battery of my iphone 6 (new battery a few month ago) is about 1.5hrs worse than on ios 10. Hoped that improves after the normal first 24-48hrs after updating, but didn't

I want to reinstall ios 10 from backup, should work, shouldn't it?
No, to my understanding iOS 10 is not signed anymore, hence you can only downgrade to iOS 11.4.1 via IPSW-file and DFU-mode and begin from scratch => "new" iphone route without a backup restore.
Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: Tritom

Tritom

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
No, to my understanding iOS 10 is not signed anymore, hence you can only downgrade to iOS 11.4.1 via IPSW and DFU-mode and begin from scratch.
not even from itunes backup? wow, that's a nightmare. just rendered my iphone much less usable...
[doublepost=1538125722][/doublepost]thanks for your quick response
[doublepost=1538125872][/doublepost]my iphone doesn't even appear in itunes any more...? is itunes backup not supported any more when the iphone runs ios 12??

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
my battery on 8+ has somehow gotten even better on 12, i had 6hrs screen time and was still at 60+% battery.

Tritom

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
is there any way to restore to the IOS 10.3 which is my personal itunes backup from 2 weeks ago..?

(background: iphone 6, and not happy with ios 12. leaves me with battery-times of 5hrs on a NEW battery)

jhall8

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2017
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
is there any way to restore to the IOS 10.3 which is my personal itunes backup from 2 weeks ago..?

(background: iphone 6, and not happy with ios 12. leaves me with battery-times of 5hrs on a NEW battery)
Unfortunately, you can only restore to backups with signed iOS versions. Only 12.0 and 11.4.1 are currently signed.

Tritom

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
thanks, jhall. kind of you.

that's a bad policy by apple. if I restore a backup and cannot go back to the original os-version of the backup. funny with ios 12 up to 50% faster than ios 11, but ios 11 was 50% slower or more than ios 10. great improvement!

Reactions: jhall8

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
thanks, jhall. kind of you.

that's a bad policy by apple. if I restore a backup and cannot go back to the original os-version of the backup. funny with ios 12 up to 50% faster than ios 11, but ios 11 was 50% slower or more than ios 10. great improvement!
Backup is just your data, not the OS itself.

kebrone

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
This should be pinned! Best reply!

Every company will say the same, regardless of what you are getting with these updates. What is not wise is to update without any careful consideration of what you are getting. We need to stop thinking we always need the latest ones. No, we don't.

And this isn't restricted to iOS. Even apps can lure you into updates that will get rid of some good feature, such as a video player removing support for a now licensed codec or some app that used to download Youtube videos and now had that feature stripped after a complaint.

The thing with Apple products is that the company wants absolute control over everything.

- You are forced to update iOS even if you don't want. The update is downloaded regardless of any consent and you will accidentally hit OK when asked. You delete the download and later it's there again. The only way to prevent this is installing a tvOS profile, something not even 0.1% of users are aware it can be done.

- You can't remove any iOS version and replace for another you think it's better. As far as I know this is impossible once it has been changed.

- Also, you can't do the same with apps. After the 12.7 iTunes version they removed the App Store, so backup of apps currently available (as .IPA) was not an option anymore. After much complaints they reintroduced, in a not so announced version, in their words, "necessary for some businesses performing internal app deployments" (12.6.3 and later).

- You can't do a backup (a physical one that will enable you to restore the content regardless of what happens) of everything you purchase from Apple. What does that mean? Everything stored online and again you are in their hands.

- After iOS 11 Apple hinted that didn't like the idea of users turning wi-fi/bluetooth off for good. I know the option is still there (internal settings is where you do this), however that tells me in the future they might think no one wants to use these devices offline so leaving them on all the time is a "good idea". What for? More control over what their products can do.

They always give that excuse! There's always something that needs to be fixed, a 1000 years from now these devices will need a new version to patch these security flaws.

Which, of course, rarely affect enough users or represent any serious risk. In most cases I would say it's a scare tactic, something they say it happens and it's not proven or the chances of happening slim, and I doubt it can justify an update.

My iOS 10.3.2 have not given me any problems after almost a year using, in the IPP 10.5. I skipped all iOS 11 versions and will do the same with 12, since nothing changed in terms of battery.

I could, then again that would be quickly noticed, I am positive about this. In case you don't remember iOS tells what apps are wasting more of your battery in the last day or week.

I don't think even losing 30 minutes in a single charge justifies a new iOS version. Perhaps the day I see any improvements in terms of battery I'll change my mind in that regard.

I expect 10 hours of watching a video in a single charge. After 1 year and 10% degradation this is reduced to 8-9 hours. Or 10 to 15 hours of reading ebooks / using Safari. Apps that measure battery degradation and how much time is left can tell you how much you can use for video, browsing, etc.

This is a scenario that will ALWAYS happen regardless of what device or iOS version you are using, provided your iPhone/iPAD is subjected to ideal conditions, and if it's using the iOS version that Apple installed.

Meaning that if you heat these batteries (and do other things like wasting the battery down to 0% every single time) they will deplete quickly, try leaving your iPhone everyday exposed to the Sun, I bet the degradation will be 2-3% every month.

There are also other factors like increasing brightness, which we all know can waste the battery a lot more faster. In my case I always use 25-30% and no more than 40 while watching movies.

Apple is reducing the lifespan of all devices to force users to replace the batteries and/or buy new products. The fact they don't admit this in the open doesn't mean they aren't doing.

This is what planned obsolescence is, and if you think this isn't the case then explain the thousands of complaints about battery issues (even newspapers have mentioned) and why no changelog from iOS versions are saying "fixed: battery issues".

It's not saying because it does not interest to Apple that you can use the same product for 5 or more years without giving them more money. I intend to use mine for decades if possible.

PCs with new Windows versions can be formatted, and you can use an old Windows that is more suitable for that old hardware. For Apple products iOS (12) may work with many devices, but that doesn't mean the battery will not suffer. I bet it will in every one of them.

Why?

Any device that wasn't created with iOS 12 in mind it's simply not powerful to handle it without depleting faster your battery.

My iPAD Pro 10.5 was released in 2017 when iOS 10.3.2 was available. If I replace with iOS 12, which is designed for the upcoming iPAD Pro, then I am taking a risk that it will continue to work fine and my battery won't be affected.

Based on all commnents I read so far and my own experience with the IPP 9.7 I won't do that.

All I am saying is that unless there is scientific proof that all I explained is not being done by Apple deliberately then no one should trust this company, which has already acknowledged a similar conduct:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/30/...department-of-justice-sec-investigation-probe

The burden of proof is not mine. This is Apple we are talking about, which has a history of overcharging for everything and... megalomania. Not that they don't create good stuff, or the competitors aren't just as bad.

It's simply that I now refuse to support any company that doesn't care about me as a customer and only wants to profit no matter what.

They will continue to lose over time even if you don't touch them (in standby). That's how these batteries work.

What is not OK is to be robbed from the years you could be using this same device or the less hours you would be using during the day if you had not updated in the first place.

Or the money you'll be forced to spend in a new battery, or a new device that can last these same hours or require a battery replacement in (for example) 5 instead of 3 years.

When I buy a lamp that is predicted to last at least 2-3 years I don't expect it to surpasse that one that is burning since 1901.

But if it stops working after 6 months or a year then I'll investigate what could be reducing its lifespan.

It's one thing when it's your own fault and another when several users report the same issues after doing the same thing, which is updating iOS.

Reactions: Tritom and max2

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I decided to update to iOS 12 and so far dont' regret the decision - don't have any complaint AT ALL about this new version. This improvement alone was reason enough for me:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a10-chip-for-4k-playback.2140416/

It's faster and better than iOS 10.3.2. I still mantain the opinion we shouldn't update without looking into what we will benefit from it, and I had in the past an unpleasant experience with these:

- iOS 11
- The iPAD Pro 9.7 (2016)

(After I changed to iOS 11 my battery lasted 2-3 hours less if I am not mistaken... I don't think even a clean install improved things)

Despite that we all know iOS 11 was a complete failure... and most users don't do a clean install before updating. I recommend reviewing what I said here, too:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios12-battery-drain.2143316/#post-26582766

Not saying Apple isn't doing anything, however many users fail to adjust their settings and take care of their devices to avoid battery degradation and unnecessary drain.

Reactions: max2

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I decided to update to iOS 12 and so far dont' regret the decision - don't have any complaint AT ALL about this new version. This improvement alone was reason enough for me:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a10-chip-for-4k-playback.2140416/

It's faster and better than iOS 10.3.2. I still mantain the opinion we shouldn't update without looking into what we will benefit from it, and I had in the past an unpleasant experience with these:

- iOS 11
- The iPAD Pro 9.7 (2016)

(After I changed to iOS 11 my battery lasted 2-3 hours less if I am not mistaken... I don't think even a clean install improved things)

Despite that we all know iOS 11 was a complete failure... and most users don't do a clean install before updating. I recommend reviewing what I said here, too:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios12-battery-drain.2143316/#post-26582766

Not saying Apple isn't doing anything, however many users fail to adjust their settings and take care of their devices to avoid battery degradation and unnecessary drain.

What phone do you have and how is the battery life when compared to iOS 11?

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
What phone do you have and how is the battery life when compared to iOS 11?
It's the iPAD Pro 10.5 (256 GB, wifi+cel, model: MPHG2LL/A).

I noticed users that had battery issues left some options that drain more than usual enabled, such as background app refreshing (in here it's 100% disabled) and mail set to push instead of fetch. I use "fetch manually" instead.

Battery life so far has been the same as the iOS 10.3.2, under normal use. I didn't update to iOS 11, it was from 10 to 12 directly, since I knew iOS 11 was garbage and had a bad experience with the IPP 9.7 (2016).

I was using 10.3.2 in this iPAD since day 1, with a tvOS profile to prevent updates. Last time I checked after almost a year it had 10-13% battery degradation, meaning instead of 10 it would last 8:30 hours for example.

(10-14% degradation after a year is expected)

Tritom

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
I was addressing the question about restoring to iOS 10.3.
understood, thanks a lot for your response.
[doublepost=1538241911][/doublepost]
true statements: I was considering every single ios update and skipped ios 11 with my iphone 6. this time i didn't think too much with ios 12 as it was know to be a performance update but never imagined, that it could hurt battery so much...

it think apple more and more looses it's customer centric strategy, creating beautiful products which lasts ages with the iphone (e.g. my macbook 15 retina 2012, in use since 6 years, no problems).
they new how to let older devices alone as they are holding back nice features for older phone already. would be a nice thing to skip performance-heavy elements on older devices as well. as we don't need them ;-)

let's see, the competition with samsung is still a mess in comparison to apple, but in the future I will decide much more carefully, if I upgrade or not, no matter, what apple praises their updates to deliver.... :)
[doublepost=1538242032][/doublepost]
In case you wanna downgrade to 11.4.1 with DFU-mode and IPSW-file:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/apple/downgrade-ios-12-3664217/
thanks, but ios 11 seems to be a performance nightmare ;-)

Reactions: jhall8

Ios12sucks

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2018

Why?

[doublepost=1538953168][/doublepost]This is nothing but shame on Apple.

I updated to iOS 12 on my iPhone 7 last Sunday.
It's been 5 days since I updated but the battery drains
like flood gates are open.

(Battery Health is showing capacity 91%)

I never had any problem with this phone before even after OS updates.

I read that initially it re-indexing and doing stuff in background, but it should settle in 24-48 hours.
Apparently, it did not settle for me.

I lose charge at phenomenal rate. I tested for an hour keeping it in "Do not Disturb" mode and not even touching it, it lost 8%. Extrapolating that would hardly last 14 hours. If I use it for a total of 5-6 minutes in hour,
and another 5-6 minutes of background, I lose 15-20% charge.

This is beyond unacceptable. I need serious help here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.