Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve noticed that since the iOS 12 update, on my iPad, I can no longer control the selection of a group of words. I can select a single word, the entire post, but if I try to drag the selection handle, my selection jumps to the end of the post. I can’t drag the selection over just a few words. I realize this may be an issue with iOS 12 that is out of your hands, but thought I’d mention it in case you can do something.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
The only odd behavior I’ve noticed is that when using my iPhone 7 (work phone) as a hotspot, toggling it off doesn’t break the connection right away. So I toggle it a couple of times and that does it.
Is this a bug or a feature, I wonder.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I’ve noticed that since the iOS 12 update, on my iPad, I can no longer control the selection of a group of words. I can select a single word, the entire post, but if I try to drag the selection handle, my selection jumps to the end of the post. I can’t drag the selection over just a few words. I realize this may be an issue with iOS 12 that is out of your hands, but thought I’d mention it in case you can do something.

Same here on my iPhone X. I was gonna start a thread about it yesterday but then I had a lick of the sauce and proceeded to soak-snooze on the couch.

Thanks for the thread. Hopefully they can fix it.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
When highlighting a word in a message then trying to drag the highlight across a couple or a few words (say to bold them or delete a paragraph, etc) the highlight jumps to the last word in the entire message highlighting everything in between. I can’t selectively highlight a few words anymore.

This started after upgrading to 12.0. I don’t know if the upgrade is responsible for this behavior. Any advice?
[doublepost=1538438257][/doublepost]Here I quoted my post and double tapped the word “drag” then attempted to pull the highlight to also include the word “the”. This is what happens. And I can’t scale the highlight now.

B2FC5EC5-5DE5-43BA-8000-DCA3FB50CEBA.png
[doublepost=1538438689][/doublepost]Lastly, this behavior is happening on my iPhone too.

I’ve tested other sites and this issue is limited to MR...in my experience.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
I’ve had that trouble too. Makes it difficult to respond in any larger manner.
Haven’t seen that behaviour except on MR either.

It help to restart safari though. But it’s annoying and tiredsome to do that all the time.
Good that you take it up. :) I’m too lazy, or busy with other things, for it o_O

Reactions: Gutwrench

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When highlighting a word in a message then trying to drag the highlight across a couple or a few words (say to bold them or delete a paragraph, etc) the highlight jumps to the last word in the entire message highlighting everything in between. I can’t selectively highlight a few words anymore.

This started after upgrading to 12.0. I don’t know if the upgrade is responsible for this behavior. Any advice?
[doublepost=1538438257][/doublepost]Here I quoted my post and double tapped the word “drag” then attempted to pull the highlight to also include the word “the”. This is what happens. And I can’t scale the highlight now.

View attachment 791235
[doublepost=1538438689][/doublepost]Lastly, this behavior is happening on my iPhone too.

I’ve tested other sites and this issue is limited to MR...in my experience.
Seems like this might be similar to https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-12-issues.2143939/

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I’ve had that trouble too. Makes it difficult to respond in any larger manner.
Haven’t seen that behaviour except on MR either.

It help to restart safari though. But it’s annoying and tiredsome to do that all the time.
Good that you take it up. :) I’m too lazy, or busy with other things, for it o_O

Well it’s reassuring that it’s not isolated to me. Thank you!
[doublepost=1538440959][/doublepost]

Thank you. It seems possibly related. Maybe MR might take a peek at this.

Reactions: Lioness~

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Work Around
... that works well at least on my iPad. When you want to highlight a group of words for editing, select the wrench in the top right of your post to take it out of Rich Text mode, then groups of worlds can be easily selected.

For those not familiar, be aware that the bbcode markup brackets will now be displayed that change the attributes of text such as size, bold or italicized, etc.. After complete, select Use Rich Text Editor link visible just below the edit window to revert back to the format you are used to seeing. :)

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
The bug is still present on my iPad Pro with 12.1.1 public beta 3

Reactions: Huntn

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
as the thread title says. When I browse macrumors on either my iPhone or iPad, i can’t select text within replies. Any attempt to highlight text highlights all of the text. It makes it extremely hard to participate in back and forth discussions.

This is a fairly new phenomenon... maybe since iOS 12? Not sure. But it’s only on macrumors, so I don’t think it’s my devices.

Has anyone else experienced this?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
After three months...I guess this ever being fixed is hopeless.
Not until the site owner updates/upgrades the forum software and even then its continent that xenforo's newer versions fixes the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.