Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 14.5 and later, Apple has added a Waze-like feature to its native Maps app that lets you report accidents, hazards, and speed checks along your route when getting directions. Keep reading to learn how it works.

apple-maps-report-incident-red.jpg

Driving on public roads can throw up all sorts of hazards, but if you're given prior warning then you can be better prepared to deal with them. Apple recognizes this, which is why it allows you to report incidents in Maps for the benefit of other users. If you see something dangerous on your route that you want to warn others about, you can do so by following the steps below.

Note that the Report feature described here is also available through CarPlay, which should make it easier to report an incident when you're driving, when ideally you shouldn't be interacting with your phone.

carplay-report-accident.jpg

How to Report Speed Checks and Traffic Incidents in Apple Maps

1. In Apple's Maps app, enter an address in the input field and select a route.
  2. Choose Go and start your journey.
    If you come across a hazard, accident, or speed check, bring up the options card by tapping the chevron icon in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
    Tap the Report button in the menu card, then tap Accident, Hazard, or Speed Check. Alternately, say "Hey ‌Siri‌, there's an [accident/hazard/speed check]" and ‌Siri‌ will send in a report to ‌Apple Maps.
    apple-maps-report-accident-hazard.jpg
Reporting an incident flags the location with Apple, so it shouldn't be used except in a valid situation. If enough people file similar reports in the same location, Apple will use anonymized crowdsourcing to flag the incident site on the map.

Article Link: iOS 14.5: How to Report Speed Checks, Traffic Accidents, and Other Hazards in Apple Maps

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
Can't wait for the folks who will say "you shouldn't speed anyways." Right, like there's one person on the road that's never exceeded the ridiculously low speed limits the government wants us to follow. The government takes modern cars and wants us to drive them like we have clunkers from the 60's still. Waze and Apple wouldn't have a speed trap function if the government would get with the real world instead of their fantasy land.

Following the government's speed limits is like me having to purposely throttle my 2020 Mac's speed to match that of a computer back in 1989.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Can't wait for the folks who will say "you shouldn't speed anyways." Right, like there's one person on the road that's never exceeded the ridiculously low speed limits the government wants us to follow. The government takes modern cars and wants us to drive them like we have clunkers from the 60's still. Waze and Apple wouldn't have a speed trap function if the government would get with the real world instead of their fantasy land.
you just said government 3 times in a post about speeding. just saying...

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
Kind of lame to have it work only when you have a set destination. I know where my local Target is so why we would I need directions? The road there has a nice little curve where the police like to hide out. It would be nice to say “speed trap ahead” and having it logged then to not do it at all.

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
hmm, Apple usually sits on the law-abiding side: in China anyway

The U.S Government doesn't even follow the law. They think Constitutional Amendments are not absolute. They also take bribes from insurance companies; thus, your artificially low speed limits and your seatbelt laws, plus tickets get reported to insurance companies so they can jack up your rates for going 6 mph over the artificially low limit that's set.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Doesn’t appear to be an option on my phone. I’m in Canada and I just get “Add Stop” “Share ETA” “Overview” “Details” “Audio” and “End”.
Correct.

Attachments

• 66C64805-2A39-4037-AD93-2E70E23964F4.jpeg
    66C64805-2A39-4037-AD93-2E70E23964F4.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 116
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.