Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 14 Adoption Surpasses 25% Across iPhone and iPad Five Days After Release

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Five days after Apple released iOS 14, adoption of the software update has reached approximately 26 percent of active iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices, according to mobile analytics company Mixpanel. This includes iPadOS 14.

iOS 14 adoption appears to be outpacing iOS 13, which was installed on approximately 20 percent of active devices one week after its release last year, according to Mixpanel. Home Screen widgets have proven especially popular so far, perhaps compelling more users to update, while other features like picture-in-picture videos and the ability to set third-party browser and email apps as default have also been well received.

Mixpanel measures iOS adoption based on visits to websites and apps that use its mobile analytics SDKs, so its data is not official, but it is usually within the ballpark of Apple's own figures. Apple typically waits up to a month after a major release to publish its own adoption numbers, so no data is available for iOS 14 yet.

If you have recently updated to iOS 14, read our comprehensive roundup of all of the new features. We've also shared a series of how-tos and guides to take advantage of everything that the software update offers.

Article Link: iOS 14 Adoption Surpasses 25% Across iPhone and iPad Five Days After Release

Kylo83

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2020
Because of all the kids posting memes about changing the homepage with shortcuts

MrTemple

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
The light would never go off and would defeat the purpose of a notification light

Yep, and the 'hey Siri' feature not only never leaves the device, it never even passes the microphone audio to the CPU until the pattern is detected by the chip. iOS 14 literally is not receiving audio from the microphone.

That may seem like a fine line, but it is in fact a huge distinction.

fredrik9

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
Is this more likely related to most phone probably being set to auto-update than the user making the decision to upgrade.

Do not think so. Non-tech people just have auto update sure but the auto stuff never kicks in until two to three weeks after an update. My wife's iPhone for example, is never updated for the first couple of weeks after an update and she has auto update enabled.

e1me5

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
I dont like it. I find it overcomplicated, untidy and unfinished. But maybe its because my 6S is finally showing up its age.

• Sad
Reactions: dysamoria

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Given that the OS nags the **** out of you to update your device, this is a meaningless stat

Also auto updates, I bet some people didn’t even choose to install it

It doesn’t work that way. It doesn’t t send out notices about the update for quite some time as there are tens of millions of people updating each day in the first couple of weeks. They wouldn’t want everyone to update in the beginning.

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
While I like the ability to hide pages of apps I hardly use, I do find the App Library an unusable mess. Fortunately, I perform Seaches for apps I seldom use. So for me, the App Library is just a place to keep all of that barely used junk on one page - which I'm fine with. Never really been the type to have several pages of apps for which I flick around to try and find apps. Way easier to Search or even ask Siri to launch.

At this point, I'm more interested in widget maturation: 3rd party implementation and more customization (not holding my breath on the later).

One small thing I might also like to see (though not expecting) is the ability to bottom-justify apps on my Homepage as opposed to the current top-justify approach. Would make for better one-hand operation than current layout.

Last edited:

imagineadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2011
Yikes! I went back to 13.7 one day after. There were too many bugs. My phone was super hot after charging overnight and the widgets didn’t work and random springboard resprings galore. It just didn’t feel right. I’ll try again around Christmas time maybe. Or maybe not. 13.7 just feels perfect on my 7.

Reactions: The_Martini_Cat

LeeW

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Do not think so. Non-tech people just have auto update sure but the auto stuff never kicks in until two to three weeks after an update. My wife's iPhone for example, is never updated for the first couple of weeks after an update and she has auto update enabled.

Must vary then, both my phone and my wife's phone are set to auto-update and they did within 48 hours of release, without prompting or action by us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.