Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 14: How to Set Google Chrome as the Default Browser on iPhone and iPad

mingravity

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
I am perfectly happy with safari. At least for my work needs/loads. Why would one prefer chrome over safari? serious question if anyone could ans

Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I like Safari, but this feature is a boon to Windows users, because they'll be able to use Chrome by default on their phone and have everything synced up with Chrome on their Windows PCs.

I'm happy for more user choice!

Now if only we could choose the default navigation app.

Comment

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I am perfectly happy with safari. At least for my work needs/loads. Why would one prefer chrome over safari? serious question if anyone could ans

Read back in the thread?

Sync. Nothing syncs with Safari. Bookmarks, open tabs, etc. If you use a Mac its a non-issue. If you are the other 88% of people in the US you dont use Safari on any desktop since it doesnt exist on anything but Mac

If something is open on desktop, and want to send yourself the link, you do it via email or some app (Telegram, Slack, etc). As Rene Ritchie says, "like an animal"

Chrome to Chrome (or Edge to Edge once they get it fully working) you just open the browser app and everything is there from PC to phone

Comment

mikeleeuk

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
North Walsham

Serious answer to serious question:

I have a Mac, an iPhone, and a Galaxy Tab (for specific apps/uses that aren’t possible on iPad). But I still want to sync my tabs, history, bookmarks, etc. between all the devices.

Firefox is better privacy-wise, but it’s always felt sluggish and non-native to me (especially on Mac, although I don’t like the Android version either).

Also I have a Chromecast and a Roku, both of which I can cast to from Chrome on my Mac but not from Safari or Firefox.

Edge is another option I would look at, once it gets this option, but I don’t feel like Microsoft’s software sprunges my user data any less aggressively than Google’s, nowadays.

Plus I use AdGuard on all my devices, and VPN some of the time, so I at least feel like that should mitigate some of the tracking shenanigans. (Mind you, I never passed a Captcha first time on Safari on Mac, and I do every time on Chrome, so, ehh.)

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:
Comment

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Serious answer to serious question:

I have a Mac, an iPhone, and a Galaxy Tab (for specific apps/uses that aren’t possible on iPad). But I still want to sync my tabs, history, bookmarks, etc. between all the devices.

Firefox is better privacy-wise, but it’s always felt sluggish and non-native to me (especially on Mac, although I don’t like the Android version either).

Also I have a Chromecast and a Roku, north of which I can cast to from Chrome on my Mac but not from Safari or Firefox.

Edge is another option I would look at, once it gets this option, but I don’t feel like Microsoft’s software sprunges my user data any less aggressively than Google’s, nowadays.

Plus I use AdGuard on all my devices, and VPN some of the time, so I at least feel like that should mitigate some of the tracking shenanigans. (Mind you, I never passed a Captcha first time on Safari on Mac, and I do every time on Chrome, so, ehh.)

Exactly. Some cant fathom the thought that people dont own only Apple devices. Interoperability is EXTREMELY poor to nonexistent between Apple and anything else- Android, Windows, etc etc.

Like I mentioned above, just to send a link to my phone to open in Safari from PC I have to email it Slack/Telegram it to myself, open that app to click the link to oen in Safari, which is a pain of extra steps. Between Chrome and Chrome the tab is already open when you go into the iOS app. Zero steps

Comment

ghanwani

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2008
It's weird, but I prefer safari on the phone and chrome on macOS/Windows. I wish the safari UI on macOS/Windows were more like Chrome's -- tabs on top, limited tab length, open tab button next to the current tab instead at the right corner, full width address bar, etc.

Comment

cicton

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Canada
Will Apple let you save chrome webpage links to the home screen or will that still be reserved to safari. So far I can’t get chrome links to work

Comment

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Agreed that I'd never switch from Safari to Chrome. Eager for this option for mail & calendar via Outlook though!
Same thought. I love mobile Safari. Haven't found another browser that was worth switching to. However, the second Spark updates to be the default mail client, that option is on for me. Outlook, while good, is my work email app so it can keep it's hooks out of my personal device.

Comment

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Last edited:
Comment

G5isAlive

Suspended
Aug 28, 2003
It depends what you use on dekstop. Chrome lets you sync your bookmark and open tabs (sort of like a Safari continuity feature)

Sure you use the icloud extension on desktop, and it seems to be running ok for me, but in the past it was EXTREMELY buggy creating doubles of bookmarks. Open tabs there is no solution though.

Apple doesnt care about PC users and Safari on Windows isnt a thing anymore. Id assume there are a LOT of PC users who want their bookmarks on their phone without the icloud apps and extension hoops; considering Chome is 69.13% of the market. Even Edge is 7.23% now, Safari is way down there are 3.69%. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge are 84% of the browser market

Thanks, I think you are trying to explain what 'the big deal is'... and I get that if you are a cross-platform i.e. multi-vendor device user (i.e. Apple, Microsoft, Samsung) it makes sense to have a more universal browser. But I am not, I am one of the 3.7% that uses Safari. All my devices are Apple, Mac, iPhone, iPod, Apple Watch. For me, safari shares my bookmarks and connects between them fine.

BTW, your percentages are somewhat incomplete as you chose to evaluate browsers on computers, where Apple starts out with low market share. Safari is 27% of the market share in mobile devices where it also has a much larger market share of the devices. So amongst Apple users, and the use of Macs in particular, my guess is the use of Safari is much higher. Surprisingly, given this is Mac Rumors, I am a Mac user.

Comment

G5isAlive

Suspended
Aug 28, 2003
Exactly. Some cant fathom the thought that people dont own only Apple devices. Interoperability is EXTREMELY poor to nonexistent between Apple and anything else- Android, Windows, etc etc.

Like I mentioned above, just to send a link to my phone to open in Safari from PC I have to email it Slack/Telegram it to myself, open that app to click the link to oen in Safari, which is a pain of extra steps. Between Chrome and Chrome the tab is already open when you go into the iOS app. Zero steps

you are rather aggressive with this stance repeating it several times, so I will repeat too and be more direct, it is not surprising on a web site about Apple products, that people use Apple products. No need to quote percentages on what the market share is, its irrelevant too many on this web site and discussion. The question was asked. And answered. And you will forgive people that do use Apple products for considering their needs.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1144557 and NetMage
Comment

johannnn

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Comment

pratikindia

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2014
On iOS? I have literally never seen this on my current iPhone 11 or iPad Pro. You’re sure it’s not on your end?
I see it all the time on X and iPad Pro. It’s an issue and still they have not fixed this. Also the reload bug. Even with 3 tabs, Safari reloads. It’s annoying.

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage
Comment

kb923689

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2019
Finally. It's so annoying having to share the site to Chrome every time an app opens a link on Safari.

Comment

bigboy29

macrumors regular
May 19, 2016
Still on the fence if I'll do this for Edge or my go to browser, DuckDuckGo... but I'll do it for one of them.

Comment

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Thanks, I think you are trying to explain what 'the big deal is'... and I get that if you are a cross-platform i.e. multi-vendor device user (i.e. Apple, Microsoft, Samsung) it makes sense to have a more universal browser. But I am not, I am one of the 3.7% that uses Safari. All my devices are Apple, Mac, iPhone, iPod, Apple Watch. For me, safari shares my bookmarks and connects between them fine.

BTW, your percentages are somewhat incomplete as you chose to evaluate browsers on computers, where Apple starts out with low market share. Safari is 27% of the market share in mobile devices where it also has a much larger market share of the devices. So amongst Apple users, and the use of Macs in particular, my guess is the use of Safari is much higher. Surprisingly, given this is Mac Rumors, I am a Mac user.

What does cross-platform NOT have to do with it? That is the answer why you would use something but mobile safari.

Mobile percentages has nothing to do with it. If you have Safari on mobile and not on desktop what exactly are you syncing tabs and bookmarks to? 🤦‍♂️ The point was the whole world doesnt primarily use dekstop Safari where any of the bookmark sync or continutiy features of mobile Safari matter.

That is exactly the answer to the question being posed of why default to Chrome or some other mobile browser

Yet every 5th post you have the same "BUH WHYZZZ!!!" idiotic post who are too lazy to reach back a whole 2 pages.

you are rather aggressive with this stance repeating it several times, so I will repeat too and be more direct, it is not surprising on a web site about Apple products, that people use Apple products. No need to quote percentages on what the market share is, its irrelevant too many on this web site and discussion. The question was asked. And answered. And you will forgive people that do use Apple products for considering their needs.

Aggressive? Uh no. Had nothing to do with you, not your post or reply at issue, so dont know why you are sticking your nose in. But since you did.....

Apple people arent the only ones in the world, not even close to the majority. You think the majority of Macrumors users exclusively/solely own Macs and use nothing lse where interoperability between OSes doesnt matter? Since "its irrelevant too many on this web site and discussion" You would be sorely wrong there. Look a post below, look a post or two above; plenty of people not using Mac or desktop Safari who want to have a discussion.

You should check that attitude that people who arent Apple die hards with all the Apple gear can't have an opinion/discussion. If it's irrelevant to you personally or dont like it, then move along.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: G5isAlive
Comment

ruka.snow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2017
Setting Outlook as my email client and calendar will be more helpful than a slightly different UI to Safari with built in spyware.

Reactions: srbNYC
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.