Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 14: How to Set Google Chrome as the Default Browser on iPhone and iPad

LadyBlue007

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2020
I agree with the other posters, but I'm wondering if this is being done to assist with "distance learning". For example, the school that my daughter attends is using Google Classroom, which requires Chrome (especially for extensions like Nod, Kami, etc). So far, she has only been able to actually use the extensions on a laptop, even though my daughter prefers using her IPad. Just a thought...

Comment

bbqkimchi

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
Austin
This makes sense for Apple. I used to have the latest iPad, mac, iPhone, apple watch, apple tv & wireless router. I used to read mac rumors and related sites every day, and manage all the family members' accounts and devices. Was an Apple enthusiast and advocate from 2006 - 2018, first in line for an iPhone one year, you get the point. I've been migrating to the non-Apple offering over the last two years and it's only gotten better w/ each transition. MacOS to windows 10 is excellent, Apple Music to Spotify has been a treat. Skipped on the homepod as Alexa & Google have been fantastic and easier to integrate w/ a smart home, but the mobile experience with Apple's iPhone and iPad are something I haven't parted with yet. Chrome's lack of a bookmark bar on iOS is one of the reasons I'm keeping w/ iOS devices. Apple's ecosystem used to be cool, now it just feels limiting. Google in no way has it perfect. I find flaws daily with Google's services and daily w/ Apple's. As soon as my iPhone 8 and 9" iPad pro don't get the latest version of iOS, I'll go Andriod and see how much / if I miss Apple's products and services.

Comment

frownface

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2020
I have no interest in using chrome on my iphone, but hopefully the feature comes to DDG also.

Comment

Kenmat

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
Firefox has a nice ethos behind it, but technically it starts falling behind other browsers using the Chromium engine (Safari, Edge, Chrome). A simple example is watching a high-definition video in your browser. Safari and Edge support it much better, while Firefox has buffering issues.
Well Safari uses Webkit which chromium is a fork of. So not really the case

Comment

cosmolv

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2012
Latvia
Due to abnormal tracking services i will pass google.. Thank you, but big NO to chrome on all devices! It has too many security issues.

Comment

JaJaWa

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2013
Hong Kong | London
DuckDuckGo is also an option.

Attachments

• A1490771-EBF9-47E1-865A-968306E3A153.png
    A1490771-EBF9-47E1-865A-968306E3A153.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 9
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.