Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 14: How to Set Google Chrome as the Default Browser on iPhone and iPad

NetMage

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Well I can only onswer for my self, but bookmark sync to chrome on Windows ( gaming and the ocational play arround in visual studio) is my main reason, untill the day apple allowes 3d party eb browsser engines that is

Syncing bookmarks is easy - install iCloud for Windows and sync to Chrome.

Syncing tabs automatically is difficult, but perhaps Apple will add it to iCloud for Windows.

But you can use a save all tabs extension in Chrome to save them to a bookmarks folder and then they will be available in Safari. Possibly you can find an automatic extension to do that. You can manually do the same in Safari to go the other way.

Last edited:
Comment

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway

Syncing tabs automatically is difficult, but perhaps Apple will add it to iCloud for Windows.

But you can use a save all tabs extension in Chrome to save them to a bookmarks folder and then they will be available in Safari. Possibly you can find an automatic extension to do that. You can manually do the same in Safari to go the other way.
hmm interesting, does that sync allso go the other way (ie from windows to the mobile device?

Comment

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around
hmm interesting, does that sync allso go the other way (ie from windows to the mobile device?
It does. I use this set up to keep my bookmarks with Firefox and Safari synced. I have a Linux computer also that has Firefox (I use Firefox as my main, but like to make sure Safari has the same bookmarks).
So all of my devices has the same bookmarks no matter what. I can add a bookmark to Firefox on my Linux computer, the Firefox account syncs so now Firefox my Windows and Mac computer also this added bookmark. Then because iCloud is on Windows, Firefox and Safari syncs.
I hope this makes sense.

Comment

russell_314

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Sets browser to Chrome, Maps to Google Maps, email to Gmail then says “I have an iPhone because it protects my privacy.... No that’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works 🤦‍♂️

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Sets browser to Chrome, Maps to Google Maps, email to Gmail then says “I have an iPhone because it protects my privacy.... No that’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works 🤦‍♂️

TBF...Apple ads seem to imply that. Their ads literally says you are safe with an iphone. I don't blame the average joe for the confusion.

Comment

Gnomeo86

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2016
Finally! I've been waiting for this forever. Too bad this version is not yet available in the Netherlands though.

Comment

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018

To be fair, WHEN (or if) bookmark sync works. Their extensions are pretty poorly written.

It seems ok right now, in recent weeks since I started using it again. But I know in the past I was getting duplicate bookmarks and just trashed it; the sync was hot garbage

And I highly doubt tab sync, that is reserved for their platform only. The Chrome icloud bookmarks extension was last updated November 2017- and if you read the reviews, hundreds of people cant get it to work or have huge bugs. They dont care about PC users.

Last edited:
Comment

Canyda

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2020
Now if only the Google Nest Hub that my daughter got me for Christmas would let me set Apple Music as the default music app....

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
AFAIK Firefox will get this capability once iOS 14 releases and they push the update to the store. I’m waiting on it too :)

awesome thanks for confirming this. I’d rather use Firefox as an alternative and I pray they’ll be around long long from now yet recent layoffs have me concerned

Agree...However, since Google owns YouTube, assume you don't use YouTube?

I may share links to YouTube videos (opened up in Private mod of Safari on ios), but I only watch on my ATv4 at home with no location being shared. No camera or voice (the latter without my explicit intent and temporarily only using Siri remote mic).

no smart tv at home either and I hope when I need a 4K upgrade I can find another NON-SmartTV for my apartment later this year. Maybe some hack can be done on smartTvs to only allow rudimentary functions to remain: input changes, colour/tint/brightness/white balance, volume, power and standby and finally auto shut off.

grew up with TV, UHF/Cable, then into flat screen CRT TV, with VHS/LaserDisc, then N64/GameCube/PS1/2/3/“ the PS3 or ATv made my TV smart enough.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Serious answer to serious question:

I have a Mac, an iPhone, and a Galaxy Tab (for specific apps/uses that aren’t possible on iPad). But I still want to sync my tabs, history, bookmarks, etc. between all the devices.

Firefox is better privacy-wise, but it’s always felt sluggish and non-native to me (especially on Mac, although I don’t like the Android version either).

Also I have a Chromecast and a Roku, both of which I can cast to from Chrome on my Mac but not from Safari or Firefox.

Edge is another option I would look at, once it gets this option, but I don’t feel like Microsoft’s software sprunges my user data any less aggressively than Google’s, nowadays.

Plus I use AdGuard on all my devices, and VPN some of the time, so I at least feel like that should mitigate some of the tracking shenanigans. (Mind you, I never passed a Captcha first time on Safari on Mac, and I do every time on Chrome, so, ehh.)

EDIT: spelling

Good points. Seems like you’ll be moving towards windows with Android support down the road, potentially based on just a few use case you’ve mentioned above.

move always been able to pass Captcha on MacOS since High Sierra on Safari and since iOS 7. Not sure how it’s not working for you.

Comment

falainber

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
One question: why would anyone want Google as their default anything?
That's a weird question to ask. You do know that Chrome is the most popular web browser by far, right? And Android is the most popular mobile OS (by far). With that in mind, it's people who use non Google products that have to answer why they are the weird ones.

Reactions: Mr. Heckles
Comment

SurferPup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Sunshine Coast, 🇦🇺 Australia
Ask Apple, they receive money from Google to set it as default search engine on iOS.
I switched to DuckDuckGo a while ago, but the majority of users don't event know it is a possibility.
Ditto for DuckDuckGo's privacy protection. On my Nokia smart phones I use FireFox as my browser and switched advertising tracking to Chrome. I mislead Google from time to time with voice comands on topics of no interest to myself, like, "Hey Google, find me information on holidays in China." I would like to have Safari on the Nokias. I use the Microsoft Outlook App for my ISP e-mail accounts. Careful with SMS\MMS to / from Apple devices / Nokias and utilise Resilio Sync for more sensitive files. Android 10 is good as an operating system [OS] however it lacks the intuitive user interface of iOS and knowing that Google (my Government, other Governments and other nefarious entities) are always using it to data mine concerns me. I feel safer though knowing that my VPN service always remains active with Android, unless I switch it off, unlike in iOS how it continually disconnects due the the closed OS. Android and Android based smart phones are not evil - they are just following the programming ethos of the organisation's creators. Nokia, Nokia / HMD Global and Microsoft / Nokia (to varying degrees) have always made an aesthetically, sturdy with some leading components, camera technology for example, mobile phones and smart phones. I am interested to see the outcome of Nokia / HMD Global's recent acquisition of a Finnish research company to become their primary security laboratory. Even though this division is based in Finland, I am still pessimistic whilst Android remains as their OS.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.