Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
Hi all,

i recently updated my iphone 11 pro to ios 16. Now, every restart, it asks for the apple id and password.

i tried entering the password, it accepted. After restarting, its asking for the password again.

i did the below and it did not work:

sign out and in in itunes store
sign out and in in app store
sign out and in in game centre
sign out and in in icloud in my phone in settings.

reset network settings.

nothing seems work….

ravenofdoom

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
I'm getting this as well. I updated via wifi and two things are happening now on 16.0
1) Search/Spotlight significant lag. Typing in a name of an app causes a 2-4 second hang until the results come up.
2). Every reboot results in appleID password re-entry immediately upon reboot.

I completely wiped my phone and then re-installed from my iTunes backup. This solved nothing. I logged out of appleID entirely (and app store) and logged back in -- nothing fixed either. I also tried unchecking all the siri/search options on suggestions/pull from apple apps, rebooted, and turned them back on -- did not fix the search lag.

From reading on other pre-16.0 release pages, these two seem to be issues that crept up in various beta builds. I'm seeing both today on official 16.0.

Only thing I haven't tried is changing appleID password on the web and re-logging back into phone. I will try that next to try to resolve the password-request on login issue (though that won't fix the search lag issue I suspect).

ravenofdoom

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
@zz_nosa_r

Try logging into your appleID on the web and then changing the password checking the "sign out all devices."

I tried this an hour ago, rebooted the offending ios16 phone, then rebooted -- typed in the new password both into the login prompt and applestore... then rebooted. I've tried 3 reboots over the last hour since doing this, and I haven't gotten the password login prompt again (before it was immediate on the lock screen). Fingers crossed it doesn't appear again, and it's some synchronization issue on apple's servers in updating to ios16 that doesn't get its flag reset until you change password/log out all devices.

No solution yet to the spotlight/search terrible lag. The fact that I completely factory reset and restored from backup my phone and this hasn't resolved it (and that there's a half dozen beta users with this issue) tells me this may require an incremental .x update to resolve.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
@ravenofdoom how is it now? No more password pop up after changing the password? I want to change the password, but i have like 5 apple devices and its so time consuming updating those one by one when the only issue is this iphone 11 pro with ios 16.

my other devices are still 15.7

Reactions: Iphoneman8

ravenofdoom

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
@ravenofdoom how is it now? No more password pop up after changing the password? I want to change the password, but i have like 5 apple devices and its so time consuming updating those one by one when the only issue is this iphone 11 pro with ios 16.

my other devices are still 15.7
The password change and log-out of all devices in the password reset options on the appleID page did seem to fix my issue. I've rebooted about 10 times in the last 12 hours since I made this change, and it hasn't asked for the password once (whereas before it asked 100% of the time on the lock-screen after reboot).

Still hoping for a 16.x update to resolve the spotlight search 3-5 second lag after typing in anything.

ravenofdoom

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
I'd suggest updating each of your devices to 16.x first, and then try rebooting each device, changing your appleID (with logout). You will have to log each device back in and then reboot, but I think this might avoid the chance of having to change your password multiple times in case each device flips out independently after the 16.0 update (assuming the password change fixes it for you like it did for me).

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
I'd suggest updating each of your devices to 16.x first, and then try rebooting each device, changing your appleID (with logout). You will have to log each device back in and then reboot, but I think this might avoid the chance of having to change your password multiple times in case each device flips out independently after the 16.0 update (assuming the password change fixes it for you like it did for me).
Unfortunately. changing the password dit not work for me either.

I will just wait for 16.1. it might fix the issue. Or wait until my I buy iPhone 14 Pro in November.

ravenofdoom

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Well I take back what I said. After a few more reboots today, I noticed if I don’t immediately type in my 6 digit passcode right after reboot, the appleID password request alert appears on the Lock Screen followed by the pop up box thereafter. If that happens, just hitting cancel makes it go away and I don’t actually have to log in because I’m already fully logged into both my appleID and AppStore, etc.

This clearly is some software glitch. Hopefully it will get fixed in 16.x, but I’ve honestly tried every single approach possible to eliminate it apart sans restoring from scratch and not from an iTunes backup (which I don’t have the patience nor inclination to do)

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
the issue seems to be related to Media and Purchases.

I log out of Media and Purchases under settings.

Restarted my iPhone. No issues. This will also mean that I cannot download or update new apps.

When I sign back in, restarted, issue is back.

I will be waiting for the official 16.1 hopefully that fixed it.

brinkeguthrie

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020
IMG_0101.PNG

Same thing here.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
So i called Apple Support about it. We did some trouble shooting and nothing worked. They asked me to install a logging profile which i did. I uploaded my logs and screenshot while i screen share my iphone with the tech support.

They created a case number for me and they mentioned that they will update me next week of what the devs says.

They mentioned that other people who updated ios 16 have contacted them as well.

Hopefully we will have a fix soon as its very annoying.

ravenofdoom

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Have you tried just hitting cancel instead of typing in your password?

For me, that seems to make it go away until next boot, which makes me think there’s some appleID/password authentication check that happens too quickly in the OS after boot (before it’s able to confirm it’s signed in), because I’m clearly signed into everything that’s required when I navigate within the OS.

Reactions: robotica

ravenofdoom

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
I changed apple ID emails two years ago and had this happen, so that was when I did a clean install of every app from scratch from using only my new appleID email (there is no way to tel what apps are installed under old appleIDs). I hadn’t had the issue happen once after doing that on iOS 15 until I did this update.

brinkeguthrie

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020
the issue seems to be related to Media and Purchases.

I log out of Media and Purchases under settings.

Restarted my iPhone. No issues. This will also mean that I cannot download or update new apps.

When I sign back in, restarted, issue is back.

I will be waiting for the official 16.1 hopefully that fixed it.
I believe this is the problem. I am signed into 11 Pro Max; yet I just tried to DL 'ABC News' and rather get the 'side click to download' thing; it asked for my PW. Er.....ok.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I just started having this issue with my new 14 Pro Max on 16.0.1. I did not have previously on my 13 on ios 16. As others have mentioned it’s the Apple ID that’s related to media and purchases. My primary iCloud account is a different Apple ID and is not requiring any log in.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
my icloud id is same as my apple id which i use in Media and Purchases. Yet it still asks for password every restart.

so annoying. No update yet from Support. I think this may take a while. Or i hope there is a fix soon - ios 16.0.2

tor_2

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
Spain
Any news from Apple? I have the same issue 😞. I set up my old phone as new in order to fix the battery issue, and since then, every time I restart, I am asked to introduce the Apple ID…

148KPT

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
My wife and I have the same issue, 13 Pro & SE2, both upgraded from IOS15. Its an annoyance so be good to get a fix or workaround soon.

brinkeguthrie

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020
Updated to 16.02. no change in behavior. asking for sign in when already signed in.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.PNG
    IMG_0115.PNG
    818.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Reactions: Godsbusy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.